[My] Life in Wisconsin

Jamie Dukes says Brett Favre is the victim here -

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jamie-Dukes-says-Brett-Favre-is-the-victim-here?urn=nfl,169755
Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am EDT
Jamie Dukes says Brett Favre is the victim here

By MJD

I like Jamie Dukes, and I think he does a terrific job on the NFL Network, but the latest viewpoint that he voices on NFL.com, I find to be, well, let's say "novel."

Dukes is of the opinion that Brett Favre has been made a victim through his retirement, his unretirement, interception-fest with the Jets, retirement, and then likely unretirement again. Dukes is a former player, and I think a player is more likely to take Brett Favre's(notes) side than a regular joe, and that's completely understandable. I strongly disagree, though, and I'd like to go through Dukes' latest blog post line-by-line to demonstrate how.

Brett Favre would still be a Packer if the front office didn’t push him out the door.

I guess that could be true, depending on how you look at his departure from Green Bay. I wouldn't characterize it as "pushing [Favre] out the door," but we'll get to that in a second.

Did Packers general manager Ted Thompson force Favre to retire? No. But he made it clear enough to Favre that he wanted to get his guy, Aaron Rodgers(notes), who had waited three seasons for the job since he was a first-round pick in 2005, into the lineup.

Did he? Or did Thompson get tired of waiting for Favre to make up his mind every off-season, because if he was going to have to put Aaron Rodgers in the line-up, he had to know as soon as possible so they could rebuild the offense to suit him?

Or did Favre retire, essentially tell the Packers to move on without him, and then change his mind, and expect the Packers to undo everything they did and cater to his every whim?

I don't think the Packers got tired of having Brett Favre as their quarterback, I think they got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for Favre to make up his mind so they could see who their quarterback was going to be every year.

So what was Favre to do? The fire was still in his belly, but the clock was working against him.

If the fire was in his belly, I wish he would have just let someone know, instead of saying for months on end, "You know, I can't really tell if this belly-fire is completely extinguished or not. I'll let you know when I know, which might be tomorrow, or it might be in the middle of training camp."

If Favre is guilty of anything, it’s having pride.

Or of being unable to make a decision.

His pride told him that he didn’t want to stay where he wasn’t wanted. It was 49ers coach Mike Singletary who said it best a few weeks ago: “Players want to feel wanted.” Favre felt Thompson wanted him gone.

Even if Thompson was absolutely hell-bent on getting Favre out of Green Bay (which I don't think he was), would that really be so terrible? Would Brett Favre be the first player in the history of the NFL to feel the sting of a team not wanting him anymore? He's a victim because he's gone through something that thousands and thousands of other players have gone through before him?

I don’t understand why it’s a big deal that Favre wants to play football again.

It's not a big deal that Favre wants to play football again. What is a big deal, though, is that he can't make up his mind this year, couldn't make it up last year, and even struggled the few years before that. If you were a general manager, would you appreciate having that uncertainty at your quarterback position every offseason until Favre felt like making a decision?

If you were the Jets, would you appreciate Favre saying that he wanted his release so he could retire a Packer, only for it to become obvious weeks later that he really just wanted to be a Viking?

He should be allowed to play as long as someone is willing to sign him.

He is. He just happens to be doing it very childishly and very annoyingly.

The way I see it, Favre has done nothing wrong.

Wanting to play another year in Minnesota, just so he can "stick it" to the Packers ... you're okay with that? You think that's a good reason to play football? You think the Minnesota Vikings should turn themselves into a vehicle for Brett Favre's childish revenge?

He still has it. Look at last season — he played fantastic until he hurt his arm late in the season.

That part still counts, though, right? The part where he cost the Jets a spot in the playoffs? The Jets don't still get playoff money just because Brett Favre was good before then, do they?

Look, I understand if you don’t want Favre on your team, but it’s hypocritical to say he should stop playing because you think it’s time for him to stop.

Again, I'm not saying he should stop playing. It's not for me to tell anyone else, in any profession, when they should retire. I don't do that. It would be nice, though, if Brett Favre could act like an adult, make a decision, and stick with it.

What if I were to tell you that you have worked at your job long enough and it’s my opinion that you should look for something else to do?

It would be a completely different situation than what we're talking about here. No one's mad at Brett Favre because they think he should retire. People are mad at Brett Favre because he's acting like a real child about it.

You would tell me where to go.

Probably.

Favre is entitled to the same liberties as anyone else.

True. Everyone's got the right to be an ass.


******************

My own opinion is that Terrible Ted Thompson is as nasty as they come.
But with Freak~Show~Favre, I have lost much respect for Brett too.

Thanks for the memories Brett, but you have UNclassed yourself in a huge way.
And *IF* you become a Viking, I can only hope that we kick you ass from here to eternity. (That is, providing you, your ego, and your shoulder are still in the game after Indianapolis, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, and San Francisco)...

XOXO
Me

GO PACK, GO!



XOXO
Me

23 comments:

  1. I must agree with you... He reminds me of the old man who goes out and buys a bright red convertible sports car so he can feel sexy again.

    Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, swimming, track.. these sports take a large toll on the body and it is a fact that although he may still be good.. he is not as good as he was in his twenties .. He should take his money and his retirement and find a new passion.. Im very sure he would be just as good at that as he was in his football career.

    He is being childish and selfish.. and needs to have his butt royally kicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ask me, I think management is just as guilty about playing childish games as Brett is. I mean really....they signed him to play but yet they don't want to wait for him to make a decision. Their season is on the line and by all of them playing their little games, well, I think there seasons are lost before they even begin.

    As for the on again, off again retirement....look at how many professional athletes have done that but no one makes a big deal about it. With the money they make, they can do whatever they want. I think any team would be happy to have him. And I do mean ANY team be it the Vikings, Chiefs, Rams, who care where he plays. If he wants to play, let him. Why force him into retirement just because he's got a few years on him? That is just wrong.

    I'll follow Brett no matter where he plays just to see how he does. He's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. That should speak volumes in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even before he signs, his entire family has blocked off many many rooms at Midway.
    What does THAT say to anyone with half a brain?

    ♫ The games people play...♫ Right?

    Will I follow him? Sure, but only to see the scores/plays etc.
    I won't be watching a game just because it's Brett anymore.

    AND, he still wants to retire from Green Bay? wth?

    XOXO
    Me

    Methinks someone should lock him and Terrible Ted up together, and may the best man win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What difference does it make if his family takes "blocks" of rooms? As long as they are paid for and used, it should make anyone any never mind. Not any different than a wedding party, a school group, etc....taking "blocks" of rooms.

    As for him wanting to retire from Green Bay...most athletes are that way...they want to retire from the same team they started out at.

    Maybe if they'd get rid of "terrible ted", Brett would still be there but it's obvious that he wanted Brett gone. If you ask me, it's Ted the fans should be irate about and not Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if he's holding out for $ with MN, then why block the rooms if he doesn't get it. Get it??
    That makes no sense. Like I said, ... ♫ The games people play...♫ Right?

    And y'all already know how I feel about Terrible Ted so that's a no brainer.

    It's all back to the GAMES. And it is trying to be a black mark on my Pack.

    Like I also said, thanks for the memories Brett...
    No class there anymore...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Packer fan. Was before Brett played, was during Brett's tenure, still am and will be in 20 years (God willing). I think your attitude toward this whole situation - Favre losing the respect he had - is the majority consensus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, actually I don't get it....if he's paying for those blocks of rooms, who are we to make a big deal about it? It's his family and his money, he can do with it as he so chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the biggest Favre fan evre has fallen off the wagon?

    Glad to hear you are sticking by your team!

    XOXOOX

    ReplyDelete

  9. I hear ya on ALL counts Mr KhoolMan!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry- Lost the damn connection and couldn't find page again. I have NOTHING showing up in my Multiply pages. "No posts found"
    WTF?

    Yes, you are right about that. We'll see about the rooms then.

    And you are right about the fact that if he wants to play, let him.
    His days of superhero seem to be fading fast. And I hope Minnesota gets him.
    hehehe

    Likened to Jerry Yang himself, "pride goeth before the fall".
    And Yang was Yahoo's diva... their golden boy and all. (Look at them now).
    The golden boy should be played. Hard.

    When motivation = spite it is not a good enough card to play for a football contract where that spite will only be good for two or three games.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  11. You betcher sweet bippy I stand by my team, win or lose!

    Favre did very well for Green Bay. It would be mighty st00pid to say otherwise. His record is truly magnificent.
    But magnificent does not describe the man or his motives, it only describes his record with The Pack.

    I am a Packers fan, not a Favre fan. My allegiance does not stray just because Favre is gone from Green Bay.

    Pa and Rosie would watch the games on the old black and white TV- (I could ask questions only when their arguments were over during the commercials). hehehe But through all of that, I learned that there is green and gold in my heart.
    And through the years that followed, I have also learned that I like it there.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally, I think athletes get paid ENTIRELY too much money and then the cost gets passed down to the very people that are trying to watch them and can't afford to. I agree with you Annie, Farve should be able to play with whomever will have him.
    I also think the "I don't know if I'll play this year" is wrong. If you are paid to play, play. If you're not going to play, give the money back you received for that season. It seems the longer we go the more athletes act like children, "Pay me what I want or I'll haol my breath until I turn blue" attitude. I thought even though they are playing a game they were supposed to be adults. If so, act like one. Or quit playing and rest on your laurels.

    JMHO from Usuns in KY ( who don't even HAVE a big league team.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No athlete is a superhero...they are human just like everyone else. They are just better at some things. Nothing wrong with that. I think any team would be happy to have him beings it was obvious the Packers wanted him gone. That just might come back to bite them in the hiney later on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh You are SO right Sweet Cille;
    Dad always said they were overpaid to make ANY mistakes at all. And he was right too!

    Favre isn't turning blue- hehehe
    And besides, if he holds his breath that long, he will only pass out and just resume regular BS.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  15. No. Ted Thompson wanted him gone. (Ted Thompson is NOT the Packers, only top turd).

    As I predicted last year, you are correct now too, it WILL comeback to bite .

    TT still reminds me of a spoiled little belligerent child who always has to have the last word and always has to be right.
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete

  16. I know...
    But you have to admit it was getting a little hot in here too.

    ReplyDelete


  17. Gonna have to check your history, Brett Favre did NOT start out with The Green Bay Packers.

    ReplyDelete

  18. Gonna have to check your history, Sweet Pam, Brett Favre did NOT start out with The Green Bay Packers.

    ReplyDelete