[My] Life in Wisconsin

"GRAND"~Parents!

Good (Almost) Afternoon!

As I had posted earlier on the week, I had received emails regarding the deaths of friends loved ones... Both of the ladies that passed on were grandmothers to people that are very close to my heart.

I am sure you all recall the funny picture I had posted about an unrecognizable person grabbing attempting to grab someones backside on Christmas... This was not a blasophemous mockery; it was only a bit of fun. For those of you that might not recall such a post, here is that picture again...

(John had missed the previous posting and I told him last night that I would repost it just for him)! OK, nobody else look!

.

.

John Pryes Reading My Christmas Cards! ...12-25-06 ...hehehe
.
.

It was Johns mom that passed away. She was 81 years old. She had 5 children. 14 grandchildren, and 14 GREAT~Grandchildren! What a lovely family to have had, and what a "GRAND" legacy for her to have left behind! Johns daughters and my own all worked together at Wouters Front... (as I did too)! And through the years now I have grown to love this whole family like my very own.

John was not at Pfotenhauers right away... and all were worried for him because he had spent an appointment earlier in the day with a cardiologist. (The tests they ran showed a 50% blockage by his heart... They are going to try to correct this without either surgery or a stent). But last night being late, and with no answer at his home, those girls were getting plenty worried! He did show up just late is all! It was such a very warm gathering last night; and though the circumstances were certainly not the finest, it is always good to see the family too... Traci, the oldest- Brandy, and Crystal, (she is incidentally the "CRIS" in my previous blog that had sent me the forward about teachers). And the youngest, Stephani, (who is just a few days older than my own CaseyAnne). Casey and Jenny Mella came to the wake for a few minutes too- Had to leave though, having a volleyball double~header to play at the Watering Hole! Oh she does love her v~ball! Good exercise too!!!

The other lady who has passed is my friend Kellis Hubbys grandmother. She was 98! (And she would have been 99 next month)! Like Mrs. Pryes, she leaves behind a wonderful legacy of family... 5 children, 11 grandchildren and 12 GREAT~Grandchildren!

I find myself in awe of such lives they have led. I do not know of your own families, but I remember little/nothing of my own grandparents. My fathers father passed away in 1934, so of course I did not know him. His mother actually lived here with us until she passed away in late 1961. (Perhaps my sister Mary would have memories of her, but I do not). Just pictures. But I do remember her huge bed being in the backroom... and that room was always called "Grandma's Room" (Funny how to this day I call it that).

.

.

Grandma Yusvak, and I (Fall 1959)
.
.

My mothers parents also passed away in the early 60's and I do not recall them either. Again, I have pictures of them, and can see the love in their souls, but have no recall.

.
.
Visiting Grandpa VandenPlas at the Nursing Home... Mary and I , me, far right, (clearly not impressed with moms camera)... the others in the photo are Dad, and our foster brothers and sister. (Charles, Norman and Diane Bruss). I often still wonder what happened to them all...
.
.

Upon doing my adoption search in late 1986, I did have a chance to meet/know my birthmothers mother. I never really had a grandmother before; but she sure had lots of grandbabies! She was very spirited and kind... She too has passed away now. I missed meeting my birthfathers mother by such a very short while... That is why I always love to stay in her home in Sault Ste. Marie! Too see her things, and to try to know how she lived and loved just by 'being' there- To be able to get the 'feel' of the home she had...

There were times while I was growing up that I watched almost all the other kids that talked about their grandfathers doing this or their grandmothers doing that; their own family reunions and such. While it was always fun to listen, I felt left out somehow by the fact that I did not 'have' grandparents like they did.

And yet, as I write, I feel so happy that all the people that I know/love above were able to know their grandmothers- and are able to recall them and how special those memories are in their own hearts now. While I am sorry that they are grieving right now; they will always have that wonderful power of recall. I blieve my 3 eldest remember my dad... He died before Casey was born... And they ALL remember my mom ...and can tell the most wonderful (and funny) stories too!!!

I am wondering if you knew your grandparents? Were they the wonderful people that most of us have had? What were their eccentricities? Did Grampa fish? Did Grandma make the best cookies?

Just being nosy...

That said, I am more than a bit stir crazy at the moment... My mouth hurts (STILL, dammitallanyway)! I shall take a walk to the woods with "my girls" (and get over it as soon as I feel cold enough)!

Have a very "GRAND" and special weekend!

XOXO
Anne

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment