[My] Life in Wisconsin

Never A Good Thing... Part One


Never a Good Thing
 
Look! Company...
(damn, eh)?


.
.
Good Morning All...

And so, it was a very busy, (and even a somewhat productive), weekend.

We had an indoor picnic, as it had threatened to rain on Sunday. (Berta had to work on Monday so we had our 'food' a day early). We sat outside for a while before eating.
.
.

.
.

Everybody was busy doing something...
Master Gabriel even got busy helping to dig a few weeds...
.
.

Helping Randy do something...
Both with their own shovels too!!!

.
.

The window is finally fixed on my car.
Hopefully it will remain in the 'up' position, (and WHEN I wish it to be up)... hehehe

My old Simplicity tractor has seen more loving attention than it has in years... (Thank you Sweet Pea).
(Pea emailed me the complete owners manual)!
Rick has literally spent hours/days working on the darned thing.
It is still not running correctly; shutting itself off after running for a few moments-
We, (more specifically Greg and Rick, hehehe), are currently in search of a condenser for it.
So far, 'the problem' has been 'narrowed down' about 5 times?
Oh well... (It didn't help that 'parts departments' were closed either).

So when Greg K called yesterday, I asked if he could possibly till my garden one more time so I could plant. He was coming over to cut by the woods anyway...
He pulled in moments later with a tiller~
... AND a brand spanking new John Deere tractor/mower.
He asked if I would care to mow while he tilled...
hehehe "But of course!"

Besides, Master Gabriel was napping. (Casey, her Greg, and I were just relaxing too).

Oh what a treat to use that machine!
While mowing back by the woods, Casey's Greg came running back by me.
(My first thought... "Uh~Oh, Greg doesn't 'run'")...
I drove toward him...
Meeting him halfway, he was ready to pass out...
Inbetween deep gasping breaths he told me that Gabriel had gotten into Ricks medications.
First. Relax.
Then find out what is missing-
He turned to run back to the house, and I stepped on the gas, jumping off the new tractor as I got to the yard- (Not even knowing how to shut it down)...

I got to the house, dialing 911 as soon as I was inside.

By that time, Rick had taken inventory.
Gabriel had chewed up Rick's Glipizide, and was sitting in a chair yakking up a storm...
(Adding to my horror was the fact that he had also gotten into Casey's mascara, and looked a terrible mess).

911 patched me through to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee
(YARGHHH! next to Froedtert)-
It is the closest poison control center.
Listening to my story, she said it would cause Gabriel to be hypoglycemic... (No kidding).
She suggested to get him to the hospital and told me they would keep him for observation.

We hung up.
I then called Roberta, who had gotten done working just an hour before.
I had her to say hi to Gabriel. He began chattering and then handed the phone back to me.
Calmly I told her he was OK, (and reminded her that she had just heard his voice and all).
...Telling her not to panic, but that I had called the Rescue Squad.
Immediately, as if on a damned cue, came those sirens... LOUD...
I filled Mama in quickly; Greg and Rick said they would pick her up...
.
.

Getting strapped in...
Yes, I'd cleaned his 'mascara' off...


.
.
Casey rode with Gabriel in the squad to St. Marys.

And they were off.

Turning, I see Greg K. in the backyard; just calmly watching the entire scene unfold...
Smiling now.
He asks...
"So, is this just another day in The Life of Anne?"

And finally, I could laugh...

I took a shower and drove in to the hospital-
Getting there, our little guy is completely covered in black all over again...
WTH?
~ I really had washed that makeup off?!?!?!?!!!

.
.


.
.
This new 'black' was from the charcoal that they had to force~feed him.
It had taken the better part of half a dozen doctors/nurses, plus family, to hold him still to get the IV in, to check his blood sugar, and then to get the charcoal down. (Glad I missed it all)! hehehe
Grandma's prerogative/luck...

This too was washed off quickly...
.
.

And he was quickly looking like our Master Gabriel once more,
just tired...
(Which he wouldn't have been had he taken that nap)...
.
.


Gabriel and his Mama!
.
.

And then back to bed...
.
.


Hmm...
Looks pretty darned tempting to me.
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these beds?

hehehe

.
.

He should be fine- His blood sugar did dip to the low 70's, and was back up into the 80's by the time I left to come home.
St. Marys said they would keep him for 36 hours for observation.
I am thinking that if he did as well during the night that he will be released today... Berta hasn't called yet this morning.
Lucky if she slept for even a few hours all night long...

So today it's back to the boring Life of Anne...
sigh

Hmm... So how was YOUR weekend?

Love to all.

XOXO
Anne

*****  3:20 pm now
Roberta called after I had posted this.
She told me that Gabriels blood sugar had dropped to 50 during the night; and he was immediately given a bolus to bring it right back up.
It did.
At 10 this morning his blood sugar was once again over 90.
They were home by 1 this afternoon.
Needless to say she has rearranged her whole apartment already...

Originally posted to my Y! 360, Tuesday May 27, 2008 - 08:32am (CDT)

40 comments:

  1. Thank goodness he is okay! Oh how scarey that must have been to you all. Poor Gabriel to have to do that charcoal. YUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there EVER a dull moment at your place?? Geez woman~you need to come down here and hang out with me for awhile and just RELAX!!

    I hope that Master Gabriel is full recovered by now~and that this 'storm' has settled!

    Take care my sweet friend~! And here's hoping I'll be able to make it up there in the next couple of months!! hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well i'm glad he's ok!
    Geez what a scare !
    Never a Dull Moment for you huh.
    Just when you think it's safe to relax..........
    Hope the rest of your week is more peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodnes...what a fright all of that was hugh??? wow.....I am the type that when something like that happens I run through the house screaming like a banshee and yet doing all the right things to make it happen to fix the issue...I'm the type of person who will do CPR but yelling inbetween Oh Sh--...Oh God!!!! Oh Sh..!!! or I'll be yelling while I'm calling 911 or whatever....now if I get hurt???? I just start running...so that means whoever is around and cares enough...they gotta catch me first to determine the extent of the injury or what have you....My kids do the same thing..even now that they are grown....heheee..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad he's okay! Poor little guy! It only takes an instant for kids to get into everything. He'll really appreciate these pictures when he's older! Give him a hug for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DONT DO THAT


    I can't tell you what went through my head when I saw that ambulance....I should have known you would have called if it wwas anything more serious.....


    Poor little guy. I think the charcoal picture is saying, I learned my lesson mommy.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL It just occurred to me....any time he attempts to misbehave you can threaten him with charcoal eating !

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are NOT kidding Sweet Tonya!
    ...and to think I have charcoal pills here. (They are very good for diarrhea).
    Poor little kid's going to be constipated for days!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Thers;

    When you get here, please bring some of the relaxation along with you.
    Failing that I am tempted to drink for a living... j/k

    I am SO hoping you WILL come up too!

    XOXO
    Me, (NO Jimmy H. anymore)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Bug!
    ...and my little heart went from 'pitter~pat' to 'thump~thump' even before Greg had reached the tractor. (I think sometimes you just KNOW)...
    So, you are saying it will never be safe to relax???
    Oh crap. I should have known when the first rabbit died...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Sweet BansheeBuddy;
    My apologies; but I am laughing hysterically at just picturing all of this.
    If the oh sh*t oh god stuff doesn't wake up all of your patients, then i am guessing there is NO help needed...


    See, I get awful panic/anxiety attacks...
    When I have to deal with these (ahem), "shituations" I am absolutely great to have around, WHILE IT IS HAPPENING.
    (Afterwards?
    Suffice to say it was 2 hours later by the time I got to the hospital)...
    hehehe

    Now what the heck will you do if you have a heart attack and cannot run around being a banshee???

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. what or who is Jimmy H?? I am so confused !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Lisa;
    Lord only knows if it was an instant or an hour- He had come down once, needing to poo.
    After that, all was quiet on the upstairs front...

    OR SO I'D THOUGHT...

    I shall have to mount a security camera in that bedroom too. And run it through my laptop...
    Umm... "Oh Greg?"

    And about the pictures??? It is SO funny that you said that...
    When the other guy had mumbled "if you want to"; I had promptly replied, EXACTLY what you just said...
    hehehe
    Great minds think alike!

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  14. SweetiePie;

    There was a dead something or another in one of the bedrooms last week. Casey and I couldn't find it anywhere-
    We dumped drawers, turned over mattresses etc... removing everything from the room, and we could NOT find the source of the smell...

    I had remarked that I had finally found Jimmy Hoffa... And that he was in the wall or the attic, cuz he sure as "H" wasn't anywhere else!
    (but now we have misplaced him again)...

    HAHAHA

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Pea...

    Yes, you KNOW I would have called you.

    Love to you

    XOXO
    Me

    PS 2~year~olds do not ever learn their lessons. I shall have to install that camera and perhaps one of those locating beacons that Punk has under her skin too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Umm...as I'm just now getting online I have no earthly idea what Gabriel got into. Obviously it wasn't good as he needed charcoal and his blood sugar dropped.

    Poor little guy...(adults too).

    Here's to him staying out of trouble for a couple of hours during which here's to the adults relaxing (or trying too) for a while?

    Hugs to all

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hang on all...
    I had edited and it has deleted my original entry...
    WTH???

    But... I 'seem' to at least be back online now.

    I hate my computersaurus...
    sigh

    Love to all

    XOXO
    Me


    The Great and Amazing Flintvile~Houdini shall now attempt to restore her original posting...

    Grr...

    Be patient...
    God isn't finished with my computer yet...


    ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll keep checking back oh Great and Amazing Flintville-Houdini One to see if Thou hast been able to resurrect Thine obliterated blog.

    I'd love to be able to update my own laptopsaurus.
    sighs and pouts

    me

    ReplyDelete

  19. ABRA~CADABRA!!!!


    and Viola!

    It reappears!!!


    Takes a bow...
    exits, stage left...


    ~;-)



    .

    ReplyDelete
  20. My weekend? BOOOOOOOOOOORRRING...especially compared to yours.

    A picture of him covered in mascara would have been a hoot...as was the one with him covered in charcoal. This from a woman who used to roll around in a coal bin to help her papa fire up the heat. roflol [sorry Anne, couldn't resist that walk down memory lane]

    I'm glad he's fine now. He is isn't he? How are the adults doing? Blood pressure returned to somewhat normal? Nerves? Any better now?

    Sheez! Nothing like a two-year-old to keep everyone on their toes.

    Hugs to one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness Bart.. When you throw a party you really do it up right dont you?

    Yep my grandchildren are bad about exploring the room when they are supposed to be napping as well. Must be a 2 yr old thing. One of them.. not sure which or both ate an entire bottle of tums. Guess they were tasty. Glad hes ok and all is again peaceful at Casa Anne.

    Hugs to you!

    Got that garden planted yet?

    beepluvsbart.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ye gods Anne!!!! You jump from one calamity to the next AND STILL KEEP SMILING!!!!
    I love the picture of them all in the back of the ambulance, sort of:

    "Hi there. We're on an emergency mission! Smiiiiiiiiiiiiiile!" I love it.

    I'ts soooooooooo what I would do! First thought "Wow! THAT will make an EXCELLENT blog picture!" LOL!

    I'm so glad that everything turned out well and from the look of the little tyke's expression after he'd had his stomach pumped full of charcoal ...... I shouldn't think he'll try THAT stunt again (thinks: "So THAT's why I'm not allowed to touch those pilly things!") Bless him.

    Mega - Hugs to you all. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is what I was trying to write. For some reason, it kept submitting each word separately! How weird is that!

    Anyway, what I was trying to write WAS:

    I love the family photo. It's absolutely beautiful and everyone is looking so happy.

    (There! Now wasn't that easy!......durrrrrrr. No idea what I was pressing to make that happen!)

    Hugs again xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are you sure that's a bed and not a jail cell?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im with Cat.. looks like a jail to me

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sweet cat;
    He is absolutely fine...
    Whereas the adults seem to be dropping from heart failure and the like.
    (Happy one can make a phone call and find someone that has nerves of steel)!

    He will be three on October 1st- I think he was BORN 2 years old...

    XOXO
    Anne



    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmmm... Where to begin Sweet Beep?!

    An entire bottle of Tums??? How scary that must have been!
    (But I'll bet YOU weren't sitting for them when it happened either).

    I told Berta (once again) that I would never ever babysit for him, or his baby brother.
    Never.
    Ever.
    EVER!
    She called and asked could I babysit Friday night?
    I told her yes...
    (Stay tuned)...


    All this, and I don't even LIKE surprises; especially of this nature...
    Surprise lilies? Well, that's different.
    Incidentally, all of our plants are covered right now. It is 32°...
    (We don't have any blankets left for any of the beds, but at least all the plants are covered)!
    hehehe

    No, the garden is NOT planted.
    I went upstairs to lie down after Greg and Rick left to go "in search of"...
    And slept til almost 3... !!!!

    Besides, it was windy- and in the 50's all day.
    Nasty weather... All my seeds would have been blown into the bay.

    I am still tired today. What the heck is up with that?

    Love to you!

    XOXO
    Me

    bartluvsbeep.com

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laughing at your comment about the smiling Sweet Mrs G.;
    (That picture was taken a full 24 hours before disaster struck)!

    As far as "blog picture" goes, that is exactly what I thought too.
    hehehe
    Besides, Master Gabriel will want proof come school days- 'show and tell' and all...

    How young he (hopefully) has learned about cause and effect too!

    When I got up to the hospital, Berta was giving him apple juice-
    Even THAT, after the oh~so~yummy charcoal cocktail, had to be force fed the first few tries!

    Those pilly things should have been kept in bottles.
    DO NOT EVER USE the Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs... etc flip~open cases.

    Lesson learned.

    Nerves shot.

    XOXO
    Anne

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  29. hehehe

    Sweet Cat- as 'Beep' is nodding her approval...

    THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I WANT ONE FOR HERE!!!
    sigh
    Either that, or I shall have to borrow some handcuffs for little people...


    XOXO!

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my gosh ... does summer ever start for you guys? And I thought waiting til after Easter was a wait.. geepers..
    The temps here are in the mid 90s during the day with a heat index of over 100 already and at night we are lucky if the temps fall into the 70s

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sweet Connie;
    Not sure if I could stand YOUR temps either, but am thinking (hoping for) a happy medium...

    Summer- heck, 'SPRING', is extremely late this year.
    This is very, VERY, out of the ordinary, even for Wisconsin.

    Kind of happy now that I didn't get anything planted much earlier.
    Lots would have been lost to this one...

    "A COOL CANADIAN AIR MASS...COMBINED WITH LIGHT WINDS AND CLEAR TO
    PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL BELOW
    FREEZING OVER MUCH OF THE AREA TONIGHT. OVERNIGHT LOWS ARE
    EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM THE MIDDLE 20S IN FAR NORTHERN WISCONSIN
    TO THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S FARTHER SOUTH."

    Sadly, they were right on with this forecast. And yes, I feel badly for those that have their little gardens 'up' already.
    God does work in mysterious ways...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your very right... I guess we all learn the weather in our areas and get used to it too. Spring was late here too. Well not here but in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Me thinks that with Gabriel one not only needs a jail cell but the handcuffs as well.

    Show and tell...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good to hear that someone is causing havoc while I'm not arround. I actually got to have my own little trip to the ER. I decided to clean up some broken glass...with my foot.

    Love to all and I'll be home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cat...
    These words you wrote are more frightening than you know right now...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Sweet Jenny!!!!
    As you know, I do the barefoot thing more often than not.
    GLASS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST, isn't it?
    Stitches??? How many?
    Just keep it clean/dry Sweet girl...
    And be prepared too. Now I know who to call when I break some glass!
    ~
    Even if only for a short while, it is SO nice to know that you are home!
    YAY!

    Don't be a stranger!
    hehehe

    Love to you too!

    XOXO
    Mama D

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  37. My lord... I was so scared that day! Gave me my very first heart attack... I'm ever so glad he was okay and that it was probably the least of all the pills he could've gotten into... Thank God he is okay!!!!

    Love you Much Much!!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete