[My] Life in Wisconsin

PICC Line Gone!

"He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only wise."
Voltaire
Sometimes these little quotes make me stop and think...

Good Afternoon;
Casey is trying to sleep and I have a few moments.
Me. + My camera. + a computer. (At times a downright dangerous combination).
hehehe

It is freezing cold out today. 8 above. A fresh layer of snow (and under that about 1/4 inch of ice). I am more than tired of winter.  Took me the better part of half an hour just to leave the parking lot at the hotel earlier. Scrape and grunt. And FREEZE!
My own fault; as I disremembered about the freezing rain that came down before the snows last night. It is warm and comfy in the room at the hotel, and I have a way of thinking "if it's nice INside..."
.
.
?
January 09 1 010
Casey sits in the rocker...
.
.
.
.
It looks so gorgeous today too. Sun is shining so bright- hardly a cloud anywhere. But the wind leaves a LOT to be desired.
Green Bay (read "Flintville"), got the same darn stuff. I read that some churches had even canceled services because the roads were so treacherous.

I started the car (still thankful for that new Sears DieHard battery), and turned the seat heat on too. When The Punk is with me, she is still not too sure why her backside gets toasty warm. (Funny, that).
.
.
.
.
January 2nd '09 002
.
.
.
Casey's PICC Line is out.
But now she is having a hard time keeping anything solid down. She drinks lots of liquid though. Water. G2. A bit of broth.  They gave her some pills to put under her tongue now to keep the icky~barfies away. (They don't seem to work too well).
But I did find some Vitamin Water for her too.
.
.
?

January 09 1 004
.
.
.

Speaking of products...
On one of the sites on Yahoo I had read that there is an increased risk of septic when one is given TPN through a PICC Line. Am wondering if any of you have heard of that?
Here is what one lady had written; 
(She was talking about "Benecalorie", which I still have to check into). But her reference to the septic PICC Line is what I zeroed in on...
Her words...
"I am a Type I diabetic as a result of a TP/ICT. Where it gets its calories from, I have no idea. It's expensive though.
But TPN through a PICC is kinda risky. I went septic a number of times because of the PICC.
Basically, Benecalorie is Boost without all the extra stuff, like the chocolate flavoring, etc compacted to 1.5 ounce. It's not prescription. I recommend it over TPN mainly because of the septic risk"...

Caseys temp is at 99.2. She normally has a body temp of 97.2, so this is a bit high.
(Maybe I should just drag her outside for a little while)? hehehe

Two days ago she was told she could leave the Transplant floor.
.
.
.
January 09 1 025
Casey, with one of the residents on staff.
.
.
.
No holding her back from exploring the rest of the hospital then; although that IV Pole is a little hard to maneuver over the cracks where the elevator opens. It didn't take her long to have that down to a science; getting her wheels lined up, and giving it a good shove. Whatever works...
.
.
?
January 09 1 021
She took this picture down in the lobby..
.
.
.
And I took this next one...
.
.
?
January 09 1 030
Blackmail if you ask me!!!
But way too cute!
Hope Greg isn't reading this...
.
.
.
No PICC Line also means that she can throw on a t-shirt too. (Maybe I should have gotten her matching pants too, but she was happy to have it anyway).
.
.
?
January 2nd '09 023
We visited another TP/AIT Transplant patient.
.
.
.
That is Miss Theresa in the background. She has had many surgeries after her initial one- (So I am thinking that perhaps I shouldn't have been so freaked out last Sunday when Casey had to go back in for a 2nd one).
That's her mom (Denise), in the picture, along with her two sisters, (Jamie and Shannon). They all flew out all the way from New Jersey on Christmas. And are leaving today. What a beautiful family she has!
And Theresa is pretty darned beautiful too.
.
.
.
.

001
You can tell how pretty they both are, even though they're in pain.
.
.
.
I'd better close- Oh she is up and SO sick to her tummy...

Love to all

XOXO
Me
.
.
.
.
.

16 comments:

  1. It sure looks like though the road is bumpy, it's a good road to be on. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting rid of that tether means Freedom for Casey! She can wander the halls now.

    And what a cute pix of her and Charlie Brown! Better not let Greg see that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see and hear this!!! Casey's color looks pretty good compared to some of the pics you've posted. Way to go, Casey!!!

    I'm lovin' that pic of her and Charlie Brown!!

    BIG HUGS, LOTS OF LOVE AND LOADS OF PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope that it is all smooth travel from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, you know your love life sucks when you're jealous of Charlie Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that Casey is doing better! She looks really, really good...

    I'm sure too that she is excited to be able to walk around the hospital... Staying in one place can get monotonous sometimes...

    Has Greg been able to come up and see her or talk to her on the phone?

    You need to get some rest my dear friend... I know that is easier said than done!

    Sending warm filled hugs, love & prayers your way!

    Slurkie

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sure is a tropper and beautiful also! Glad she is doing better! She looks a lot better too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Rock!
    Oh my goodness she is looking great! Now why is she sick to her stomach???? I hate being sick like that and Im sure she isnt handling it too well either.

    I just cant get over how great she is looking!

    Hugs

    beepluvsrock.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can she have yoghurt? That might help her get her tummy back on its feet after all the glue they have been feeding her?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so good to see Casey up and about, and with a smile on her face! Thank goodness she's not having those awfully painful pancreatic attacks she use to have, and soon the nausea will go away and she'll be eating solid food again. The main thing is that she's on the road to recovery, and every day she'll be feeling better and better. Soon Casey will be sleeping in her own bed again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had to come back and see Casey's smiling face. I just can't get over the improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many good and not so good aspects to all of this. It certainly is wonderful that she is doing this well and getting around and even socializing. The rollercoaster does still seem present though since the nausea seems so bad.
    BUT, it is great that it isnt worse!!!
    I LOVE the pic with Charlie Brown.....Love, love, love IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is looking wonderful and healthy..I know it won't be long and she'll be doing cartwheels!! such a lovely girl and sounds like the people she is working with to get well are doing a good job of taking care of her..not to mention a loving mommy by her side.*heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Casey looks fabulous and I just love the pic of her and Charlie Brown!! How r u and the punkster getting along?

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS: I survived the Jr High SS class yesterday! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am so very happy to see some good news and Casey looks 100% better.....Xmas is just running a little late my dear friend. God speed. Hugs. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete