[My] Life in Wisconsin

Corn. College. Clouds. And Typhoid.



Good Evening!
More rain tonight- after rain this morning also- (But for now the sun is still shining through the clouds, so I can get online for a while). My well has to be getting topped off quite nicely this year! Add to that the fact that I have watered no lawn or garden, nor did I fill up the pool.

Clouds are speckled- Rain is in the clouds that are up there, but not coming down. Yet.
As I drove home from Randy's this morning, and as I put my directional on to enter the driveway, there was actually a very visible rain cloud coming right down the road toward me.
Funny. I (almost) made it into the garage without getting wet. 
HUGE raindrops, and came hard too.  So went very slow, and turned around twice- a 'powerwash' for the car for a short moment.  
That rain sure smelled good!

Not a lot accomplished today- Every now and then I get a day like that, and it feels good to not do anything; save for a few loads of wash- or to pull a few stitches.

I was in a funk yesterday.  And I thank all that commented for your kind words for Kristin- She deserves those, and much much more. She is the epitome of such a good mom.
With Master Gabriel starting school yesterday- (it was so hard to not get in the car and see him off). To see the eager anticipation in all their faces, but am sure that would have upset Ms. Kristin's schedule too. 

I did not go- (and yes, I could have gone, save for the fact I don't ever want the others to feel left out when I do go- I am always afraid that these 2 girls will pick up on that, though I hope I have never treated them differently- Just that little kids are so smart).


Don't ever let anyone tell you that you cannot be sad and happy at the same time. I have felt this way -too many- times with respect to all of my babies and grandbabies.

But I was, and AM, also so happy that he is loved, and has a real family now too! God love Kristin for her ability to include this Grandma whenever she can! 
Not sure if you went back to my yesterdays blog, but I posted new pictures of the kids in the comments area of that blog.

It's getting dark now. No rumbles of thunder yet either.
Sheesh, I am such a cowardly little thing when it storms...

As we took our last walk of the day on Tuesday, to notice the corn is coming along nicely- especially given that it was planted so late.
Not quite ripe yet, (but Punk and I shared a fresh~picked little cob anyway).



Ye Olde Corn Fields!
Mmmmm...

We 'borrowed' some cantaloupe too-
And I have some green onions growing next to the driveway that Mama planted all those years ago-  We picked some tomatoes too. Along with a cucumber. I had the very best salad, ever, for lunch today! hehehe


The sun was going down fast that night...


Sunset on the Farm


 ... And that same sunset made for a few nice shots of the farm.



Sunset Over the 40 acres on the hill



I am sure no one is eating any store bought eggs anymore. Hope not anyway-

In addition to the eggs, have you heard about the typhus in the mamey fruit pulp?

The FDA has now recalled both Goya and Paleta brands. <--- (FDA site link).


mamey fruit
Mamey fruit.

Here is one story of it.
"Typhoid leads to 2nd mamey pulp recall"
For more info on the typhoid in the US and Canada, please click here or on the title above.

Mamey pulp is found in many frozen fruit bars.
Please check your ingredients lists; (and know the company's names might not be on those boxes because these 2 companies are distributorships).
Read about Typhoid Fever, which is cause by
the bacterium Salmonella Typhi, by clicking here. <--- (CDC site link)

At this point, the curtains are blowing in, toward me; and it is spooking the pup. hehehe
OK, OK. It is bothering me too- (mostly that I may lose my entry, or have to post it tomorrow).

My computer has been a real d---r---a---g these past few days.
I have pictures to put in, but don't want to slow it down any more than it already is.
Will have to ask Casey. That way if she doesn't know, then she will ask Greg! hehehe (See, there is method to my madness)!

Speaking of Casey- (was too) 
hehehe
She had to take a few tests to get back into school for the Fall semester- She is finally going for Vet Tech. Animals being her 2nd love; and that 1st year at UW-River Falls with her Veterinary Science will surely help her out now.
She passed all 3 of her today's tests with flying colors!
She is so determined and excited to finally be able to finish her college education.
Hopefully her health will follow her optimism this time? (A prayer or two please)-

UWGB, (Do the click, I am still mad at them), and UW-River Falls have yet to forward her transcripts. But since she was on the Deans List at both colleges there won't be any problems there. She is also to receive, IN WRITING, and from the dean himself, that they will not make her leave for being sick/gone/hospitalized; nor will they pull her funding for those things. (Click on UWGB above if you do not know of her previous ordeal). She texted me this explanation earlier, "
since they're not a state school they're not given that illness list to abide by. It's case by case."
Thank God.

I'd better close for now!  Do have a grand evening!
Hope all is well with everyone!
My love to all.

XOXO
Me


24 comments:

  1. I made pickles...


    Glad to hear Casey is moving on with her school!

    XOXOOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures look good.... thanks for the life update... I might go and do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you live in such a beautiful area! our corn fields dried up from the heat, even the cotton seems shorter and less covered in blooms because of all the intense heat and my mother told me, not once in her %% odd years has she ever seen cotton wilt! I'm glad you are feeling cheerier today. Yep, I have a lot of those happpy/sad days myself...they exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, and I thought my life was scattered and divided. You have got so much going on. That speckled cloud thing? We call it a mackeral sky and it means rain is a'coming. We need it here- the lawns are dead and the lakes are low. I'm so looking forward to the cool weather coming this weekend.

    Best of luck to Casey and the schooling. Prayers of the unconventional type will ensue.

    A grand evening was had in these parts, tyvm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good. ('Cuz I love pickles)!

    CaseyFace? Me too!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thank you Mr. Steve!
    hehehe

    We are waiting now for that blog...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  7. Sweet Jen;
    What a waste of a year for your area- So sad! And an entire years income for the farmers too.
    And then to add insult to injury, their insurance skyrockets if they make the claim...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Joanna-
    Like everyone else's (whether they admit it or not), my life really is all over the board.

    "Mackerel sky"? What an apt and perfect summation of those clouds!

    The cooler weather is already breezing in these windows! And I much prefer that over the darn hot~n~muggies, any day.
    Just not not too much cooler! hehehe
    It is 56° (F) right now. And would be perfect for sleeping... if I could.

    Unconventional is good too- Any positive thoughts she can get to beat the devastation in her body are all welcome!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep...its why most farmers are only part time...no one can truly be a farmer 100% down here...they all have 2nd and sometimes 3rd and 4th jobs to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad Casey gets to go back to school! I have little faith in most teachers at the college level, My son Raymond says he's just a number in his classes, which means nothings changed since I was in college, I still remember my number in English class!! I love fresh corn on the cob. Have a great weekend Sweet Annie! xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cows and the farm were our main source of income. Bread and butter money came from Dad's Implement.

    Plus, Mom had the garden, (1/2 acre worth)- and we had 3/4's acre of cucumbers to pick- And also the strawberries and raspberries.
    She had the original vegetable stand, and many return customers before we started going to the Farmers Market as vendors.

    Dad had planted about 33 acres of sunflowers one year for Larsen's, (the canning factory). (Even those sold out in a hurry every week at the Farmers market, no matter HOW many we brought along to sell)!

    So even though Mom didn't "work" (well defined defined by one person, who shall remain nameless), she busted her butt every single day!!!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Pamela;
    She wasn't even a damn number at UWGB.
    Please click here- http://flintville.multiply.com/journal/item/64/UWGB_-Pass_the_Buck_Ducks...
    (Though I had more than a few on 360, I haven't one single comment on that story after I transferred it from 360). Maybe you will be first to comment there?
    Anyway, it will be a refresher of what she had gone through with their crap.

    I used to steal a cob in the afternoons when no one was looking, even as a small child! hehehe
    People say "ick" (but only before they try it)!

    You have a great weekend too!

    Casey has just texted me that she will be coming out later this morning.
    Must get an entry off my chest before she comes, or I will have a chip on my shoulder all day long.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL!!! Now there would be a sight to see... or not.


    hahahahahhahhahahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha! I was thinking the same thing as Deanne. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Bill-
    That's a real compliment coming from you!
    (Isn't it)?!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahahaha.

    Hey you are the daughter of the implementer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmmm...

    *weighing options...


    I am.
    But I would prefer to be a Farmer's Daughter.
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet Annie,

    So very happy for Casey to get to go back to school.

    Mackeral clouds IS quite a good description. I'll have to remember that one. Your photos are as ever lovely.

    Good on Master Gabriel for starting school. WHERE does the time go? We hold them in our arms and then POOF!! they're gone to school and their own lives.

    3/4 of an acre of Cukes? That's a lot of cukes.

    As I don't eat ice cream or fruit bars, I guess I don't have too much to worry about with the pulp. I get my eggs from a neighbor. Good Brown eggs, is there any other kind, LOL.

    I imagine a spooked Punk is a sight to see. LOL. I'll send hugs to a spooked Annie. LOL.

    oxox,
    snotball

    ReplyDelete
  19. hehehe

    Sweet Snotball-
    A cowardly Punk is one that comes to me, gently (at first) nudges me, then lays down at my feet.
    As if I'm going to help?! (The cowardly leading the cowards if ya ask me)!

    Mine are all colors- Eggs that is- Some (few) are white- then there are brown, the greens and the blues follow those up.
    AND, lots are double yolks too.
    Mmmmm

    Those cukes... OMG, that was as bad as picking the strawberries! hehehe But I had great tans too, just on my back and shins.
    No wonder inner tubing down the river was so much fun afterward!

    Our harvest would go from strawberries- to cukes- to various stuff, and flowers in the garden- to raspberries interjecting their ripeness inbetween.
    And yes, it was work- Spring to Fall.
    Dirty as it could be, it was good clean work too.

    My Master Gabriel- Oh how I love him!
    And I truly love his adopted family for loving him as I do.
    That is rare in this day and age.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete