[My] Life in Wisconsin

Please. Copy. Paste. Share. Email. Vote.

  magnify

Photo taken at St. Marys, in March.

LONG,
BUT A "MUST READ" ~IF YOU HAVE NOT DECIDED WHO TO VOTE FOR.

Many of you know that I am not a very political person. I stay 'current' best I can, but that is about it.

I do not mean to ever tell anyone who to vote for, but in the case of many "undecided votes" this is only an appeal to them.

Have you noticed where the McCain/Palin signs are?
Am wondering how many of those people really DO make in excess of 200/250K each year?

A while back I'd posted a blog that had cinched my own vote.

It is simply entitled: "An Open Letter to John McCain" http://flintville.multiply.com/journal/item/681
(Please CLICK HERE to read this if you are unfamiliar with it).

So that you know up front, I have voted for Barack Obama.

I have voted since 1976, (the year I turned 18). I have always been proud to cast my vote.

I am neither Republican nor Democrat.
As my own record will allow, I have voted for both through the years.

My youngest daughter is chronically ill.
She suffers from Chronic Pancreatitis.

It is a debilitating disease which, at her age, (21), has been treated mostly only to control the pain.

She has also had many many surgeries, exploratory and otherwise.
With each bout of pancreatitis, her pancreas is slowly digesting itself...

She has lost three out of her last 4 jobs because she has been hospitalized too often. (The 4th being a temporary tax position, for tax season).

Maintaining straight A+'s before she was ill and incapacitated, she has struggled to even be allowed to attend college.
(As many of you already know, that struggle did NOT pay off for her).

http://flintville.multiply.com/tag/%26quot%3Bcollege_problems%26quot%3B

*See "UWGB"- or "college problems" within my tags on my top page

UWGB (The University of Wisconsin at Green Bay), REQUIRED that she guarantee that she could attend an entire semester without being hospitalized, or they would pull her grant money and student loans. Forced then to withdraw by Mr. Herrity, she has been unable to guarantee that with each subsequent semester.

I have watched her go downhill by leaps and bounds some days.

She has constant pain.

Some days it is minor, (# 5 pain), ~livable.

Others she is completely down for the count.

At its worst and ugliest, she is hospitalized for weeks at a time.

She now uses a cane because she cannot eat many things that are vital to her survival.
As her body leaches the protein from her muscles, she quickly grows too weak to walk without the assistance of that cane.

And on to my thoughts/quotes.

In a nutshell a few words from CNN really caught my attention this weekend.

On explaining the differences in the two candidates Health Care Reform. I believe that Austin Goolsbee explained it best.

If I had any reservations of casting my vote, suffice to say I have none now.

As close to the actual words as I could jot them down:

"McCains plan completely undoes the employer based coverage that is the cornerstone of coverage in our country.

20 million people are covered by employer based health insurance.
Under McCains plan, the costs to the employer will be astronomical.

So those 20 million people , (many of whom are already sick), will be thrown into the individual market where the costs are going to be extremely high, or where they just may be excluded because they have a preexisting condition."

That is not possible under Senator Obama's plan, but it is guaranteed under McCains.

Buying your own insurance, even with the 5K for families (paid for by taxing your health insurance monies), will still end up costing the insured.


Trying to buy health insurance?
For a family, 12K is average.
(Then add on your copays, and your deductibles, etc).

As it is now, health insurance companies compete by excluding those who are sick, (like my daughter).

Douglas Eakin then rebutted this with McCains ideas of rewarding prevention and rewarding wellness.

"Mr Eakin, my daughter has done nothing to have/deserve/obtain this disease.
She is neither a drinker, nor has she used illicit/illegal/street drugs to become an addict."

Eakin also said about deferring treatment away from the acute care facilities; the ER's, the hospitals and the like.
That seems to be all well and good. Especially in a perfect world.
*** But what happens when a chronically ill person needs to be treated/hospitalized on weekends?

Would your plan force those doctors to keep their individual doors open 24/7 ? Doubtful.
(Please remember that many of these Drs. make well in excess of 250K/ annually).

As was noted on another show, I also have seen no other Republicans touting McCains health care plan.
That in itself, is highly questionable.

For years, I was paying in excess of $460.00 per month for my own health insurance.
Did I have preexisting conditions at that point?
Yes. Migraine headaches and hypothyroidism. (Neither of which were covered by my insurance for that 1st year; nor were the meds).

One of my daughters surgeries/hospitalizations was in excess of $49,000. (This was after she had been dropped by the college, and then by her fathers health insurance because she was not attending college).

Talk about a vicious circle...
These monies came directly out of my pocketbook, as did many others.


The way I see it...


Think about yourself for a moment...

  • High blood pressure?
  • Thyroid problems?
  • Domestic abuse
  • Migraines?
  • Epilepsy?
  • Previous heart attack or stroke?
  • Ever treated for Lyme Disease?
  • Emotional problems?
  • Any mental diagnosis', including mild depression?
  • Diabetic?
  • Endometriosis?
  • Recurring back pain?

    CLUE: If you have gone to the doctor in the last 3-5 years, then you already have a preexisting condition.

Any of those and you are prevented from obtaining medical coverage, including Medicare backup policies, unless you are rich to begin with.

But wait, that just takes us back to the good old boys in Washington D.C.

A vicious circle of ... ?


Mr McCain, you lost my vote when you said the following in the last debate:
"America will receive more money under my plan because they will receive not only their present benefits, which may be taxed, which will be taxed, but then you add $5,000 onto it, except for those people who have the gold-plated Cadillac insurance policies that have to do with cosmetic surgery and transplants and all of those kinds of things."
end quote

I have heard no apologies nor clarifications from you or your 'people' regarding this. How can you possibly put cosmetic surgery and life saving transplants in the same group?
"Gold plated Cadillac?" You have GOT to be kidding!

~So, here's clarification from me.
Your health care proposal?
It is only more money if people do not spend it.
It is only "better" if they do not have to go further into debt to use it in accordance with your proposal.

I have always prided myself on not selecting my vote on one issue.
I haven't.
I also believe that Mr. Obama will get my Godson out of Iraq.
(But that's a whole nother can of worms).

_____

To my readers,
If you are reading this on Monday know that we will be on the road to visit yet another doctor... Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Furthermore, should you feel this has any merit, please forward or pass it along some other way.

Please do leave my links etc. attached ~so people can be directed to Casey's illness or stories if they would like.

Thank You.
Anne, Anna~Anna, Mama D.
http://flintville.multiply.com/
Anna_Loves_Life@Yahoo.com


*  If there is even the slightest chance that CaseyAnne would be denied health insurance in the future under McCain's proposal, then it is high time to ensure that does NOT happen!

And, there are too many others like herself that struggle to even function on a daily level.

Turn my vote against help for them all?  Not a chance.

Please join me in voting for Mr. Barack Obama.



Originally posted to my Y! 360, Sunday November 2, 2008 - 11:38pm (CST)

28 comments:

  1. 5000.00 would not even begin to cover my insurance needs, i am a very sick woman, insulin dependant diabetic, lupus and many assorted other ailments, Please , Please I hope everyone joins us in voting Obama!! or innocent people like dear Casey and I get to die without medical attention.......if not.....just another example of the rich get richer and the poor die. my insurance as it stands right now is 620 per month, then add my 20% of everything on top of that.....were drowning over here....Please America.....do the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now.. as much as I hate to ... I must bow my head to your logic on this one. Doesnt mean I have to like it.. Doesnt mean I have to trust that he will actually do what he says.

    My biggest issue.. I want change.. I dont believe that Obama will provide it. This nation is run by Congress which is a majority of Democrats.. Pelosi and Reid being the two largest. Do I believe they will do anything to help this country on any issue, including health care? Nope I dont! They have done nothing in the last 4 years.. why start now? They have not even made good on the promises they made.

    To put a Democratic President in with a Democratic Congress .. all stops will be off .. You can forget anything done about the trillion dollar deficit that is crippling this nation. I dont believe he will have the balls to stand up to them or their radical ideas. He will cripple our military and devestate our ability to defend this nation.. he has as much said so. He will pull our military out of Iraq with less than honor. How many young men and women will have then died in vain?

    Will he manage to do anything for us with the insurance companies.. I doubt it.. I have said it before and I say it again. We need insurance reform.. not our government into our medical files. The medical insurance he proposes.. I hope that I am wrong but I dont believe it will be affordable for any of us. His idea of affordable and my idea Im sure are no where near close. Is McCains better? No I dont believe so.. $5000 to cover medical insurance is a joke..

    I do believe Obama will be the next President.. and my opinion... May God Help us All!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Pamela;

    I don't know how long you will have to stand in line, or in what kind of weather...
    But I hope you can do it long enough to vote.

    As an added bonus, Obama co authored a bill on Stem Cell research.
    And yes, credit given where due, McCain did vote "yea" on this bill, but offered no personal opinions on that either

    God Bless you, and everyone that suffers so needlessly.
    ...And I am sure that when Casey gets to this blog that she will thank you too.

    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sweet Connie~Beep;
    I know how very hard it was for you to write those first few lines. And I humbly thank you for them.
    I know too that this blog will not change your mind. I wrote it for those undecided votes anyway.

    I know that you feel he may not follow through.

    To that I can only say "WHAT IF?"

    I am not sure either, how honorable it is to have to not 'lose' in Iraq.
    And I honestly do not care as long as Sean and all the rest come home safely and expeditiously.

    Yes, he will probably then go 'in search of' the vanquished bin Laden; as will many others.
    But we have shown Iraq the right way, and it is now up to them to follow or die.
    We need to take care of our own first.

    And I need to take care of Casey in any way that gives hope. And all I know is that with McCains plan, there is not even a modicum of hope for herself and so many others.

    Love to you always.

    XOXO
    Anne

    RockLuvsBeep.com

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as I have said many times...
    I do not vote only because I feel as though my vote doesn't count...

    BUT if I did vote, it would be for Obama. It is time for a change. It is time for a Democrat to be in office. Bush has just about ruined us in the past 8 years... From what I have seen and heard McCain's plans are not that far off from Bush's. We do not need another Bush in office!

    No one can guarantee that Obama will actually do what he says he will do but then again, McCain can not guarantee it either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the only thing that gives me a little hope..

    What IF??? he actually will lower my taxes.. What IF??? he actually gives me a viable alternative on healthcare What IF?? he will let me take $10000 of my retirement money without a penalty?

    ON all of these things.. I did the tax rate calculator thing and I didnt save much if anything.. I hate that hes gonna allow the Bush tax cuts to expire. I personally think the death tax should be made permanent.

    There again.. there is so much more to his policies I dont believe will happen.. so much more that I am just sick over. If we pull out of Iraq too soon.. then we send the wrong message to so many more than just Bin Laden.. They will consider the US weak and will come after us here on our soil. I can only pray that Obama will remember as he is cutting our Military and taking away our guns that someone has to protect this nation.

    And frankly.. Bitch that I am... I could care less what other countries think of us here in the States..

    And dont even get me started on the Energy Crisis here in this nation. FRIGHTENING!

    ReplyDelete

  7. KhoolMan;
    I got all the way up to cattle prods before I realized what a horses patoot Goodman is.

    Please translate this in your own words and I will reply.

    Please let me knw how it would apply then to Caseys life after transplant if this is indeed what the Dr. would recommend for her.

    Please let me know how it might work then for her preexisting condition.

    Thanks
    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

  8. SlurkieBaby!

    You are right about the highlighted words.
    (But methinks you might be wrong about not voting).

    And as far as the health plans go, I am only choosing the one that offers HOPE for Casey.
    My choice is Obama, hands down, and for all the reasons I listed above.
    Nothing more, and nothing less.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly did not feel like that until Bush got into office...

    I am already planning on registering to vote for the next elections. I will be fully prepared and ready to cast my vote then!

    I know that you have voted for the man who you think is right for the job... I agree with you whole heartedly. Obama's plans give us hope. Hope for health care. Hope for the war in Iraq. A hope for things to get better!

    And we (your friends & family) are all hoping for Casey to get better!

    Much Love to You!

    SlurkieSta

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sweet friend, here is my fear.

    With government involvement in the health care business. Costs will go down and services will be cut. Think the VA and medicare. Though the doctors and nurses work hard, I think individual care will be less than satisfying. Look at Hawaii, they canceled their mandatory health care for youngsters because of cost. The well is only so deep.

    I don't know what the answer is, but I dread government involvement in healthcare.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Slurkie!
    I am happy to hear this!

    Know too that you can register at the polls! So know it is not too late to take a drive down there tomorrow and vote!

    You are so sweet!

    Love right back at you

    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr KhoolMan;

    You dread it, and there are those that cheer it too.
    Especially where it has worked out fine.

    Here is a comment from Gidgy on 360, the same posting as the one above.

    XOXO
    Me

    ____________

    i sit here, read this, and tears well up in my eyes.
    i find the health system in the usa almost inhumane.
    how could anybody be forced into such debt, for something they have absolutely no control over?

    i'm sure everyone knows, but here in canada, we do not pay a single penny to walk into ANY doctor's office.
    we do not pay a single penny for any treatment (including all testing, all diagnosis, all surgeries, all hospital stays, follow-ups etc...) for any medical problems. of course, anything cosmetic, etc...is paid out of pocket, which it should be. but anything that is medical, our government pays for.

    by no means am i saying that our country is better than urs, but i will say i'm proud of our medical coverage.
    we don't pay monthly insurance premiums either...it's all paid for by our government.

    at least this is one this canada has gotten right!
    prescriptions, dental and eyecare is paid for by employers. the most a family would pay per month is generally about 50 dollars premium to the employers for this.

    i don't believe anybody should have to pay for this kind of service, especially people as ill as casey.
    as u say, she did NOTHING to get this disease. it doesn't cost us a cent to have a baby. it doesn't cost us a cent to have a disease.
    this should be how it is for everyone. it pains me knowing the debt most americans go into should they fall ill...it's just not right.
    i'm with u tho, i think barack obama is exactly what ur country (and ours) needs!!!!
    huggggggggggggs to u and casey xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. And you didn't answer my questions.

    ?

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got home from voting for Obama. I hope Casey's appointment went well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess the question i didn't answer is how this will effect Casey. Truth is I don't know. What I suspect is that her care will be diminished in that the system will be on overload and the quality of care will go down. I understand this is the case in the UK and Canada. Take a look at some of the waiting lists times in these countries. I had heard that some of the legislatures in the UK are buying additional health care insurance because of how poor their national care has gotten.

    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of any government run system that is affordable and run smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr KhoolMan,

    That is truly the one question I wanted answered.
    That really was the purpose of the whole blog.

    You and I and many others could give a good damn about whether we have preexisting conditions, because anyone over 40 does.
    Casey is 21 and so this will follow her forever with McCains plan.

    So at least tell me why no other Republican anywhere won't endorse McCains plan, even freakin' Rush Limbaugh has stayed away from it.


    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. It matters not now. You know I wish nothing buy the best for you and Casey. i want her better, I pray for her as that is all I can do.

    With Love & Caring

    ReplyDelete

  18. It always matters Mr. KhoolMan.
    And I know you have us in your thoughts and prayers.
    And that, my dear friend, is what matters as well!

    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in tears... I knew it was an appeal and it concerned me and I don't want people to think I am biased, but I am moved. I really have an upward looking take one things most of the time, but that is from the inside looking out. To hear it and know how incredibly true it is really sets things in. I know that sounds weird, but it is true.

    I can look away from this until things get obvious: when I am in the hospital for two weeks and off food for over 5 days, when I know I am about to fall because my legs are being turned into "food" for my needing body, and when I look at where I stand compared to where a "normal" 21 year old should be.

    But then I look forward to knowing that I have the most wonderful family who can hold my hand and reassure me that no matter how bad it gets, things will be alright soon. To know that I have a mom who will and has done everything in her power to ensure that I have a cure coming my way. I know this can and will probably get worse before it gets better, but I can't wait until I am healed. Not only for me, but for everyone, especially you Mom, who has helped me through this. So that they can see me healthy and well and know that the time we have spent on this had a great and happy ending.

    Thank you so much for this Mom, you are my hero and I hope to be so much like you and have such a caring, loving heart.

    Love you MUCH MUCH!!!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet Maidenbarreda,

    I am so sorry to hear of what you must go through. I cannot say I know how you feel, but I sure know what debt feels like and what it is like to worry about not being able to afford going to the ER when needed or getting medicines that are vital. I have joined and have voted along with so many others who know what the right choice will ultimately be!!!

    Thank you sweetheart, and know that I will keep you in my prayers!!

    Love to you,
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mom,

    I believe he will go in search of Bin Laden, and won't be afraid to look in the country that Bin Laden is ACTUALLY in! Bush did say he would go to hell and back to find him, but yet refuses to go to the one place where he is. That seems fishy...

    And what defines "winning" or "losing" this war. We have gone out there, eliminated possible and probable threats, and gave them the option of turning themselves into a democracy. Winning? I think we have proved our point. You are right, we have shown them the way and it is all up to them now. I don't know about you, but I think too many soldiers are dying in VAIN everyday now, and have been for a while... We are in Iraq, must search out bombs placed in Iraqi cars that are meant for Iraqi people and then die from them. Why? They are placing those bombs there for others in their own country, and if they want to self-destruct, that is their problem. We have kept the country safe enough for innocents or people who were tied down by the government to leave. I say we let them deal with their own problems.

    Let's save our troops and bring them home.

    "We need to take care of our own first."

    SO TRUE. I must remove the stick from my eye first before I remove the stick from my brothers for if I don't I won't be of much use and we'll both be worse off.

    Make America strong, so that others may be helped more once we are able to stand again.

    Sorry... little opinionated there...

    Love you Much Much!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Khoolaid...

    I know this is all post-election, but I have to point out a few weird things with this guy...

    Obama Secret 1: regarding children being insured

    I am sorry, but all parents who have children should make sure that they are insured. This should be a GIVEN.

    And the last sentence is right, option A and B will lower the family's discretionary income. SO CHOOSE OPTION C WHICH IS FREE!!! Or is that too easy???

    I think this guy is merely rewording the truth to make is sound more difficult...

    Obama Secret 2: regarding employers who don't provide health insurance for employees

    Well, yes, if the employer opts to NOT insure his/her employees, then they will be taxed and as the cookie crumbles the employees will see that effect.

    SO WHY NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE???? Not only would you get reimbursements from it (it is lower cost for the employer to purchase it) but seeing as how the employees will not have to pay as much for insurance, they will have more money in their pockets. Problem solved...

    Obama Secret 3: regarding capital gains and dividends

    A tax increase should have a glass ceiling, and it is probably mandatory that they cap it at something. But do you know what it is at now?

    I think that taking away those tax breaks for the wealthy will help IMMENSELY!!! I might be wrong, but I don't think that capital gains and dividends are the only sourse of the wealthy people's money... What about income taxes????

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Like I said, I am not apt to taking this man's word on everything (or anything at all), looking deeper should be the first thought that occurs to readers of his....

    Sorry if I have offended you personally, I never mean to. I just saw an error and I expressed my opinion...

    Love to you!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear SlurkieSta,

    Thank you so much for the thoughts and love! It is much appreciated and welcome!! Thank you also for helping us and for deciding to vote, it is one of the most important acts we have the right to do as Americans, we can speak for who we want representing us. I know it feels like your vote doesn't count, but do you think that maybe it's not the vote that gets you down, but the representatives not being very representative of our wishes? Just some food for thought... Yay for voting!!

    Lots of Love!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Casey,

    I don't get offended by political talk. I think it comes down to one's perspective of how the government works or in more cases doesn't work.

    I think in this article the guy was playing devils advocate on both sides. I don't know I agree with him, I just thought it was interesting.

    By increases taxes on businesses and those who create jobs you have to remember that the money must come from somewhere. If taken out of the business it will mean less available funds to grow or sustain the business. Prices will rise and/or employees will lose their jobs. I'd rather have the money in the hands of the public rather than the government.

    You know on second thought I am offended. You can make it up to me by making a house visit in that nurses outfit, if mom will ok it.

    Seriously Casey, I pray for you nothing but wellness and health and joy. You keep you hopes set on High and know we care for you.
    Peace - Khoolaid

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just had to 'save' these words as Sam (KhoolAid), is now running for public office...

    ReplyDelete