[My] Life in Wisconsin

The Man in The Glass...

The Man In The Glass


When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.


For it isn’t your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life
Is the one staring back from the glass.


You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum
And think you’re a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.


He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.


You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

~Author unknown~

12 comments:

  1. To thy own self be true.
    Trouble here is threefold?

    You are alone in a crowd.
    No one understands you.
    You lop off 90% of your knowledge to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIRROR
    Lucija Jovanovic © 3/25/2008

    A gilt frame hangs on the wall, four feet wide and four feet tall
    A new portrait is displayed each day.
    When one looks into it, the portrait disappears.
    A glistening, clean and empty mirror reflects
    the image the person looking into it expects.
    The mirror smiles back a face so soft, so honest and sweet
    No one ever would suspect of it deceit.
    In confidence, the person turns, "This truly is me!"
    Behind their back, the image grotesquely leers
    delineated in envy, bigotry, hatred and fears.
    What no one knows, is that these true images are carefully stored.
    And if the time should come, when anyone
    wishes to see who they really are, their image will appear.
    If recognition shows a single tear, the journey has begun.
    All memory is erased.
    The truth of self now ready to be faced.
    Humility, honesty, introspection, effort required;
    in the mirror to see a new face, one of grace.
    No face can evolve to perfection, no one is truly perfect.
    Yet, we can improve, if so moved, to find a better take,
    on who we are, more open, understanding, and not a fake.

    Reminded of this, I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray I always be honest with the man in the mirror.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Just between you and me, personally I don't trust that man in the glass, he's always looking at me

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, I am loving this Anna and I am going to copy it. I would like to give this to my son. {{hugs}} thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, you know what I just thought of!? we need the Man in the Mirror song by Michael Jackson on here! let me go get it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm screwed. I got three in the mirror and we can't agree on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True words if ever there were any. We must start with ourselves before we can be of any use to others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice , see I'm still having trouble accepting the person I see in the mirror.......something to work on huh.
    xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete