[My] Life in Wisconsin

Tecumseh, and My Uncle Chum



Live your life that the fear of death
can never enter your heart.

Trouble no one about his religion.
Respect others in their views
and demand that they respect yours.

Love your life, perfect your life,
beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long
and of service to your people.

Prepare a noble death song for the day
when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting
or passing a friend, or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.

Show respect to all people, but grovel to none.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light,
for your life, for your strength.

Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason to give thanks,
the fault lies in yourself.

Touch not the poisonous firewater that makes wise ones turn to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.

When your time comes to die, be not like those
whose hearts are filled with fear of death;
so that when their time comes they weep and pray
for a little more time to live their lives over again
in a different way.

Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.



Good Morning All;
And with my apologies to those 2 of you whom I promised to write to, please understand...
My father called yesterday afternoon.
His brother, my Uncle Chum, has quietly walked on to visit Heaven.

Seems as he had made his way from his in-town home out to his home on Sugar Island. 

He had planned on doing yardwork. I do not know how much he got done...
He died yesterday afternoon, upon his tractor, and doing his work. 
After being ill for so long I can only imagine he may have wished for such a passing.

He knows no suffering now- For he knows only peace.



Smoke Signals?
Taken upon our last visit to Sault Sainte Marie; as we drove from town.



Uncle Chum, Casey, and Punk


Uncles Chum, Marvin and Cousin Rose


07-15-06 Myself and Uncle Chum on the Dock


07-15-06 Jamie KC Uncle Chum and Jenne


08-26-06 Valerie and Great Great Uncle Chum


08-26-06 Uncle Chum and I


Uncle Chum and Punk


07-15-06 Myself KC Uncle Chum Jenne and Punk



08-24-06 Uncle Chum
Odd isn't it? Precious too-  To know that this picture is the last I took of him. Indeed, it was to be the last image I have of Uncle Chum in my mind 
As he waved to us, and smiling, from the ferry, The Sugar Islander II...

Rest in peace my dearest uncle- 
Already now, you have met our Maker, the Creator, and already he has shown you the joy of your death- This, for your life, well~lived.

But it is heavy hearts that you have left us with- [behind]- 
You will be always be thought of with abiding respect to the spirit that you have, that you have shared so freely with me, that you have shown to all of my children. 

You will forever be remembered with all my love.
That same love that is our own perpetual heart-light.

My love to you- 
For it is always that I will be grateful for the love you have always given to me.

Anne

PS
 - And just to keep you smiling... 
May there always be many cute nurses where you are!    J     
 hehehe 

13 comments:

  1. Hey, howya doin? I'm taking the day off! It's great! Everyone should try it! (It's easy if you've been layed off for 19 months after 25 years of superlative service because the original owners sold out to a Japanese-owned holding company.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all know I'm not a drinker.
    At least, not unless I've been depressed for months and my world is crashing down around me. I'm not whining or nuttin, just explaining my last comment.

    This time I actually read the poem, and knew instantly (of course) that it was Indian Wisdom. From a real Indian. Except that this country was never populated by Indians, so far as anyone knows, but it's a pretty sure thing that Columbus had an abysmal sense of positioning.. (I won't even mention Americo Vespuchi.) (Why would I mention a name I can't spell?) (Incidentally, is everyone familiar with the Firesign Theater's "God Bless Vespuchiland"?)

    Back to the issue at hand. What great words of wisdom contained within a few lines of verse. (Not that I can remember what they were by now - it's been over 8 seconds since I read them, and that, for most of us over 60, is known as "the 8 second rule.".

    Just joshin in that last sentence, I think. I am sure that there was a surprising amount of wisdom, (Okay, now mostly forgotten,) embedded within the aboriginal "American" culture; not dissimilar to that taught by the Buddha, for example: (Cowboy movies and old Western tv shows, with Wally Cox or Marlon Brando playing Chief I-Look-So-Causation were somehow SLIGHTLY less than painting an accurate picture of those actual times, I think.. (Right. Yes, It's called sarcasm for those who weren't raised on it.)

    It's aggravating if you think about it, and my own personal ancestors didn't even arrive here until the late 1800's. From Europe. Nevertheless I find it aggravating as all hell. Or at least as all heck.

    Guess I'll have to sleep on that one.))).

    I do, in any case, believe that I can state one thing with absolute certitude: (as follows)

    There was a lot more wisdom among a lot of the native "american" tribes than existed among their conquerors, That much can be stated for without the most infinitesimal doubt..

    And, in addition, the common portrayal of those who inhabited these lands before the Europeans remains a travesty.

    And know this: there may be relatively few decedents of the original inhabitants of this land who remain alive, relative to their original numbers.

    But also know: there are many who have absorbed the wisdom of those who went before them. And doubt not that that wisdom is without equal when placed adjacent to the current population of these lands which were unjustly seized by today's nation of outsiders.

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm OK. Really.
    And it seems like you are MUCH better than I am!
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a 'just sayin' comment may I say you leave one hell of a load of wisdom!
    Thank you for that.

    You are a gem- a priceless friend!

    And since I know not where to begin to reply, I might just leave it at "thank you"

    Pass the Red Bull please?

    XOXO
    Me

    PS
    I think it's "Amerigo Vespucci" - But I have been known to be wrong too.
    Now what happened to Leif Erickson? He did, after all, find us first.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thank you Sweet Pamela;
    Going to Sault Ste Marie, for me, will never be the same...
    He was such a gentle-man- I do believe that God broke the mold on him.
    I feel bad that I had neither called nor written in over a month-
    Still he knew/KNOWS that I love him too- and how much.
    This is a huge loss for my heart; which is broken to say the least.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Sweet Sister Ann,

    My heart goes out to you. I know he is looking down and smiling at the joy you show in his life and the painful acceptance of his passing. My your tears be dried and your heart be comforted.

    HUGS
    oxox,
    foreveryoursnotballsister

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Snotball;
    He is such a wonderful man- he'd been ever so sick this past year-
    On and off would fall, seemingly for no reason (though he was hospitalized each time too)
    I would tease him about going to the hospital just so he could chase skirts. hehehe

    He had Parkinson's, many years - Heart troubles, just as many-
    And of course a plethora of problems that arise from treating those 2 in conjunction with each other.
    But oh, he had heart- and he had spirit!

    I will miss him forever.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uncle Chum's obit-
    http://www.sooeveningnews.com/obituaries/x639957303/Obituaries-May-25-2012

    Eastern Upper Peninsula-

    John Milton Menard
    John Milton Menard of Sugar Island, Mich. passed away Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at his home. He was born June 24, 1931 in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.

    He enjoyed playing cribbage, watching the Red Wings and most other sports. John enjoyed the challenge of repairing almost anything.
    He was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church and the American Legion.
    John served in the United States Navy as an Electronics Tech from 1948 until 1953 (his enlistment was extended as a result of the Truman years) having sailed thru the Suez and Panama Canals, and spent many months aboard the USS Stormes.

    John is survived by his sister, Marlene Marie (Menard) McDermott of Philadelphia, Pa.; brothers: Robert Gerald (Joan) Menard of N. Fort Meyers, Fla. and Joseph (Rose) Menard of Sugar Island.
    He is also survived by several nieces, nephews and special friends.
    He is preceded in death by his parents: Louis A. and Rose May Myotte Menard; and brother, Louis Hector Menard.

    Visitation will be held at 9 a.m. until 10 a.m. Tuesday May 29, 2012 in the Mary Room at St. Mary’s ProCathedral Church. Mass of Christian Burial will be 11 a.m. Tuesday May 29, 2012 at St. Mary’s ProCathedral Church with Brother John Hascall as Celebrant. His final resting place will be at Riverside Cemetery. Clark Bailey Newhouse Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Received Friday, May 25, 2012 4:54 PM

    Dear Anne:
    Thanks so much for the sympathy, prayers, sayings and pictures. I love all of them.
    We will all certainly miss Chum but know he is in a much better place.
    He will no longer have to put up with that awful disease. I am happy he is at rest.

    I will not be at the funeral as I'm not up to snuff.
    Marvin told me to stay home and get myself better.
    Jerry left this morning on the 9:00 flight. {Marvin} is meeting Gerald in Detroit and they will travel together the rest of the way.

    I feel so bad but know Chum will forgive me.
    Pray for all of us Anne.

    Love you,
    Aunt Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet memorial dedicated to him. Look at all the love surrounding him in the pictures! May he rest peacefully!

    ReplyDelete

  12. Thank you Sweetie-
    He was, and will remain to me, one of the greatest people that has sver set foot on the face of this earth.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete