[My] Life in Wisconsin

The Clothesline. and "THE BASIC RULES"

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Other
How much more "green" can you get?

Do you have one? (Do you use it)?

The photos are mine, the following words from my Aunt via email...

*****************************

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the 'fancy sheets'
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the 'company table cloths'
With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It said, 'Gone on vacation now'
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, 'We're back!' when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
And looked the other way....
~
Cnv0218
~

But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!

*****************************
THE BASIC RULES

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes.
Walk the length of each line with a damp cloth around the line.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order and always hang whites with whites and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders, always by the tail.
What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday!
Never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could; hide your 'unmentionables' in the middle.

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather, clothes would 'freeze dry.'
~
Cnv1430
~
(Just that sometimes you can't even get to the line, save for a camera).

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes.
Pins left on the line was 'tacky'.

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED??????????
Well, that's a whole 'nother subject.

hehehe

My sister, Mary, knowingly built a home where one of the restrictive covenants were "no clotheslines".
(Missing the wonderful smell alone, I would have found another lot).

XOXO
Me

8 comments:

  1. I remember that poem, love it. Wish I had room for a clothesline like that at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hanging cloths outside at the old house. I would run through the rows.

    One time my mom hung my swim suit on the cloths line but I was to short to get it off...so I hopped in the kiddie pool butt naked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had a clothesline... I LOVE how sheets smell after being dried on the line...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with a clothesline dryer too. After a few years the lines would start to sag a bit and we had to "prop" the line up with a wooden pole made just for the purpose of "propping." Monday was washday and my mom always had the laundry all done and we were usually collecting it around noon. The collecting process was mine and my sisters job. We also shared the ironing duties. I hated that part. I own an iron and an ironing board that has never seen anywhere near as much use as the one did when I was growing up. I still hate ironing!

    There is a clothesline here that we share with our neighbor but the only use it gets is for those things we don't want ruined in the dryer. That's Usually just the rugs or an oversized comforter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never had a clothesline.. and I love the smell of dryer sheets :- )

    But the poem was lovely. I rather enjoyed it.. I understand the words were not your own, but thank you for sharing.

    Nyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my clothes drying outside, but last fall the clothesline broke and I thought I'd never get a new
    one because my husband is not as able to climb the tree that it's attached to. However, my daughter went out this week and bought the line and the pulleys and she climbed the tree and now
    the clothesline is all set up and the clothes are smelling so good!! I just love it. That poem is so
    true...just like it used to be and still is. My husband used to laugh at me because of the whites being
    next to the whites and with me they all had to be the same length too!!! Thanks for sharing....
    Love, Bev xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a clothes line of my own but I have a wonderful neighbor who lets us borrow hers and I love it. I guess I will have to put one up sooner or later. It is a little more work but it is worth it. I still put my stuff that wrinkles really bad in the dryer though. I am just not into ironing at all. I loved the poem. Have a great day!!!!!!! May we always enjoy the simple things.

    ReplyDelete