[My] Life in Wisconsin

Form Letters. Casey's Iron. Dead Fish. (Does it get any better than this)?



   Drip. Drip. Drip...


Good Morning Everyone-
Oh! I am SO far behind once again...

What a few weeks these have been for us.
We learned that Casey's pancreatic enzymes are no longer on the FDA's approved list of medications. The only 3 that are, are meds she has had problems with already.
Those 3, are also of the delayed release variety. (And I hesitate to use the word "variety". They are all the same, different combos of the same meds).
Casey cannot take any of these 3 as she experiences more nausea, pain and delayed gastric emptying (what she had surgery to be rid of in January).

What to do? I have already written to the FDA, (who of course replied with a note about the issue that I already knew).  I hate form letters.

I then got hold of a friend of mine. Sheila is a pharmacist and is trying to learn any tips that might work for Casey to be able to use one of the three products.  Please say a little prayer or two?

It still amazes me, even though I grew up with Miss Sheila, the sheer number of people that have come together in this godawful fight we have to simply keep Casey alive and pain free. Whether by prayers, or love, or information, or all 3. This illness of Casey's has brought so many of us together.

CaseyAnne received her 2nd iron blood infusion on Tuesday at 8:30.
It is a 2 hour appointment.
... Or, better said, it should have been a 2 hour appointment. It took them over an hour and 15 minutes to be able to get a good enough vein to flow.
Casey has been poked so very many times that she has veins that roll and infiltrate immediately.




Cnv0797 
Casey explains to Lisa which veins might work anymore..
.
But Miss Lisa hits one that does not work. Lisa has a rule to only try once in these situations. She calls in another nurse.

.
Cnv0798 
.
Then 2 more nurses...
.
.
Cnv0799
Well, you get the picture...
On and on and on it went.
This is NOT a problem with the nursing staff. It is a problem that Casey will deal with for the rest of her life. (I'd even suggested using the veins in her legs and tipping the chair all the way back).
She should have had a port installed years ago... We didn't know.


I had to go outside and let Punk out so she could go potty. -When Kelli had been over the previous evening Punk had peed no less than about 25 times in 1/2 an hour.  Figuring her UTI wasn't fixed (after 3 weeks of pills!), I had made a mental note to let her out of the car, often.

When I came back inside, this is what I see...

.
.
Cnv0802 
It is running! (On the 9th poke they found one that worked)!


They have to let it go slow because the body needs to be able to work with it as it flows.
Just that, as we all know, Casey's body does not always cooperate as it should...

Halfway through, her blood pressure dropped to 80/44.  Not good- Those nurses sure can move! Lisa then readied herself if Casey might need more liquids etc...


.
.
Cnv0811
Note the extra bag of saline.
..
All's well that ends well. Casey walked out around noon on her own two legs!

I had a 1:30 appointment to bring Punk back to the vet-
I was early then, so Punk and I stopped over at Gritters place.

They weren't home, but I left a note, and snapped this picture on the way out of the driveway.

.
.
Cnv0794 

Those are just 2 of the faces that feed on all my apples and pears! hehehe
They were also infinitely more interested in the birds behind my car than they were of me.
.
.
So to the vets early.
Punk has lost 10+ pounds in 2 months. Dr. Spires didn't think it anything to be concerned about since Punk is still a bit overweight.
He did think it was time to do a bit more investigating... So Punk had her very 1st ultrasound.

His findings were, that for some reason, Punks bladder walls are over an inch thick. Adding that one should be able to read a newspaper through them...
About her bladder he stated,
"We have not ever seen this in a long time."

I spoke to him yesterday after her urine tests had come back. Once again it is an ecoli urinary tract infection.
This time she will be on Cipro for 6 weeks.

I do not wish you to know that my thoughts right now are "what next"... I know better than to ask such a thing!

On the way home, we stopped at Wouters. Gary was out by the ball diamond, so we had to say hi!
They have Mens Softball on Tuesday, Womens on Wednesdays, and co~ed Kickball on Thursdays.

He was having problems getting his sprinkler system to run. (And I helped)! ;-)

.
.
Cnv0809 

.
.
Cnv0810 
Punk helps Gary get water to re~prime the pump... hehehe
.
.
About an hour later, we had it going!

.
Cnv0789 

As he worked on the field, Punk decided she loved the river there as well as it runs through the woods at home. And being a lab, there is no keeping her out!

.
.
Cnv0818 
She waded and swam -and completely loved every minute of it!

While Gary and I were talking, she had moved upriver a bit.
(Unbeknownst to us, there is a pile of dead suckers there).

You got it.  She is once more covered in black and stinks to high heaven.

.
.
Cnv0815 
And SO damnably bloody happy about it!
.
.

.
Cnv0817 
I could have cried! 
I found a stick and threw it in the river a dozen times for her at that point.
.
.
After that she promptly rolled in the sand. And got herself tied up on the footbridge til we left.


.
Cnv0788
hehehe
God help me...
Gary held her while I mopped her up with a blanket before she got in my car. It helped a little.
Thank God it is only one mile up the road!

I now call her "Cod Liver Oil." --  "Stink" for short. (It is a mixture now of sandalwood, roses water and patchouli.
She smells like an opium den. Just worse.


I hope your week is going better than mine, and that your dog isn't reeky like mine!
Time for another shower... *sigh*

Love to all.

XOXO
Me

27 comments:

  1. And to think I was mad at my doggie for bringing mud in the house!

    I'm sorry Casey is having such a hard time. That blood pressure was really LOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine she needs a port too since she goes through this procedure often.......I had a beloved lab and he loved our swimming pool, we'd hear a splash and knew he had jumped in for a swim, he even would jump off the diving board for added fun! I hope your days get better hon. hugs....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeewwww on the stinky Punkster! yucky!
    as for Casey, the poor girl! so I am taking it the next appt. will be to have a port put in and then she no longer has to be poked so much? good luck with the drugs for her, I am hoping they can get the one back that works best for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe
    Sweet Zusi!
    I laugh at mud- It dries and is so easily vacuumed up!

    So she has had another shower. This time I put Lysol in the water as I showered, so when she got in she wouldn't infect my toes otr something.
    She smells like a fresh opium den now. Didn't even want her clean collar on because I had dotted it with patchouli again. She lays pouting on the floor...

    Casey is here now- Feeling very rough today. Maybe a reaction to her ferritin? Hope so. Even her neck glands are swollen.

    I just took her b/p again.
    It is 100/58
    It fluctuates so very much!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Troublemaker;
    hehehe (You were warned)!

    I don't think they would even put a port in now at this late stage, although it would sure make the next few treatments much easier for everyone.

    As far as Punk going in a pool? I would LOVE that! Much nicer than the dead fish!
    Do you have any pictures of your dog on the dive board? Seeing that would be such a treat!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Suzy!
    EWWWWW is right!

    Go spill a bottle of cod liver oil on your carpeting. Put it all over...
    You may even use Dawn to clean it up.
    But it doesn't go away so easily. hehehe

    I used the Neutragena tar shampoo (and Dawn) this time- (Those in addition to the Lysol in the tub).
    If I still smell it tomorrow she will go in for a shave.

    I don't know what the FDA's problem is... They have curtailed (so far) 2 drugs that we use religiously. And 10 years ago, you could get them at the natural food store!
    My thyroid prep and now CASEY'S NONENTERIC ENZYMES.

    xoxo
    mE

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that REALLLY works for skunk is a combo of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap..... nothing else works so perhaps this will also work for cod liver butt.



    Also, have them check out Miss Punk's urine for kidney stones... Miss Isabelle had a lot of "UTIs" before they figured out she had kidneys stones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yucky...I've hit a dead skunk before and can only imagine the smell..ugh! I used everything I could think of to rid my car of that smell. I had all kinds of those little car freshner trees hanging all throughout the car...lol
    Hope they get Punk to feeling better soon.

    Drew says to tell Casey he knows how she feels about the "veins" ...his are so shot its not even funny.
    He was stuck 18 times one time before they found a viable vein (just to have a student Nurse yank it out the next day...talk about being pissed off..he was fit to be tied). The 2 1/2 week stay in the hospital last summer he fought me on having a central line put in..but now he would have one in a minute. I too think he needs a port put in for his conditions. Drew just dreds having to go in for any kind of blood work ..and even more when he knows he will need an IV. Prayers Casey feels better soon..and her next trip goes more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy Casey walked out by herself but it truly is sad that her required meds are not on the PBS list. One has to wonder how addicts go at finding places to put needles hey Anna.
    4.54 kilograms that's great Punk howda do it mate?
    I didn't go to your last blog Anna as it was marked "Private" mate.
    You're much like me walking around with a camera all the time. Oh about the CAPS LOCK I hate that I start writing something and look up as I do and it's all in CAPS LOCK what do I do leave it or rewrite it ? ah bugger it I rewrite

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/Nutrition/Enzymes/

    Anna you are a person whom I believe are not one to give in so have you tried your local political members ect
    What is the name of the medication Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello my lovely lady....it's been a long time. I took a break and thought it would work, but ended
    up missing you guys so much and these beautiful blogs with pictures, that I'm back to stay. I will
    try and do a blog on the weekend. I sure don't compare to you...so don't expect much. LOL

    My goodness, you, Casey and Punk sound like us. There is always something else around the next corner. Give Casey hugs and kisses and tell her I love her bunches. She's always in my prayers and I sure hope that things brighten up and these veins get better.

    Punk is probably working at getting your mind off Casey and she sure did!!! LOL That stink must of
    been horrible!!! :)

    Hope you are feeling better Mama....how are your toes doing?? Are you having good weather??
    Well I must see a couple other people and then go to bed. I can hardly walk now, just to the
    bathroom and back and that is with horrible pain. My Internist decided that the diabetes can no
    longer be controlled by shots of insulin, so they will install an insulin pump sometimes soon. I
    don't want it but I know that right about now it would be useless to argue!! :(

    Hugs & blessings to all of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers always.
    Love,
    Bev xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost had one ( S ) wasn't sure about what I wrote so I deleted it I had strange smells and tastes Anna sorry

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do have Murphy living with you don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You would think if he was going to live there he would help out with the chores, pay some bills, or at least put out once in a while.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pea;
    It was so funny when you wrote this because Doc Spires had just handed me that "recipe" not 20 minutes before! hehehe

    He did the ultrasound to check for the stones... None there.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  16. Sweetie?
    You hit a dead skunk?
    Why on earth did you hit a dead one?
    HAHAHA

    Oil will cover oil. Maybe I should mix some skunk oil into the fur too.
    But you have given me an idea...
    Maybe some tomato juice... hehehe

    I hit a skunk once when I was driving out here. Mom and dad had the girls, and I had gone to double bubble.
    OMG did that stink. So I drove fast.
    I pulled in the yard here. Parked. And literally ran into the house.

    About 15 minutes after I had slipped into my little coma, Pa woke me up.
    He was not happy when he told me to move my car out from under his damned bedroom window.
    hehehe
    I still laugh at that!

    XOXO
    me


    ReplyDelete
  17. Where the "h" have you been Sweet Bev???
    I have missed you terribly!
    Glad you will be posting though!

    It is always a Morton Salt Day around here. Then again I wouldn't know what to do if someone wasn't worrying me half to death. (Then I would think something really is terribly wrong)! hehehe

    I am OK. Toes are OK.
    But my house is an awful mess. Not bending down for love or money today either.
    (Well, maybe I should reconsider that all)... ;-)

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  18. You almost had one what?
    hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  19. SweeTee;
    ROTFLMAO! (That SOB)!

    And I must absolutely agree with Sweet Pea on a reply!
    hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome~ on the stones. Was worried.

    My buddy John has a jack russell that got sprayed a bunch of times in the same week so John made it research for his newspaper column... that was really the only thing that worked.

    ReplyDelete


  21. That has got to be the DUMBEST dang Jack Russell that I have ever heard of!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely need to get one of those 'reacher' thingies...
    Anyone got a spare?

    ReplyDelete
  23. John says the SKUNK kept moving.

    First day, dog is minding his own business walking by the pool and BLAM... skunk

    Second day dog will not go NEAR pool. Skunk gets him by bushes at far end of yard.

    Third day dog barely steps out back door and gets it.

    Fourth day. Dog will not go IN back yard, goes in side yard and gets it by the garbage cans.

    Fifth day. dog refuses to go out back or side and gets sprayed in FRONT yard.

    Sixth day, John takes dog down the street and dog gets sprayed.

    Seventh day. Dog gets sprayed at dog park...

    Eighth day, John calls animal control and they come and collect skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I only have one..... got it at home depot. they come in a variety of lengths so you can get the right size.

    use it daily. Today already it rescued the dog toy from under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whatd'ya know... A sniper skunk family!

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  26. they really had it in for his poor dog.....

    ReplyDelete