[My] Life in Wisconsin

Still Spring?

  magnify

Good Morning All;
I hope you are all safe from the nasty storms that have been all over. Again, we have been very lucky so far. (That may change today according to my forecast). We are to be in the mid 80's, and already a 70% humidity.
Hope everyone is safe from the terrible temperatures too. Too many 90, 100+ temps all over.
My heart goes out to anyone that has to work outside in these temps; and to those of you that have to work inside without a bit of air conditioning too.

Way back when I was married, my husband worked at a paper mill in Green Bay- He still does, just that conditions have changed a bit since. Back before they built the new mill, the temps in the building would go over 130 degrees in the heat (from both the weather and the machines). Somehow, they all lived through it.

When I worked at the store at Wouters, I was mostly comfy, unless the "air" (or the furnace), wasn't working. But back in the kitchen (where all of my girls worked through high school), there was no A/C.
(A fan or two, and to keep the big door open so maybe a breeze would come through the screen door).
I imagine it is still bad on the busy weekend nights for the cooks and their helpers.

While we have not gotten the miserable heat, it has been sunny and warm.
I went into town the other day, leaving Punk at home because where I was going there is no shade. It gets hot in a car very quickly and I am not taking a chance like that. Nor do I want to be leaving windows open- Someone would probably steal her.

That same line of thinking should apply to children, don't you think?
That was not the case as we came out of Woodmans after doing our grocery shopping. I had opted for drive up because of my back, and the fact that Casey has not been feeling well. As we got in the car she said, "Mom, there's a kid in that car!"

WTH???

Sure enough...


.
.
Cnv0272
Tucked on the floor, in the front seat...
With the windows open.
God, he could have been taken -
and halfway to Milwaukee before the lady came out.


I called Randy- He was on duty, but a ways away too.-
Casey went back into the store to inform the manager
.
The manager came out, taking down the license plate number as well.

.
.
Cnv0274

Unfortunately, (or fortunately), the woman left before Randy got there.

.
.
I just wish people would take care of their kids. This woman clearly didn't care!
Not sure if anything happened to her. But I sure as hell hope so.

An FYI for you all... 
Temps in the mere 50's with sunshine on an enclosed vehicle can heat a car to 100+ degrees in a very short while.




Speaking of 100 degrees, Prattville, Alabama is to be hitting the 100's for the next few days. Thankfully Grandma Gaither has a pool.
My son in law William called a few days ago-
My grandson Lawrence is on the Swim Team, and has gotten all GREAT grades this year too! (Think Straight A's)!
He will be in the 5th grade next year- I am so proud of him!
He is 9 this year. And getting more and more handsome all the time too!
.
.
Cnv0267
Lawrence on the right,
celebrating his birthday with a friend and a Star Wars cake!

.
.
.

Cnv0270
.
.
.
He is also learning how to handle the guns in a good way. (Thank you William)!

.
.
.
Cnv0269
At the shooting range
.
.
.
Cnv0268
And all smiles when he hits what he's aiming at!
Attaboy!
.
.
Back to Wisconsin...
Jenne took Isaiah and Punk to the woods yesterday afternoon.
.
.
Cnv0275
Rather, Isaiah and Punk took Jenne to the woods!
hehehe
.
.
.
Cnv0280
Isaiah thought the toidy in the woods was pretty cool
.
.
(And Punk accidentally fell in the river)...

.
Cnv0279
.
.
Dirty as the river is right now, all stirred up from rain, she needed a bath.
Which she got. hehehe
.
.
Cnv0281
Jenne brushing her out afterward
.
.
.
Cnv0282
Curly wet- My soggy doggy!
.
Casey has just gotten here. Jenne and Isaiah are up, (and I'd best get in the shower before no one wants to talk to me)! hehehe


Love to all

Have a fantabulous Friday!

XOXO
Me


PS
Oops... As promised:
How I keep the little 4 legged, non-winged varmints away from the birdfeeder
.
.
Cnv0284

A half of a cookie holder form the deli, with all four corners cut.
I've only seen one try to get up there.
He failed miserably, as he grabbed and tumbled right back down!

hehehe





Friday June 19, 2009 - 09:10am (CDT)

20 comments:

  1. I hope they find that woman also Anne and charge her .. Some people are just so stupid..

    I would not stand those kinds of temps .. Its been beautiful here though but temps up in the 80's which is lovely..

    Sounds like your day is going to be nice with Isiah , Jenne and Casey .. Have a great weekend yourself ..Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Carolyn!
    Oh I was so mad- and CaseyAnne was fit to be tied too!
    Who the hell does that to their kid/grandkid? (I couldn't tell which that woman was)...

    I do not know how people live through the godawful temps- I would be hibernating in the basement.

    I can barely stand 80+ degrees- (Got fried silly sick more than a few times baling hay etc as a kid, heat and humidity just don't agree with me at all).
    I always say I have a 2½ degree comfort zone - right at 72 degrees, with a breeze in the sun.

    I will be getting to your blog shortly Sweets! (But 1st that darn shower)! ;-)

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. with the summer temps here in Phx that baby could have died from heat exhaustion, it is illegal here to leave babies and animals in the car. People here call the police straight away when they see a child left unattended. just yesterday inside my sons car read 118 degrees after being parked in a mall parking lot for a little under an hour while he went to get a hair cut. I hope law enforcement follows through in finding that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think people could learn from others mistakes instead of their own. How many times in the past few years has it been on the news that a child died due to an idiotic parent leaving the child in a car???? or kidnapped from leaving them in the car???? Sheesh, I hope the cops at least went a scared the shiat out of that mother.

    Your grandson in Alabama seems to be doing well. I still think sports and music programs help children succeed better n school. They learn more discipline with Music or Sports.

    Stay as cool as possible. I have been hiding in the house mostly, but I have the excuse of a sick kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anne...it's so nice to be back. I was shocked to see & hear about that baby. No one can
    still be that stupid. What a sin that people like that are able to have kids when so many intelligent
    people can never have any. Makes a person wonder!!! I'm glad you and Casey did something
    about it. :) I'm also hoping the Police will too.

    By the way, you mentioned that Casey hadn't been feeling well. Is it something else connected to
    what she already had or is it something different?? Anything serious?? I sure hope not. But it
    seems to me that if it was serious you would have told us...right???

    Well it's warm here at 66 degrees...lol I think it's the warmest it's been yet, but we have a good
    breeze. It does look like it's going to rain or something.

    I'm going to see if I can write an intelligent blog so I can tell everyone at once where I've been
    and why. LOL

    Have a wonderful day. Big hugs & blessings,
    Bev xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mommy,

    Yes we have been lucky (knock on teeth) that those storms have stayed at bay... The temps haven't been too bad although it was 98°F in Texas when we were loading up the truck... YUCK! Nyk even changed into her swimming suit top to be comfortable while driving...

    I remember working in the kitchen at Wouters' Front. It was exhausting... Especially since I was a dishwasher and rarely left the kitchen; only to put dishes away that came from the bar area. The change in temp from kitchen to bar was very noticeable and I took my time making those rare trips just to get cooled off a bit... It did help that we kitchen staff had our own CD player and could play whatever we wanted. The focus was taken away from the heat that way.

    Seeing that kid in the car just made me sick... NO CHILD NOR ANIMAL should be left in this heat. The car was not running and you're correct to say that he very well could've been taken. He was 11 years old so fully capable of staying with his mother in the grocery store. I don't remember EVER waiting in the car unless you ran into the post office or somewhere else for less than a minute. You left the car running and we were all taught NOT to touch the gear lever...

    That brings me back to the incident at Wal-Mart that I had a year ago or so. Greg, Buck and I had made a run there for New Year's celebration. We didn't have champagne glasses nor champagne for the guests so we made a quick run. As we pulled into a parking spot, the car next to us had three kids in it. It was not running and the temp was well below zero. Two were in the back seat. One looked to be about 1 year old, the other no older than 2. In the front was a 5 year old. The children in the back were trying badly to get out of the car probably because they were freezing. I went in and told management who called the police. There was ice forming on the windows already so there was no telling how long they had been left there. I just can't imagine that it is that DIFFICULT to get those kids out of the car and bring them in with you... I assume they were charged with neglect. This was all just after a child died in the car from being left in there for just 15 min...

    What a sweet birthday cake Mr. Lawrence got!!! VERY COOL! Also, it is wonderful about the swim team and the straight A's! GO LAWRENCE! I'm glad to know he is happy and well taken care of... Going to the range is always fun! I wish I had been taught earlier, but Jesse' did a fine job when we got around to it! I couldn't believe how good I was at it either! Must've gotten that from you, Miss Annie Oakley!

    I'm glad Punkie got to visit the river! Imagine Jenne's shock when she dove in and she wasn't expecting it!! She thought Punk wasn't supposed to do that... It is hard to keep her out of the water, she loves it SO much!!

    Great thinking when it comes to the four-legged creatures attempting to get at the bird feeder! Must be quite the hoot seeing them try it now!!!

    Well, I must close for now and get back to making Christy's graduation card...

    Love you Much Much!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Pamela;
    We all hear of SO many of those sad stories... Why don't people listen and pay attention and realize how fast this can happen?
    it is illegal here too (summer AND winter).

    I hope they nailed he @ss too.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Bev!
    (And let me say it is nice to have you back too)!

    The manager of Woodmans asked the kid how old he was. He said 11.
    I sure don't believe that.

    As far as Casey goes... She gets a fever for a few days, pain in her insides, then goes in and is told that there isn't anything to be done anymore.
    She has an appointment back to Minnesota early next month.
    And still my back will not travel...
    At any rate- this all might have something to do with her innards, or the fact that her spleen is gone too. It is still all new to us, no matter how much research we do.
    Doctor Sutherland will surely have answers.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  9. What can I add?
    I love you Baby Girl!

    XOXO
    Mama D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully that woman was tracked down and SOMETHING was done. I agree with you, can't tell if she is mom or grandmom BUT she is definately old enough to know better. I don't know how you kept from saying something to her. With my big mouth I probably would have said something and got into an arguement...

    Why is Punk not smiling after her bath? She does NOT look like a happy camper!

    Hope everything is OK...

    Love You!

    Slurkie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya Sweet SlurkieBaby!
    And I didn't ask randy what happened though either.

    And do not misunderstand- Had I been in less pain and able to move better, I would definitely have said something to her face...
    Just wasn't wanting to be in a fight... (Some people are really hostile in situations like this). Mostly it would have been me though because that crap is unforgivable.

    Not sure about Punk... But I thought it was cute anyway. She looked like she was in shock or something...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your weather is nice and kudos to you for caling that woman in! Stupid stupid woman!

    The should have to be a test you have to pass before you can have kids.... and that include furbabies.

    Love your clever trick!


    Punkie is plotting how to get her fur all stinky again.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Sweet Pea;
    Inconvenience is never more important than putting a child in danger!
    She was NOT incapacitated in any way!

    Punk? Wins.
    And I sigh...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get so mad that I could just spit nails when I see situations like that,
    whether it involves kids or animals... IT'S STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE!!!
    Awhile back I saw a little boy in the front seat of a car, maybe 2 yrs old,
    then I glanced in the back seat and there was an infant in there with him;
    it couldn't have been more than 4 months old. The car was running and the
    doors were UNLOCKED and the little boy kept messing with the gearshift.
    As I got ready to approach the front of that car, a woman came out and got
    in the car (obviously didn't unlock it) and I turned around, walked up to her
    window and told her that she's just lucky that I was watching her kids for her
    and NOT a kidnapper or a pervert and that she should be more careful
    what she does with her kids. What she DIDN'T know, was that I'd ALREADY
    taken down her plate number and my friend recorded the incident with her
    camera and we gave the information to the police. Don't know what came of it,
    but someone could have taken off with that car and kids and it's hard to tell
    what could have happened to them.

    Hope they caught that woman you were talking about and punished
    her for leaving that child in a car in the extreme heat like that.

    Happy Belated Birthday to Lawrence!
    He is getting so big, and getting more handsome.
    Bet you're VERY PROUD of all his accomplishments too.


    Let's seeee......
    Punk jumped into the river.... was it over the hill?
    Did Jenne happen to toss a stick? Or was that a pine cone YOU threw????
    Do you know where I'm going with this? HEHEHEHE
    Remember... She IS a RETRIEVER!!!
    Punkie, NOT Jenne.. LOL


    Isaiah looks like he's having a BLAST!!!
    Punkie found a new best friend, didn't she.
    That's good that Isaiah has all that land to roam on,
    AND time to spend with you and the rest of the family.


    Punkie looks HUGE in that picture!
    She's still just as cute as can be.


    Love the bird feeder theory!


    Love being back here reading all about everything too!
    I sure have missed it and you!


    Hope you have a wonderful Monday.


    Love and hugs~ Susan XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. WTG Lawrence !!!

    I like Jenne's shirt, WTG Anne!!!

    Your such a wonderful animal advocate :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful shots! Yeah for Lawrence! Yeah for Dad teaching him the right way to do things!
    Congrats on that birthday too!


    Ok now get more detailed (a closeup would be a start) on that feeder thingy.. You know squirrels are smart little critters.. is it still working?


    Sorry Im so slow at catching up.. this new format for Mulitply sure has me stumped on how to keep from getting overwhelmed and then just shutting the thing down.

    Mucho Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I almost forgot.. someone leaves a child or a pet in the car around here.. they go to jail.. especially if they have the license number off the car! If its a child the child is then taken away from them.

    You know I have never understood, this kind of heat kills! People know that.. and then I sorta feel like.. You have gone to all the trouble to get the child ready to go to the store.. why not take them in.. JUST PLAIN STUPID LAZYNESS if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is still working quite nicely...
    Here's your close up!

    ~


    ~

    They try to reach around up there and the side buckles down... hehehe
    Wish I could have a microphone on them. I bet they give out a little yelp as they fall...

    ReplyDelete

  19. Oh. And it is upside down you know...

    ReplyDelete
  20. cool.. who would have thought such a simple thing would work so well

    ReplyDelete