[My] Life in Wisconsin

Young Lady Casey; and Old Man River


.
.
.
7C Sign

Caseys New Unit
.
.
Good Late Afternoon Everyone;
I am sorry to not have blogged earlier- Just was so worn out.

As was Casey.
So much pain, and so little relief; no matter how much they turned up her painkiller, she could only sleep for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. This is not conducive to healing.

I called the hospital about 3 times Monday night, overnight.
Yes, she was still in pain, and little/no sleep.

This was Casey waking up Tuesday morning- I had gotten there before she'd woke, and gone in search of her nurse. We chatted a bit, and I would go wait til Casey woke...


.
.
Waking Up

This was just after another of her 15 minute naps.
She had just been resting when I had gone in there.
.

.

.
.
Casey
10 minutes later, she was up and sitting in a chair...
.
.
Not sure what the heck happened to her back during the surgery,
but when she came to, it was hurting her awful.
Relieved when she walked,
though that made everything else hurt more.
That, and she is so very weak.
One of the nurses came in and helped her get up and about too.

I took over after taking this picture...
.


.
.
Casey and Laura

They sure have fancy clothes in this hospital, no?
.
.
As we walked around the place, there were different things to be seen. Especially the views from the 7th floor. But sad to say, my pictures were taken through some mighty dirty windows and didn't turn out for the most part.

We came upon this room, and I had to open the door and peek in...
.
.
.

meditation
.

meditation room
Very very cool!

Although I find it very odd that they have NO hypnotists available,
especially thinking how much pain relief may be gained through hypnosis
.

.

Speaking of the view,
this is taken from her room...


.
.
View

That is The Mississippi River.
.
.

Each time I visited yesterday, there was no great improvement. And oh how it hurts me to see her in such non~retractable pain.
Last night she was still awake so we hiked some more. She IS a trooper!

But her back is just awful. (I still want to know why)?!


As we walked, another nurse at the desk was trying to contact a doctor who maybe would prescribe something for her to sleep.

Her saline had gone dry-
Her nurse, (Mary)? changed the bag.


.

.
KC Rest

We talked a bit, and I even gave her my blog address!
.
.

Casey.

As I left her last night...
.
.
Casey
So tiny- So frail
.

.
I came back here, and had problems falling asleep myself... Nice to have the computer for those times.

Later to turn the TV on too. Nothing was on- Bunch of noise and distraction.
That seemed to help.

I didn't wake until it was light out! Not like me at all!
But it was good to sleep too...

I wondered if Casey would call; I did not want to wake her up if she was sleeping.

She did call around 9, and sounded good!
Would I bring her this and that? Of course!

She said they had given her toradol
(sp), and that she had also gotten some good sleep.

So I hustled up there fast as I could...


This is what I walked in on...


.
.
Wake up

Less than 48 hours post surgery!
(Ain't she cute)?!?
.
.
After she had washed up and changed, we were off walking again.
She has gotten rid of her foley catheter, (and her "fall" bracelet)
and can now go for walks on her own.


.

.

Walk
.

.
She stopped at a wall chart
to point out all the 'innards' she is missing...

.

.
GI TRACT
.

.
And then sat in the sunroom for a bit
.
.
Casey in the patient lounge.
Oops I think this was a Tuesday picture...
Oh well.
We sat there today too.

She eats her ice.
(How very yummy and nutritious)!


.
.
happy

She has been told that she can have clear liquids tomorrow...
Baby steps for my baby girl.
.

And now what you have been waiting for...

Drum roll please?
.
.
.
.

.
.
scar healing

TADA!!!!!!

"Look Mom, no zipper!"
hehehe

They taped her together!
Using the same scar, and just extending it lower a bit.

.
.
And that is the last two days for us.
Punk needed to see Casey too, so I brought her up to visit this afternoon.


Casey had wanted me to bring her computer.
Maybe she will even feel good enough to blog in the next day or two. Hopefully.

Hope all is well with everyone- My apologies for not getting to your own blogs, or even answering all of your notes.
Please bear with me.
(I can't even get to them right now either- Punk has been patient enough).

Hope all is well with everyone
My love to all

XOXO
Anne



Posted to my Y! 360, Wednesday April 8, 2009 - 05:39pm (CDT)

38 comments:

  1. Casey is looking so much better! Thank God!
    I'm glad you both got some sleep.
    Prayers & hugs to you both
    And of course to Punk for her patience!
    Love to all
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the question everyone wants to know - innie or outie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear that the pain is subsiding and Casey is feeling better .. I know the last few days have been very rough for both of you so don't you go worrying about "us" , we are doing fine , just concerned about you and Casey .. She is a trooper and I am so glad to see her looking better .. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! She looks great! She is so tough. I'm glad they finally found something to help her sleep and to feel better. I am also glad you finally got a good rest. I like that meditation room. It looks relaxing. I bet Casey loves to see Punk.
    How is your head? Rest up my dear friend and don't forget to take care of yourself too.
    As always you are both in my thoughts and prayers.
    Lots of love to you both!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's looking good!!! Glad to see her up and about. Hope things keep improving and hope you both get a good night's sleep tonight. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well. Continued prayers for all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks great, Anne. No slightest indication of what she went through... A real trooper indeed.
    The hospital looks like a great place too, especially the sunroom.

    Hope things will keep on improving. Thanks for the update, Anne. Take good care of yourself too...
    Love & hugs to both of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difference a good nights sleep can make!! So glad that you and her both got to get some much needed rest. I am so very happy that she is doing better! When are they thinking about letting her come home??

    Gotta love the meditation room. The hospital my Mom was in had one. I spent some time there. Was a good place for me to get my thoughts together before I would go visit Mom. LOVE that sun room too! And so nice to actually see the sun shining!

    Will keep prayers coming your way!

    All my love to you and Casey!

    Slurkie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ALl I can say is the few times I have stayed in the hospital ( and we know that's at least 4, LOL), my back killed me and that's not normal for me. It bothered me worse than my three c-sections. I think hospital beds suck, and no amount of pillows help.

    She is looking good after a good nights sleep. Sleep will prolly help her survive the pain too.
    Glad she is getting out n about. Makes you feel so much better in the long run. And whoo hoo on the clear liquids coming. Much better than ice chips.

    Our hospital has what a appears to be a beautiful(from the outside view) chapel building. While Mike spent so much time in the hospital, I never made it in there :( With things being uncertain so much of the time, I couldn't drag myself there. Thankful my church sent a pastor everyday to check on Mike, although sometimes I think they came more for me :D

    Love that sun room too.

    Prayers are continuing for her recovery and your sanity ((((ANNE and Casey))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my goodness how good she is looking.. And that scar isnt gonna be too bad.. Its really really good to see how well she is doing.
    Yeah on the clear liquids.. coming right along!

    As to the back.. well.. hopefully as she heals the back will get better.

    Now try to get some rest!

    Many hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOT!!!

    We chatted about food this morning a bit. She is starving (good sign methinks) and in serious want of caffiene.

    Wishing for tomoroow quickly!

    Glad to see they decided against the velcro.

    XOXOXOOX
    Pea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so happy to see the Casey you went in and found this morning. She looks beautiful and her
    face don't show what she's been through and is still going through!! I came several times last night
    to look for updates and then I was running back and forth all day. My husband said I was wearing a
    path out..haha WE are all praying and will continue to do so. Just do your part and rest!! Casey
    can't get better and you can't help her if the two of you don't rest, so here's lots of prayer for rest
    and healing. Love, hugs & blessings.....Bev xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS...meant to tell you that when I am in the hospital my back hurts so much I can hardly move and
    it's all in the bed!!! The last time they actually went in search of a recliner and found one, and that
    is what I used the whole week. Praise God, but that was Good!!! I'm sure it came right from heaven.
    G'Nite and happy dreams...xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. still giggling at the "where's Waldo" map to Casey's missing organs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Bug!
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Casey so very bright eyed and bushy tailed today.
    Hopefully with the liquids tomorrow, she will be even more so!
    If they let her sleep tonight.
    hehehe

    Punk has almost everybody at the hotel wrapped around her little dewclaw.
    She is heaven sent some days.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr KhoolMan;
    You are a nut.
    Of course it's an inny. There is nothing inside to push the darned thing out.
    I shall have to tie a helium balloon onto every one of her belly button rings so they don't get lost.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  16. Sweet Carolyn;
    I was happy to see her with so much p*ss and vinegar today.
    Hope and pray that the worst is over, and the food she will be allotted will keep making her stronger and stronger.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm leaving for calif for a week, but I wanted to check in one last time to check on Casey and she looks wonderful!! Gosh she is so strong. there is definately a reason for her life here We are going to continue to see great things from this kid!
    Im glad you rested hon. thinking of you both
    xoxoxo
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet Darla;
    She DOES look great--- after a few days of complete bs, it was a huge relief!
    (I don't think SHE knows how good she looked)!

    My head is alright. Trying not to change anything that seems to be keeping it at bay.
    I can't complain- (But that was one he!! of a time to get a migraine).
    Grrr...

    Kiss Mr. Dalton for me.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet Doubtfire!
    Even at her worst, she demanded to be able to at least get in the chair. (And THAT was Monday)!
    You can't keep this young lady down for long.
    I am hanging in there- have just gotten in with Punk for the last time tonight and will be sleeping shortly.
    God willing...

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet Ruzie!
    I don't know how she does it, but her will to get up and about is amazing.
    Maybe she could be a poster child for "get outta bed after surgery"

    The hospital is very unique- and is much like a diagonal open-ended hourglass.
    Every floor has 4 separate, but related, units.

    Casey knows the floor plans almost like the back of her hand! And she even knows the shortcuts to avoid certain things, or to get back to her room.
    Bet she walks 5 miles a day- Just like when she had her TP/AIT.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet SlurkieBaby!

    When she first came out of surgery Dr, Sutherland was thinking that maybe she could have gone by Friday.
    Now they are talking maybe Monday.
    I just hope she keeps being able to sleep and to walk around.
    (Just not at the same time)!

    The sun has been shining- A bit of a chill to the air- (but that's a good thing- It keeps me walking better from the ramp to the hospital).

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet Oka;
    They had to have not used any mattress beneath her. (Her back never bothered her after her 13+ hour surgery in December)!!!
    So something went weird with the way she laid or something...

    I haven't seen a chapel there yet. I am sure there is one.
    But I say many many prayers as I lie down to sleep. And most nights I fall asleep talking to God too. I'm almost positive He doesn't mind...

    XOXO
    Me


    PS
    Please define "sanity" ???

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow she looked so good today the tada picture made me hurt ouch.I have a huge scar on my belly from many years ago and i know how bad it hurt.But she looks good got a little color back on her after finally getting a good night sleep ,and up walking already that's great.She is a very strong young lady and very pretty to.I Pray that after this pain goes away she wont have any more.The back could be from moving her from one bed to another like they do when you have surgery and from laying so long and moving the inside around.Will keep praying for you both.Hugs maudie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet Beep!
    They actually glued her closed. No staples this time...
    And removed the bandages today, replacing them with tagaderm.
    (She is terrible allergic, even to paper tape, and all she can stand is the tagaderm stuff).

    The scar?
    Won't it be a grand story to be telling her kids and grandkids!

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sweet Pea;
    Did you chat or tweet?
    I think it is good that she is hungry too!
    They always ask after a surgery if you have passed gas. Tells them that your bowels are working...
    So when she told the one nurse that earlier, the nurse said "well you haven't passed enough."

    WHAT?!?

    hehehe at the velcro...

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sweet Bev;
    I am so sorry that I didn't post an update- I only had answered Peachie on the calendar one when she'd asked for an update.

    I know it is already past my bedtime.

    Time for some shuteye for me too.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  27. The recliner is a great idea!
    I wonder if they would let her try it?
    Shall ask.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  28. That is SO funny that you brought up Waldo.
    i was thinking about the poor guy as I was posting that picture!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  29. Sweet Pamela!
    Have fun in California!

    And while you are away, Casey will improve by leaps and bounds, and so I shall sleep!
    hehehe
    Miss me a little!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sweet Maudie;
    I am really wondering if the colon is attached anywhere that may be mistaken for back pain?
    God only knows HERS isn't attached to anything anymore...
    I'm no doctor, so what do I know?

    She is and always was such a go-getter.
    If anyone said no, she showed them how. I am thinking maybe even a few of her teachers might have seen that side of her from time to time.
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete


  31. I am off to bed!
    And am thanking each and every one of you for your continued prayers and love and hugs and support.

    Love to all

    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  32. That scar is not bad at all. I was almost expecting to see a zipper installed though.

    She is looking good. Glad she (and YOU) finally got some much needed sleep. Sleep is most definitely what the body needs for the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Remember too, your abdomen muscle work in conjunction with your back muscles. Your "core" muscles are your abs and back muscles. Maybe two surgeries so close together, and the back finally said "OWE".

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so good to see Casey up and about, and hungry too! She has more spunk and tenacity than anyone I've ever known. I wonder if you could get someone at the hospital to give Casey a deep muscle massage to help her back? I hope she doesn't have to just be on liquids for long, I know she'll be happy when she can start eating regular food again. Hugs for both of you (and Punk!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Im so relieved to see Casey doing better. You had me worried from the beginning of the blog. She looks so much better in the pictures after her rest. You can see such a difference around her eyes.

    I echo all the wonderful things already stated here, Casey is an amazing young lady and if you ask me, she is a medical miracle to survive the loss of so many 'parts'.
    God bless her always.

    I'm not forgetting you either, Miss Annie. You are in my prayers daily. Take care of yourself and remember how much we love you. (Which is a whole lot :)

    (((*HUGS*)))

    ReplyDelete
  36. we tweeted...

    They wanted me to wait until I "pooped" after my last surgery. I looked that nurse in the eye and said, I wasn't allowed to eat after 6 PM yesterday, my surgery was delayed almost eight hours TODAY so it is now 9 pm, where is this mythical poop supposed to come from?

    The velcro conversation was a funny one too that ended with thoughts of what Greg might think when he hugged her post op and heard the tell tale "sccccriiiitch of velcro.


    XOXOXOOX'
    P

    ReplyDelete
  37. hehehehhee

    Great minds and all that,

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is so cool that you could bring Punk to visit......

    Sending Good Thoughts and Prayers your way.....

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete