[My] Life in Wisconsin

Women's Thyroid Levels Linked to Risk of Alzheimer's Disease

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2008/07/30/thyroid-alzheimers.htm
Have you had your thyroid checked lately?
Cancer or Alzheimers... Which do you prefer???

XOXO
Me

Women's Thyroid Levels Linked to Risk of Alzheimer's Disease

Wednesday July 30, 2008

Women with low or high levels of the hormone thyrotropin (also known as Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, or TSH) have an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease.

Find out more about the issue, including what levels of TSH are considered "high" and "low," in this article about the connection between Alzheimers disease and thyroid problems in women.

More on Alzheimer's and the Thyroid Link

Subclinical Hyperthyroidism May Increase Alzheimer's And Dementia Risk

Low TSH Levels Are a Risk Factor for Alzheimer's Disease


5 comments:

  1. Wow. That's interesting. Will have to check into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a matter of fact, my thyroid was checked four months and all is as it should be.

    Cancer or Alzheimers? Uh, neither.

    Also bookmarked the link...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thyroid cancer can only be detected by very specific checks. It will mess with every system in your body, and leave the Docs scratching their heads, because your thyroid functions will be normal. If you're family has a history of thyroid problems ask for more in depth checking.
    Holy crap I'm already air headed. Wonder what I'll be like with Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe
    You do have that history in your own family, don't you???

    And KNOW the truth about the real levels. Make sure the lab you use is NOT referring to the old levels (.5 to 5.) as being normal.
    Some doctors STILL use those giudeline.
    The new NORMAL and acceptable level is .3 to 3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the ''new'' normal level. I'll ask my doctor the next time I see him what my levels were/are.

    Strange thing is...my levels didn't become normal until after I retired. Go figure.

    Come to think of it, the next time I see him, I'll be due for blood work again (done twice a year).

    ReplyDelete