[My] Life in Wisconsin

Only One Way In, and Only One Way Out

.
  magnify
Street Decor of the Day!
06/11/2009


"President Obama in Green Bay, Wisconsin"

As many of you know, President Obama came to Green Bay on Thursday.
.
.
Cnv0132
.
.
Casey and I had SO wanted tickets, but that darn White House never called our numbers. We contented ourselves to sit on the lawn and chat with her neighbors, various security, and a charming young journalist who happens to be getting married today!.

Casey and Greg live in the security apartments right across the road from Southwest High School. The Green Bay Police had brought the blockades on Wednesday already, so Casey had called management to inquire-
*Packerland Drive would be completely closed off, (as would be all entrances and exits from the complex), from 11AM until 3PM.
(I left here at 10:15, and was still challenged as I arrived at Packerland Drive).
.
.
Cnv0130
I had to turn left at that intersection.

.
.
There seemed to be surveillance everywhere, and lots of "men in black" too.
As I arrived at the entrance, (10:30), there was a police car blocking it already. He told me to try the next entrance.
There? Another police car. But he allowed me through.

Punk came along also. (I think she wants health care for dogs too)! hehehe
.
.
Cnv0145
Casey holding her tight-

Punk is innately uneasy in a 'town' type setting
and did not want either of us out of her sight.

And I had walked away from her to take a few pictures
.
.
Since the road was closed completely soon after I had arrived, there was no traffic to contend with.
.
.
Cnv0167
.

Punk did quite well all things considered. UNTIL...
.
.
Cnv0140
.

.
She was NOT amused by the Coast Guard Helicopter that flew round and round!
This, from the time our President landed at Austin Straubel, until he arrived at the high school.
(This was the ONLY aircraft allowed in the air from about 45 minutes before Air Force One arrived).
.
.
Cnv0154
Casey held her tight as she growled at the helicopter...
.
.

The people lucky enough to have gotten tickets were told to park at NWTC (Northeast Wisconsin Technical College). Lamers bus lines then drove them to the high school, providing the people showed them tickets prior to boarding.
There were about 6 buses that ran back and forth.

.
.
Cnv0143
.
.
I took a few pictures around that main driveway.

Governor Doyle's car
.
.
Cnv0169

Notice the little red arrow... (Center, above).

.

.
.
There was security even up there!

This is what that little red arrow points to...
.
.
Cnv0171 .
.
.
At the back end of the main drag at the apartment complex were two vehicles that were of the "watch~and~be~watched" variety...

.
.
Cnv0170
.
.

And of course the Secret Service sharpshooters and SWAT boys on various roofs.
.
.

Cnv0147
Yes, that's a man on the roof of the school.
.
.
.
.
Cnv0172
.
.
So we found it more than interesting to be outside too!

Not sure if I would have even looked up the driveway, but the officer at that drive was watching up there a lot.
.
.
Cnv0141
.
.
The gal from WLUK Channel 11 had asked to interview Casey at one point.
(But those plans got squashed
when Mr Obama's motorcade came from the opposite direction).
.

.
I snapped a few more random pictures.

Noticing this man too.

Since there was NO FOOT TRAFFIC allowed on any of the sidewalks
, nor bicycles, he had apparently ridden his bike out of the woods.
.
.
.
.Cnv0159
.

.
.
Imagine my surprise as I turned around a few moments later and the man and bike were right behind me!
Turns out he is an old friend from Pulaski. Valerie's dad had worked for him at one point- Dave Wilkey having more than a few farms from Suamico to Pulaski to Shawano and Bonduel.
He had been driving up Highway 54 with the bike in the back of the pickup, saw all the hullaballoo, and thought he would take a little ride down to the school.
He DID have to come through the woods! hehehe Nice to see him again, and not busting his backside on one of his farms. He would stop in the store at Wouters Front every now and then completely flushed...
(He is also the ONLY person I ever allowed to go into the cooler).



There was a couple who lived nearby and had tickets to get in. They had walked through the parking lot...

(Shown below, arguing with Officer Ron Reese of GB Police Dept).

.
.
Cnv0152
.
.
.

In their defense, the parking lot announcements never said that people HAD to ride the buses.
Perhaps it was written on their tickets? Or maybe I just missed it too.

They were not allowed to cross the street. And therefore were not allowed to attend the Town Hall Meeting.
.
Officer Reese even called the SS to find out what to do. Not allowed.

In Officer Reese's defense, they could have walked on down the road through the woods to cross where it was open. Too lazy I suppose.
.
.
.

Cnv0158
Casey listening.

.
.
I had brought ample water along for Punk, but Officer Reese saved me the walk back to the car as he had donated a bottle to Miss Punk.
.
.
Cnv0164 .
.
.
We'd had a great afternoon!
And with certain respect to my panic attacks, it is probably a very good thing that our #'s weren't called. It might have been more than a world of embarrassment to have had a panic attack in front of the President of the United States...

Know that the only thing I have to add to my resume at this point is that I might have gotten yelled at by that darned Secret Service. (I didn't do it).

And then they all flew away almost as quickly as they'd come...
.
.
Cnv0168

.

Love to all!
As I want to save these little stories, I shall also be posting a new blog shortly- Perhaps later this morning. I do know I am terribly far behind...

XOXO
Me

Originally posted to the dying horse of Y! 360, Saturday June 13, 2009 - 01:10am (CDT)
free hit counters

9 comments:

  1. Right?
    And here I thought getting the tickets would be the coolest.
    I haven't found a single other blog about life on the outside of the program, so what we had was very unique. hehehe

    Nyk's Dad was closest to Mr Obama- He is Lieutenant at Ashwaubenon Public Safety and in charge of all of these kinds of events.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of excitement all around..


    Of course you know I dont like Obama.. I think he is bankrupting this country and I think his medical plan is horrible. I certainly dont want the government in charge of medical for the people of this country. The government cant run anything and make it work.. just look at the track record.

    I would have probably gotten arrested for toting a sign stating as much..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, my kids would of loved being outside there

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Germany as a child and I remember Reagan coming into the town we lived. Mom whisked us all off to a friends house in Luxembourg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah you wouldn't have gotten arrested Sweet Beep.
    But you would have been asked (nicely the 1st time) to leave Packerland Drive.
    Some idiot with an absolute hatred for Obama DID get arrested. That scares me too. And there is a huge difference between you not liking him, and this guy.
    I would say a good 80% of the signs were in support of the man.
    There was a radio rally over at Beaver Dam Park for those that did not support him. (BDP is about 1/4 mile away from the school, if that). Across the road from the back of Southwest High.

    You are right though, the excitement was palpable.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what good is it to have a protest rally 1/4 mile away.. Just tells me.. he doesnt want to see it or hear about it and doesnt really care if we like it or not..

    He is the President and he will do it his way.. and if you dont like it.. deal with it.

    Drives me batty! Bush was the same way.. his way or the highway..

    I know to be President these men must be a bit arrogant but DANG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can't believe some of the pictures you got - you might be added to the "watch list" now because of all those pics! LOL!

    Knowing how Punk is with airplanes I had a good laugh over: "Punk did quite well all things considered. UNTIL..."

    Speaking of planes... I wonder if this has anything to do with the mysterious plane you saw flying around a while back - perhaps preparing for the Presidential visit?

    Even though you didn't get tickets I'd say you had a front row seat to the goings on anyway.

    I'll be back to catch up later, I've been working so many hours, seven days a week, that I can hardly see straight anymore. I keep asking myself "What day is it??"

    ReplyDelete
  8. we got trapped at work the day he was here. They closed everything off near ther airport which included my shop. We couldn't see anything but had more than our share of black helicopters checking us out on top of our scaffolding with its tarp top and side.


    We waved cheekily.

    ReplyDelete