[My] Life in Wisconsin

Seeing Nothing- In the Dark-


The only light in my life-
After around 4:45 this morning...



Good Evening All;
I was  up around 2:30 today- Unable to  sleep, I came on here. I had many windows on the computer open- many tabs too, and was happily reading the news, and a few blogs-
I was so 'into' what I was reading too. Just one of those days.

Miss Punk lay asleep on the floor by me.

Of a sudden the power went out- Punk growled, not loud- Just enough to let me know she was up -and "something" had happened.
(It had. The power had flashed).

Flashed.
Came on.
Flickered.
Then flashed a few more times- (for good measure); finally deciding to come on, and remain on.
I looked from window to window, in case something had happened near here. Nothing.

So I fired the computer back on. And came back online. By now, everyone in the world must know I have dialup. And since I'd had all those pages up and running, I knew it would take til Tuesday to reload these so I began the new session option.

Deciding to blog, I went to Flickr and opened up my pictures, clicking on the ones I'd wanted to share with you.
Since this takes a while, and since it was 5AM, I thought to feed these beasties of mine their breakfast. (Especially after Punk had growled a second time, a bit more, and even added 2 warning "bruuf"'s -as she was trying to watch the bunny wabbits on the front lawn).

They got their food and water- And by the time I had run my dishwater and come back here, all of the pics were loaded! (YAY)!

As I went to click on the last html in the pics, the power went out.

And stayed off.

After a moment or two of wait, I went in search of a few matches to light my candles.  (A "few", heck, the piano and the book cupboard looked like mini~altars)! hehehe

Thinking of Kelli, I rechecked the windows for any smoke that could have been billowing down the road. Nothing.
...Or across the ravines to the south in the woods- Nothing.


ok-
So to settle in until I was restored.
Those many candles offered much soft light- And enjoying the quiet, I cut many pieces for my quilts- (A wee bit smug too that I had thought to turn the heat on back at 2:30 when I'd gotten up too; usually I wait)...

Peeking out the window a while later, I could see a bit of light to the east- A few headlights heading east had illuminated a portable "road closed" sign.
What?!?

I got dressed, and brushed my hair -and little toofers. Loading dog, and camera, into car.

Pushing the garage door button--- nothing happens. A llittle voice on my left shoulder exclaims, "No shit Sherlock, you don't have power."
Duh... hehehe
A bit more light on the horizon as we pull out of the driveway...


I have added "light" to these pics- so you can see what I saw...


From my driveway

Sure enough- "Road closed!"  So this is what Punk had growled at then...
I really DO have to pay more attention to her, even when I am 'into' something else
.


Moseying down to Flintville, I pull over as I see the squad car right in front of Kelli and Tims!
(I further remember that the bedroom phone, corded, had probably been unplugged when Casey had slept up there yesterday).
A sickening feeling, that...


Flintville Closed
That is NOT good...


I park the car, leave the dog- and realize I have forgotten my darn cane at home. Too bad-
... I now absolutely need to know if Kelli is OK-
I walk-

Kelli's sand pile on left
Hmmm "Accident ahead"   ~Ya think?!


Broken Buick
The driver had hit the power pole, leaving some wires snapped- and other barely making the connection. (That is what made it flash and flicker here).

After a few minutes, the transformer had blown.
It was that explosion that had killed any remaining hope of power that we might have had.

Already the tow truck was there-

I quickly asked Deputy Meissner if Kelli and Tim were ok?
He assured me they were, and asked if I would have one of them come out so he could speak with them.


Alfalfa is calming
Kelli had already repaired most of the fence that the horses had taken out as the transformer had exploded, scaring the beejeezus out of them...


The horses, calmer by now
Slowly but surely they calmed down-
Alfalfa has such a good and calming effect-



Kelli and Deputy Meisner
Kelli and Deputy Meissner- As he explained that although the rest of us would be restored, they would be without power for the better part of today. (This since the pole had to be replaced).
Kelli's reply? "The PACKER Game is on tomorrow, and I better have it restored by then!"
Yes, she was serious.



Dan Drewery and Deputy Meissner
Dan Drewery and Deputy M.
Dan, and my old boss Judy Wouters, have been together forever-
Dan works for the county highway department, and responds to any accident that involves closing the road, no matter the time, the weather, or the location in the county.


Lots going on
Everyone so very busy-


Chatting in the middle of the road
Kelli even had to run to Suamico to get her coffee! hehehe

Slowly but surely to have the broken wires brought back together... (This was just a bandaid so the rest of us could have power).

Braiding power

A rude awakening for more than the horses...


After waking around 3 himself, Tim had fallen back to sleep on the couch- Soon as the accident happened, he was wide awake-
As was Kelli-
As was Tim's mom (Mary) in the other half of the duplex.
She said she heard the 'thunder', knowing it was supposed to rain, but thought it the strangest thunder too. (Add to that, the fact that it wasn't even raining yet)-

Soon had come a knock at the door- The lady who had been driving was very shaken up-  Yes she had walked away without a scratch!  These Buicks are solid. Hers had given its life to save hers- (Not to mention the deers life that she had swerved to miss). There goes the insurance claim... sad that-

As I knew all was well, I left Kelli with an invitation to come get water for the horses- (I have water whether I have power or not).
Punk and I headed back here.


Pulling back in the garage, it was just beginning to rain- About 43°  - - It is a cold and chilling dampness.

But the workers were already in the fields- Still harvesting those many wagonloads of cabbage!

Picking cabbage-
Happy to see that-
Cold or not, freakin' hot or not, they are there, working hard.

Punk went potty, and we headed in the house-
Barely the door closed and the power came back on-
Back to the real world then.  And to my little quilting squares.

As I type it is still raining-
Good. We have been very dry this whole month, and quite behind with the precipitation-
(As long as it stays rain, I won't complain)!
hehehe

Hope you are having a great weekend-
My love to all.

XOXO
Me

PS
A major problem with a blown transformer is collateral damage.
Any power lines previously connected to the transformer are now live,exposed wires that could still be carrying thousands of volts.
During a storm, these wires could cause major arcing and electrical shock should they be submerged in large puddles of water.
Electrical arcs from blown transformers could also potentially set telephone poles and nearby trees on fire, especially during dry seasons.
Read more: What Happens When a Transformer Blows? | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/about_4900128_what-happens-transformer-blows.html#ixzz13EgfMqyI


*
The above included, just to show you how very lucky everyone was this morning!
Chilled. Damp. And inconvenienced.
But oh, so very lucky!

 

30 comments:

  1. Oh, my!!!!

    Glad all are well. Hug Miss Punk for me and tell her Auntie Cille sends her love and hugs for trying so hard to warn her Mommy something was wrong. So glad Tim, Kelli and Mary are alright. Poor horses. Do we get to see the results of your quilting??

    Love to you sweet Sister,
    oxox,
    snotball

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flint! I bet you're sleeping now....your story reminded me of a good picture book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when do you sleep??? I'm glad your friends were alright.
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. transformers are scary when they blow.... have had them blow squirrels across the yard and burn down a barn.... light up appliances and destroy an entire shop full of tooling....

    glad all ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kelli with coffee in hand and none for Deputy Meissner :-(
    I'm so glad that our power / phone lines and all are in-ground here, although we do still get some power blackouts.I am so happy also that I have portable gas stoves and torches for camping if anything did happen.
    Glad you are OK and no one you know was hurt in the accident Anna.
    The Parker game is on tomorrow ? I might watch it, or was that yesterday.
    6° Celsius for crying out loud go back inside Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear not, unless the outer casing is crushed it is safe.
    It is the incoming supply, high voltage, is connected to the primary side of the transformer.
    There is no physical connection between your secondary side and the incoming side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading above, it seems you don't have overload protection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad no one was hurt in the accident. Buicks are nice solid vehicles..my Grandfather always drove Buicks for that very reason.
    I was actually sleeping at 2:30 this morning(yea me!)Drew had pain meds around midnight and didn't get back up till after 3 to get his break thru relief. His legs were cramping last night.
    We've not had any rain around here in a good while either..and I think we could stand to get some..wash whatever it is making me sneeze out of the air. Of course having unseanonably warm weather still here...I'm not complaining about that. Still able to wear shorts and go barefoot.
    Hope your time without power is over. Stay warm and dry.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Snotball;
    "Oh my" is right!
    A little Flintville excitement for a Saturday morning. hehehe

    Since yesterday morning Punk has taken to sleeping behind my step-stool under the little desk here- Not sure what is up with that, but I am shocked every time I adjust my position now.
    She moves... Will take a day or two for me to get used to this... hehehe

    Everyone is ok- Save for taking a few years off the girls' lives. (Not to mention the lady who was driving).

    XOXO
    me

    PS
    Since these will be gifts, I cannot show my swatches or my quilts, but will post an old picture of my first one soon. (If I can find it on here) hehehe

    ReplyDelete

  10. Hey yourself Mr Judd!
    Thanks and yes, I slept like a cat last night...

    I try to do these image things- Some of my grandbabies do get a chance to look at the pics- And maybe with the PS above will learn a little something?

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Pamela;
    I sleep when I threaten to tip over.
    Not really a 'schedule' per se, but I do get a few naps in, in any given 24 hour period. Mostly
    hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  12. OMG Sweet Pea;
    The squirrel getting blown across the yard is one I will not get out of my mind for a LONG time!
    (If I am lucky that is). hehehe

    Like I said, all are very very lucky, no?

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not to worry Mr. Lester, the good deputy had his urn in the car. hehehe

    How does your power go out when it is buried?
    'Course, Kelli's cable went out too- and that is also buried. I haven't talked to her yet this morning- Hope she has her cable back by gametime- (7pm tonight).

    It was a bit chilly but since it hadn't yet started raining, the temp was not really a problem- although to lose power now for any extended period of time would be to get some people really cold INside their homes.
    That is never good.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  14. my oh my what a start to the day! wow, glad everyone is ok and no one got seriously hurt. sounds like you will be needing to take a nap later on today sometime, I know I would getting up that early!

    ReplyDelete

  15. Mr Bill;
    It had recovered itself a bit- But when the pole came down, there were wires down even across the road-
    When the transformer exploded there were sparks flying everywhere. Wish I had a better picture of the whole thing as it lay in the ditch.
    Gal was lucky to have gotten out and not been electrocuted.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of my own electronic equipment 'seem' to be ok- (Which may/may not be because of the surge protectors inside the house). Those initial blasts had me wondering if everything would work when I fired it all up again.

    I think the top element in my water heater may have taken a bit of a hit though- Will see how good it recovers after I shower today.
    It just seems as though the dishwater this morning, turned on hot, wasn't as hot as it usually is.
    We shall see.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Denise;
    I have always driven big American cars for that very same reason. And have been loyal to Buick since my 1986 Electra Estate Wagon too.

    It has been raining since yesterday now. Makes my cat sneeze- and for whatever reason I woke with a mild headache this morning.
    Not too unseasonable around here anymore- and come late summer yet, there will be no more opportunities for me to be wearing shorts 'til next Spring. (There are those, even on a below zero day that will wear shorts anyway). Not me.
    Enjoy that while you can.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nap will be early today Sweet Suzy-
    The game is a late on and I don't want to be nodding off then, even if we don't get a 'w'.

    they say that the key will be to sack Favre. (Seems he does have an unwise love for his sacking). hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the squirrel was a bit upset.


    The dog looked at it very oddly too.

    I sighed and got a shovel and a broom to clean up the bits.

    Lucky indeed....

    XOXOOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just thought your 110 voltage with its large cables carry twice the power of ours and twice the cost of overload protection.
    Think of the savings America could make by going 230 volts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You'll have to post pics of the new quilt when it's finished! Glad everybody was OK (save the Buick). Deer aren't "acts of God" in my opinion. I believe we'll have to go the other way for that. Most insurance companies are run by Satan, so it figures they blame his work on "God".

    GO PACK GO! Kill em all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Imagine being suddenly catapulted off your perch and being slammed into something else.
    (Oh wait! True story that happened to Casey)! HAHAHA

    Now I am NEVER going to forget any of that-

    Probably won't be forgetting about you and your broom too.

    ROTF

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  23. Not sure how much that might entail...
    Someone like yourself would be able to make a real educated guess.

    Savings- as the type you have mentioned, seem to be caught in some kind of vacuum here in the states. The more people it is good for, the less likely it is to gain attention.
    Go figure.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet Stanger-
    No pics of the new squares or quilts- (Perhaps after Christmastime, and that is ONLY if they turn out).
    I am not a quilter- But God knows I have more material around this house- AND out in the sale that I have to use up somehow!

    So you think those sweet little adorable deer are spawns of satan?
    HAHAHA!
    Gee, have you ever hit one? (Cuz if'n ya did, you did the right thing)!
    NEVER EVER SWERVE TO AVOID A DEER!!!

    this lady, since she didn't hit the deer, then made a personal choice to drive in the ditch.
    Yup. Insurance companies are right up there with Satan's spawn theory.
    That pole is going to be mighty expensive, the Buick will be (is) a total loss- And she will be eating those two bills for a very long time. (Not to mention the overtime that WPS paid out).
    I say she should sue WPS for putting that pole there in the first place. hehehe



    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mommy!

    I am so happy that the woman walked away from that accident! It's actually a Dodge Durango, but still an American company and VERY safe! I've actually always wanted a Dodge Ram for my own use once I get a farm and some horses... It'd be perfect in the winter and for hauling horses, hay, and various other stuff... One day........ It's amazing that she was able to get out of the car and walk to help! Even more amazing is that the pole waited until later to fall, or it could have fallen on her car... Miracles happen every day!

    I bet those horses, Kelli, Tim and Mary were QUITE startled at the explosion happening so close to their dwellings! I can't blame Breezy and May one bit for bolting, I sure would have also...

    So sorry about the phone! When I unplugged it Thursday night/early Friday morning, I told myself that I needed to remember to plug it back in when I got up... I remember going upstairs for stuff twice, and feeling like I'd forgotten something but for the life of me I couldn't remember what the heck it was!!! I guess it was the phone... SO SORRY!!!! I'm just glad everyone is safe and okay. That's great news especially after seeing those "Road Closed" signs... You must've been so incredibly scared for everyone in the duplex...

    I wonder how that deer felt??? :) Little bugger got off easy, unless he hid nearby and was also startled by the exploding transformer box... I bet he wasn't though, probably LONG gone and nestled in the woods, fast asleep... It reminds me of that commercial with the squirrels in the middle of the road and you see a car swerve to avoid hitting them and then you hear a crash. After that the squirrels give each other a high five... Snotballs! It's an advertisement for some sort of car insurance...

    Well, I'm super tired after not getting much sleep last night... I swear the constant up/down and only sleeping for an hour or two at a time then waking, is worse than not sleeping at all... I just feel drained after a night like that, and by around 5 I'm feeling dead on my feet... Sorry we didn't stay too long today for a visit, Greg is still programming and I'm hearing the bed calling my name! Just got your text that you're going to relax a bit and I hope you sleep well tonight! Sweet dreams!

    Love you MUCH MUCH!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've hit 3!! 1 of them this year. Stoopid Stoopid creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can do it!

    You're not a quitter either!

    ReplyDelete

  28. Sweet SD,
    Oh why am I perversely laughing at your reply?
    Your insurance company loves you.
    As do I.

    XOXO
    me

    What time is venison served at your home?


    ReplyDelete
  29. "WE" can do it!

    And yes, I am! (See, I have to leave right now). hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete