[My] Life in Wisconsin

One Sick Puppy.


Mama, I don't feel so good...

.
Good Morning All;
We have been so darn busy- (between you and I, I much prefer it this way).

Save for the pup that is...

2 mornings ago, I was woken by her at 1:45am-
She was begging to go out. "OK kid, but just this once" hehehe
Out she went. (And I was up for the day).

This scene repeated itself any number of times that morning- And she didn't care to come back in either. By now, everyone knows that when a dog acts out of character, there is something that needs to be paid attention to.

She demanded to be fed. Too early for that.
But then I remembered that there are times that I want to be fed between meals too.
Soooo, she had an early breakfast-
Then back outside.
She came in to nap.

Casey came out, not feeling too well herself; and noticed the light pink blood on Punks backside. Pink, but definitely blood. This freaked me out, knowing that it was only a year ago in February that we lost Miss Milly (also bleeding, but profusely) from her cancers.
As I recited Doc Spires phone number by heart, Casey made the call.
We needed a clean-catch urine -kinda rough to obtain from a dog. {Think "difficult, but not impossible"}
With Casey's small animal vet background, we were able to get that from Miss Punk, (a tablespoon or so at a time). A little urine, lots of obvious blood, and some small clots too.
We were scared.
And off to see the vet...

.
.

Cnv0539
This little guy even tried to come along...  
hehehe

.
.

Cnv0540 
Dr. Spires trying to evoke a pain reflex from Punk as he checked her kidneys.
(Not sure if Casey was singing or what)?!? hehehe
.
.
The urinalysis would not be ready until the next morning. (A long wait).
So no medication until they absolutely knew what they were treating.

Punk was fine with that as we talked to the office lady before leaving.
.
Cnv0544

In the meantime to offer lots of water.
'Leading horses to water' came to mind.  But no!. we have ways...
I just put a little kids canned spaghetti in the water dish, (it sinks); and viola!, we have no problems getting this pup to drink 2 or 3 gallons of water a day!

.
.
As it turns out, Punk has her own UTI. 
Given the fact that this is an e~coli infection, she is on antibiotics for 3 weeks.
All this from a sore shoulder,
she could not 'reach' to clean herself properly, and the e~coli just happily crawled where it shouldn't have been.

Dogs are, as a rule, immune to e~coli and salmonella through ingestion of bad food. 

And yes, I clean her furry bottom twice a day now.

On the wall at the vets was this handy chart. 
This, just to blow away all those claims of one dog year equaling seven human years.

.
How Old is Your Pet?
Punk is already 38.
.
.
Please don't think that the dog is on her last leg though.  She always has energy to play a bit.
.
She even tried to keep her favorite ball away from the indomitable CocoBeans.

.
Cnv0556


Keep away didn't work...
.
.
Cnv0564 
hehehe
.
.
She also had more than enough energy to try a few dance moves with Mr. Miller.
.
.
Cnv0550 
.
.
.
Then, there are always her somersaults...
.
.
Cnv0479 
.
.
.
Cnv0481 
Oh! Why is the world spinning????
.
.
Cnv0480 
Ooooooh--- Make it stop!!!
.
.

Sputty had a new friend!
.
Cnv0566 
.
.
.

   Cnv0567 .....
(But then he ate him)!
.
.
.
For right now my little Punk is still a bit tired...
.

Cnv0568 
Dreaming of better days, and healing.

I did get most of the lawns mowed on Tuesday. What a pain that was! (No, really)..

Punk has exactly one more hour to sleep. She cries in her sleep sometimes and breaks my heart.  Casey has an appointment at 7:30 and I'd best get a move on it if I am to shower and get her there in time. 

Love to all

XOXO
Me

14 comments:

  1. awwwwwwe poor Punk, i hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww! I do hope Punk is feeling better soon! Casey looks good in the pictures, how is she feeling? What about you too? How's that toe coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh... why is it we ALL get sick at the same time? Poor punkie... I hope she is back to her normal self in no time....



    I see Mr miller has decided it is spring and is in his summer gear...

    Miss Is iz younger than we thought.... though it depends on if you are counting by her "what she weighs" versus her "what she SHOULD weighs"...


    she DOES weigh 26 pounds....she SHOULD weigh over 50.


    Miss Larssen is firmly in the "old enough to know better" group....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Punk does get a lot better Anne and yes Casey does look great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Pamela;
    She is already feeling much better. I can judge this by 2 things:

    1. She does not whine to go outside all the time.
    2. She hasn't woke me up in the middle of the night for 3 days.

    On Tuesday night, as I slept so very soundly, I woke to just one bark from her.
    Loud.
    Very LOUD!
    Did I mention it was directly in my face?!
    Good Lord she scared me!
    (I must have not woken to her trying to wake me nicely).

    Of course i let her out immediately. (After making sure I still had a pulse that is).

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Suzy!
    Casey has many good, and a few rough, days.
    Kind of normal- par for the course and all.
    (It is when she has her 'rougher' and 'roughest' days that are so bad).

    My toe is ok! I haven't thought of it in a few days so it must be all healed. (Though I still do throw a bandage on it after I shower).

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Pea;
    Aren't you better yet????????
    Sheesh, when you pick up a bug at the hospital, it is a really tough one!

    I giggled at Mr Millers "Summer gear"! He is in his 50's so by years end he will be ready to retire. hehehe
    (Just not sure from what)...

    If IZZY B should weigh 50+ just to be healthy, then I would take the should be age. (I am guessing it is older)?

    Laughing at Miss Larss being old enough to know better.
    So is CocoBeans. Actions speak louder than reason.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  8. Thank you Mr. Lester!
    On both counts!!! :-)

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  9. Mr What

    That is really really OLD!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. no, not better yet.... not even a little bit. The last "hospital bug" I picked up was the strep in my lungs that nearly killed me so am trying really hard to rest as much as possible.

    I kept saying Miss Is iz pushing 113.... Your chart has her at....92 or 104 based on which weight you choose.


    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Punk! You can see the pain in her face. Knowing that she is whimpering in her sleep makes me feel so bad for her. Just like our kids....we don't want our pets to be hurting either.

    Now that pet age chart has me even more confused. My cat is oh.....about 6 years old...and weighs about 21 pounds. Does that mean he is 42 years old by human age?

    Anne... I got that book today. Was quite surprised and thrilled to see what it was. THANK YOU! I thumbed through it and gosh....it is ALL sooooooo interesting! Bad weather headed in here later, so I'm Gonna start reading on it tonight. My niece called as I was opening it and I told her what it was about and now she wants to read it too.
    I never buy a book new. Most of the books I get come from Library sales or yard sales. Even bought a few that was missing the covers. LOL! But like you said....as long as the words are intact with all the pages in place then I'm fine with it.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to read that Punk is feeling better. Casey does look very well.
    Think we are finalling getting past the crud we had picked up. Now its mainly allergies as the
    pollen here is still aggrevating us. Hoping the rain we are getting tonight helps wash the air.

    Glad your toe feels better. We are getting ready for Bruce's "toe" surgery on the 4th of May. The 3rd time has to be the charm ..right??
    The screw the Dr in Birmingham put in last March..that he saw in an xray 3 days after the last
    surgery that the screw was too long... is now poking into the 2nd toe(which the Dr last yr said couldn't
    happen) and causing issues. He'll be totally off his feet for 6-7 weeks. He won't be able to drive as it is his right foot. I'm going back to the Dr next week and get "nerve" pills...for HIM...lol He's had surgery
    in 2007(his back..out 6 months), 2008 (out 3 months with the 1st toe surgery), 2009( out 2 months so
    that where he broke 2 screws could be fixed) and now 2010..here we are to one more time...at least 6-7 weeks .
    And the meds for Drew's foot that cost me $118.00 last Thursday..they decided this week aren't workking fast enough so they aren't going to use that any longer..WTH??? They want to go back to skin grafts.. someone shoot me now!
    Hope ya'll continue to healing. Catch you later ...nigth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear Punk is feeling somewhat better ... Glad ur toe is healing .. Hope your back is not giving you too much grief .. Casey is looking better and I hope she has alot more good days then bad ones .. Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete