[My] Life in Wisconsin

HealthCare Facts ~or~ "Trying to keep the rage out of my inbox"

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Other
******************

FACT #1: Medicare will not be ended, and no benefits or services will be cut.

Your services will not be ended, nor will your benefits be cut. AARP's position on this could not be clearer. And we have sent this message loud and clear to Congress. While the current proposals include savings in Medicare by cutting out fraud, abuse, waste, and inefficiency, we're standing up and making sure benefits for Medicare recipients are not only fully protected, but are improved.1

FACT #2: No legislation currently in Congress would mandate the rationing of care. Period.

Our staff has read all of the legislation circulating in Congress and there are no provisions in these bills that would ration care for our members. None. If any ever did, we would vigorously fight to stop that legislation.2

FACT #3: There is no provision of any piece of legislation that would promote euthanasia of any kind.

The rumors out there are flat out lies. Right now Medicare does not cover counseling for end-of-life care. The portion of the bill in question would simply provide coverage for optional end-of-life consultations with doctors, so that the patient can be aware of all of the treatment options on the table. It is not mandatory and it has nothing to do with euthanasia. 3

FACT #4: We have not endorsed President Obama's plan.

In fact, we haven't endorsed any plan.
We are supporting reform of our health care system, something that has been pushed for many years.
We're working closely with Republican and Democratic members of Congress to lower health care costs and to ensure quality affordable coverage for older Americans – and we want reform legislation passed and signed by the president this year.4

So what are people fighting for in health reform?

1. Stopping insurance companies from charging older Americans unaffordable premiums because of their age.

2. Ending the practice of excluding people from insurance because of pre-existing conditions.

3. Holding down health costs and making insurance coverage more affordable for all Americans.

4. Making prescription drugs more affordable by narrowing the Medicare doughnut hole, bringing generics to market faster, and allowing Medicare to negotiate better drug prices.

Find out more and take action at HealthActionNow.org.


******************

Having argued with many already and trying to set people straight more than a few times, I have decided to put this info here for y'all.

In a nutshell, I do not want everyone elses opinions on the matter. Those emails are ONLY hearsay anyway and mean nothing)!
Not sure of you all, but as a voter, I want ONLY the facts.

And so here is the 1038 page bill for you to read.
I haven't received but 4 emails that have actually "QUOTED" the bill itself.
Rather my inbox reeks of fear- only a few peoples sadly uninformed and ignorant renditions of that bill before us.

http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/publications/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf
Read it and weep.

As small children, supposedly we were taught not to spread rumors or malicious lies.
UM, weren't we?

XOXO
Anne



1. "AARP to Congress: Don’t Make Medicare More Expensive," AARP, July 30, 2009 http://www.aarp.org/aarp/presscenter/pressrelease/articles/rand_medicare_statement.html

2. "Debunked: Health Reform Means Rationed Care For Seniors," AARP, August 4, 2009 http://blog.aarp.org/shaarpsession/2009/08/debunked_health_reform_means_r.html

3. "AARP Responds to Health Reform Scare Tactics," AARP, July 24, 2009 http://www.aarp.org/aarp/presscenter/pressrelease/articles/mccaughey_statement.html

4. "Obama Vows No Cuts To Medicare Benefits," AARP, July 29, 2009 http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/policy/articles/
obama_fields_tough_questions_on_health_care_reforms_at_aarp_tele_town_hall.html

.


20 comments:

  1. Sweet Annie,

    Good informative post as usual. Hope this slows down your inbox some.

    XOXO,
    Snotball

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sweetie

    Now why are people so obsessed with AARP's "take" on it all anyway?

    have a good one!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw where a friend of a friend had even canceled her membership because she didn't take the time to read and/or understand.
    What a silly ninny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, there are people that believe lies because they don't ever take the time to check it out. Instead they are willing to believe their uniformed friends, family, and the members of media that have fun twisting information to get ratings. I couldn't stand the false e-mails flying around during the election, nor the ones now that are full of twisted lies. I wish people would remember "You can't believe everything you see on TV". Because of course that would include anyway someone could send out false information to the masses.

    Sawy Anne...guess I have ranted enough. ((((ANNE))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Anne, you post the facts. It can't get any straighter than that. Unfortunately there will be people, no matter what you say, do or post that will believe what they want to regardless of what is right in from of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well.. Im waiting to actually hear a plan... which btw I have yet to hear. The house has voted on 5 different plans which they have not shared with the public.

    AARP... any news agency or any other agency cant tell you what isnt in it or is in it until the plan has actually been publicized...

    Now talking facts .. until it is made public.. there are no facts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do need some reform.. otherwise those folks who claim that 70% of Americans like their policies.. in a few years.. or sooner those 70% may not like what their plan may morf into.

    I think we need to start with some tort reform and some insurance reform... Im frankly tired of insurance companies making high profits off the backs of the American people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an individual with no-kind-of-health-insurance, nothing they have said so far, fact or otherwise, has been beneficial to me for getting looked at without the charges being so high I would need to sell a body part to pay for it. Anybody need a "little toe??"

    ReplyDelete
  9. the government screws up everything it tries to run... it scares the begeebers out of me to think they might be considering running the health care for Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont like AARP... not just on this issue but on many. Its like a union you pay your dues and then they try to tell you who they want you to vote for because its in the best interest of that union.. I see no difference in AARP they tell their members who they should be voting for in the best interest of AARP not necessairly in the best interest of the people.

    Its all about money... Yep I am quite cynical about organizations that have the "best interests" of the people in mind.

    Frankly these folks make me ill because they want to dictate from the board room how us stupid people are to act, vote, eat, play, work including down to what style of clothes you wear or what you watch on tv.

    I dont need a Nanny and I dont think you do either!

    Sorry... going off on a tangent here... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a member of AARP and I've never recieved anything from them either by snail mail or email telling me how or who I should or should not vote for. I think they do a very good job of keeping people informed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with oka2u. TURN OFF THE TV. Find the facts. MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry... preaching to the choir. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No they dont openly tell people who to vote for.. but they do have lots of influence over many ... and through this influence they do make subtle recommendations.

    I know many who appreciate AARP and frankly I also pay attention to what they say and their recommendations.. but more often than not I find that I disagree with much of the direction they recommend.

    Its still a large corporation where the bottom line is all about the money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I may add that the local hospital here will not see you if you have medicare/chips or medicaid. instead they refer you to the county health department. It is not only the insurance companies that are the problem...

    ReplyDelete

  16. Is that a private hospital?
    Who owns it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wouldnt that work real well if someone came in with appendicitis.. or a snake bite.. I doubt seriously if a local health dept could handle those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hospital is owned by stockholders. My doctor has urged me not to work while pregnant & now I have gestational diabetes. I have not worked since May. Considering the average birth @ said hospital costs around $11,000 (according to the financial lady that sent me to the health dept) I opted for medicad. The hospital & hospitals clinics refused to see me because they're not accepting new patients with medicaid. I was told to go to the health dept (yeah right) or use the emergency room if I thought I had a problem. WHAT? THE E.R.? WTF? Doesn't that cost more? I was tempted to go to the E.R. just to stick it to them, but it would be the tax payers suffering & not the hospital. thereby compounding the problem. Luckily my old Doc took me back. The ironic thing is, is that she'll be delivering my baby at above mentioned hospital & they HAVE to let her because of an agreement. Ha ha! I wonder what will happen when everybody has Medicaid/medicare etc. I guess they'll be stuck with no patients. I know I won't choose to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like the makings of a lawsuit to me... Is there another hospital anywhere near?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Send those emails and e~addresses and links on!

    "There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there.
    If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to FLAG@WHITEHOUSE.GOV

    A bit Orwellian, but it is high time to get rid of the BS.
    XOXO,
    Me

    ReplyDelete