[My] Life in Wisconsin

To All Addicts (Part 2).


"I'm right there in the room, and no one even acknowledges me"

Kind of long, but very important...

Good Morning.
How much further away from what I actually wrote do/can these people go?

Rude. Ignorant.
I was called those names...
Not to mention that yesterdays post (CLICK) even brought out one recovering alcoholic and drug abuser,
on the pancreas site, who took offense. (Was I horning in on his territory with my own assessment of the drug situation at hand)?
He claimed there is a difference between addict and dependent (upon).

There is.
But his definition was all bass~ackwards. (What the heck do they teach these people in AA/NA groups)?
Or do they even teach them (that)?  Not sure...


I do not mean to be flippant. That was neither my point, nor my opinion.
My point was only to (try to) make others aware that denying their children some pain relief from their intractable pain is a terrible thing to do. (And darn close to abuse in my book).

I chose my wording carefully.
The word "addict", referring even to Casey, was/is more than appropriate.

Would your own opinions of my post have changed if you would have known the difference? 
What if your own child had chronic pain?
Or would you be a parent who denies pain relief to your child on the basis of "what if", or "what will the neighbors think?" ?

Dependence:
Function: noun
1 : the quality or state of being dependent upon or unduly subject to the influence of another
2 a : drug addiction    b : HABITUATION 2b
Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

ADDICTION:
compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance characterized by tolerance and by well-defined  physiological symptoms upon withdrawal;
broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful

HABITUATION:

1 : the act or process of making habitual or accustomed
2 a : tolerance to the effects of a drug acquired through continued use,  b : psychological dependence on a drug after a period of use—compare ADDICTION
3 : a form of nonassociative learning characterized by a decrease in responsiveness upon repeated exposure to a stimulus —compare SENSITIZATION 3

____

As you can see, the research within the medical guidelines can/will extend past the words above.

Also of vital importance is this: From http://thesaurus.reference.com
Notes:
"ADDICTION IS MAINLY PHYSICAL WHILE DEPENDENCY IS MOSTLY PSYCHOLOGICAL"

The man in question has since put his tail between his legs (in my opinion) and has stated that he needs to leave the group.
Maybe he does.
(though I would never write that either).Perhaps his needs would better be served on an AODA site, which I am sure are plentiful.
I did say those comments did belong on an AODA site though.


Among other, (nicer) things, I wrote the following:
"sadly, your reply only perpetuates all the fears of the people I was addressing. (It also tells me that you have missed the point of my entire posting).
I was most certainly NOT writing about ANYthing illegal or immoral. Those were 'your' choices 25+ years ago.
The parents, children (and adults) I was writing to/of did NOT have a choice to be part/parcel of a painful disease that needs to be treated."

Note that # 2 definition spells out "DRUG ADDICTION".
That's a fact, Sir.
You can choose to 'pretty it up' or try to make some off~the~wall comparison, but respect the fact that it won't fly with me.

So he opts to leave.  ...Um... er... bu-bye...

Then came woman offended, spouting 'rude' and 'ignorant'  (among various other names)- What I would call my "mother image of all things good" -who thought perhaps I did not laud the other guy enough for being clean/sober.
My own beliefs are that it is not up to me (or anyone) to pat him on the back. It is up to himself to remain clean/sober. (I did not write that either).
Through Roberta's own treatment, she has told me numerous times that I should not censor myself just because she is/always will be recovering. That #1., there is nothing anyone can say/do that will turn her away from clean and sober. That #2., it would be her choice to do so, no matter the circumstances. (That's what she was taught in recovery anyway)...

Anyway, 'XXX' also threw in the idea of Casey, and "pitty parties" (her misspelling, not mine).
She further stated "You do NOT know what it is like to suffer day in and day out".  (I had to giggle at that one). hehehe

She went on and on- Her prerogative. 
(I will only copy you on my own reply as I don't think I can copy hers. If you have any questions let me know).
But she did say she was sorry if her words hurt my feelings.

My reply, thus...

Dear XXX;
Do not worry, xxx, of course you didn't hurt my feelings.
I too am an "everyday" person with everyday values and struggles.
(We are ALL that, and much more).

You stated, "You do NOT know what it is like to suffer day in and day out" end quote...
XXX, I am disabled, and assure you that I can well understand what chronic pain is. But again, this/my story simply does NOT belong on a "pancreatitis" website, (wouldn't you agree)?

Furthermore, I never even broached the possibilities of where that man's disease came from! Quite honestly, that never even crossed my mind until I'd read your note.

Do not attempt to read between my lines. I am quite open and direct.

I believe I tried to make people understand that there are not always "negative" associations with the word 'addict'.
I can plainly see you did not interpret our story that way.

My heart goes out to those children (and adults) who will not receive their pain meds because 'someone else' thought they didn't need them, even as prescribed by their doctors!

As I spoke of my own daughter, now 22, (quoted from my original post), "Is she an addict? Yes she is. And in the most humbled definition of the word too." end quote

My words are neither misinformed, nor ignorant.

Nor was I opting for a "pitty party" approach to anything?
I know that my Casey would not have lasted through all of her own stuff had she been of a mind to entertain the "pity~pot" mentality. She is much much stronger and wiser than to even attempt to do so. It is her same strength and wisdom that have given me this insight to her own pain.

My apologies (to those who will have to do without), if my more direct approach didn't help you to understand that.
As I have just written to the previous poster, "grin and bear it" does not work! (Those words are only for those people who are NOT suffering; for we cannot ever even begin to know another's pain).

Please refer back to the Medical definition of 'dependence'. Note that the # 2 definition spells out "DRUG ADDICTION" in its entirety.
I assure you that I did not write that book.

Again, I have tried only to help those who cannot help themselves out of fear (or ignorance) of another.

I believe that through them all (my postings) I have tried to help another out. My apologies (again) if you did not see it that way.

I will close my note to you here exactly as I had closed my first posting [to those parents it applied to]:
"Worry less about the pills than you worry about the pain. When that pain is gone then, (and ONLY then), are you/your child to worry about getting away from the pain medicines.

Know that there are no two ways around it.
Know too that it doesn't happen overnight.
I can only promise that it WILL happen.

Admit that the elephant is in the sitting room. But leave him quietly alone.
He will leave in his own time.

Peace and health to everyone during this holy season, whatever your own beliefs are.

Believe in yourself.  More importantly, believe in your child."
end quote/note

___

One gal wrote that alot of people just don't like the word "ADDICT"
~To whit, (and touché), "a rose by any other name" would apply.

Maybe this will begin to sink in to peoples psyches, and maybe not.
I really did try to help these people out.

I have this image of my own 'what if' here...
It is the image of my own CaseyAnne, had I ever thought to 'ration' her pills out of fear of what the neighbors would say.

And how, exactly, would I have accomplished that?
Would I take her to the doctor, ask for a diagnosis, and then tell him, "Thanks Doc, I'll take it from here." ?

And now, I have images of many kids, much like my Casey, being rationed.
Know that it is very hard to get those images out of my mind.

Have a day.

XOXO
Anne


PS
If you haven't read Part One, please do so. CLICK


30 comments:

  1. Internet conversations are difficult at best because we cannot see ahd hear the other person to get a better understanding of the message or emotions behind the words. Heaven knows I get misunderstood very often online simply because my words in print often sound harsh without hearing the intent.
    Don't try too hard to justify your use of words... those who take offense will do so no matter how many times you try to clarify

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read the comments on the other blog. So I shall not go there.. but having lived with an addict and having been there myself addictions are a fact of life these days. Sad but true. How many of us are hooked on cigarettes or caffeine or sweets .. yes it is the same. Just stop drinking your caffeinated product and see what your body does.

    I think you are correct that the ones with pancreatitis should worry about the disease first then the addiction second. (pancreatitis, I understand is the worst pain short of heart attacks a person will ever have)

    NO ONE other than a doctor should make a decision about whether a person needs the pain pill or not. And it should be that persons doctor and not another who has never seen this person before.

    Addictions can be defeated.. it takes a strong will and a desire to quit. Just because a person knows they have an addiction and its bad does not mean that person can quit. As parents the job is to lead and to help and to teach. Not to judge.

    Anne and I disagree on many topics.. she is not afraid nor shy. But her passion can not be denied.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can't believe you had such a comment on your post or should I say a couple.
    I totally agree with you about not worrying about what others think and if its needed/ rx then take it.

    (((HUGS))) You did a great job on these post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what is going on. I dont get on this everyday as I suffer everday from chronic Pancreatitis (chronic Pain) No One understands that if you dont expiernce that. In my 31 years I have never done illegal drugs. Infact when I was addmitted to hospital for 4mths straight they gave me a merinol pill to help with nausea. I was scared to death of it because of its name. As well as they put me on oxycontin and dilaudid again scared to death of it because of its name. However I go to pain management every month and have for the past year. I have been on prescribed pain medicine for the past 2 years. Is this an addiction? I asked my pain management this several months ago his words were Its a dependency that is we are all dependant on something whether it be cigerettes or caffine. He said Addiction is a criminal offense. Well I also take in to consideration that this is his job. He makes his money from prescribing pain meds. I do have a addiction or dependency what ever you want to call it. I have been on it for 2 years straight everyday. Yes the pain is horrible however my body goes crazy if I go with out it. Should I go to rehab?? I have asked that as well. I have no Dr.s supporting that. Because they are affraid that I willl need pain meds and not be aable to get it. I am suffering everday from pain and vomitting due to my pancreas. However I am suffering everyday to a dependency or addiction to pain meds as well. I am trying to go cold turkey off of my meds and have been for 2 weeks now. It is one of the hardest things I will or I have been through. I understand and sympathize with anyone that is on meds due to their health and only they know in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne...anyone ready to "nit-pick" over someone else's pain level, just has not reached that point of pain themselves.

    I assure you....once they have....they will talk a whole different story about their own pain.

    Not till one "walks a mile in your shoes" will they understand what another feels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you hit the nail on the head with that elephant more than once,

    One. People do not like the word addict.

    two. rationing/withholding drugs for no reason other than "what people think" is abuse.

    three. we are not doctors and should not be thinking we know better than our doctors. Use common sense, if you dont feel you need the med, discuss with doctor....

    ReplyDelete
  7. An awful thing that is I might add.
    However, speech patterns be damned, I write what I mean, or add the 'hehehe'.

    I won't be wasting my time thumping their heads... I know some just cannot get past that word.
    Their babies are suffering, and that's OK?
    It makes me ill to even think about them all.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Answer to question 1... NO

    If Kaylee had chronic pain, she would have her pain meds as often as she needed them... What the neighbors or anyone else thought be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sad the ignorance of some people based upon one little word...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mommy, my rock to lean on!

    I agree! So many people in the comments section have already took the words out of my mouth. I think that it is the negative stigma that goes along with the word addiction. Most people think of junkies on the street spending every last penny to put a needle in their arm. However, like you stated (even though those people didn't read it), that negativity is not always implied with the word.

    I know I am addicted. All I have to do is hold off on one dose and I'm already going through withdrawl symptoms. Although I had no issues with getting off of the vicodin and morphine the first time around, the dilauded and fentanyl were absolutely terrible to get off of. I refused to go back on the fentanyl patch knowing how hard it was to get off of. The dilauded issue was going from IV to pill form and the hospital scaled me down too fast, but got it right the second try. Getting off of the dilauded pills then only took a couple days. The difference between me and the illegal drug addict in the alley is that I take my pills so that I can function and live a life with only moderate pain and not severe pain. They started taking drugs for "fun" or out of boredom or for other recreational purposes. That is the difference in the word "addiction" that people can't distinguish.

    Still, I am worried about getting off the morphine this time around as I've been taking it for a longer period of time. But you are right and I worry less about the pills than the diseases. I guess there are still people on that site that would rather dance around this issue than confront it head on. Cover up the elephant, and he's not really there then, right?? Wrong... One day this issue will be big enough that they'll suffocate from it if they don't solve the problem... We can only pray that these parents follow your guidance and worry about curing the disease and setting that as their top priority.

    Right now the pain is bad enough to keep me up, but I'm starting to not be able to concentrate so I hope this comment makes sense!

    I love you so much, and I don't think I could make it through all of this crap if it wasn't for the support I receive from you!!!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard about that pancreatic pain too.
    One of Casey's nurses also had pancreatitis. When I asked, she had also had children- Said she would give birth 20 times than go through even one hour of pancreatitis.

    And you are right about everybody being addicted to something or another.
    I have my smokes and my keyboard. (I would also say Cherry Pepsi, but Woodmans discontinued it). I also take 4xdaily meds for my back. Narcotics at that, and a 'contin' rx, as Kadian once per day.
    I am that same addict.
    And I learned well, not too long ago not to save pride on those.

    Why would they even bring their kids in? Save for a diagnosis? Then go buy the rx's? Only to deny them? That is cruel. I have seen what Casey still goes through- And like I say, it is sickening to even think of those other kids.

    Yes, we do disagree on topics.
    But that's OK. You are my friend, and that's all that matters.
    And yes, I can be a dog with a bone too. hehehe

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  12. Sweet Brat!
    Thank you for the compliment- I did learn that either people agreed, or they disagreed something fierce. There was no middle line-
    Of course there are no shades of gray when it comes to (my) any child in pain either
    Who the heck cares what anyone thinks anyway???

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweetie;
    My only point was that people are NOT taking their meds. DO NOT WORRY about taking them. Worry about NOT taking them.
    No one should have to suffer in this day and age. And I truly hope you are not making yourself suffer by not taking your own medicines.

    To a pain management doctor I guess addiction would be a criminal offense. (That made me giggle).

    You do not have to go to rehab! You are not misusing your Rx prescriptions. You are like myself and Casey- We take our meds as needed, and we go to see "Dr. Pain" every month also.

    We ALL need to change how we think of painkillers, and damn the "streets" that made these a bad thing.
    As I said in my previous post, painkillers are very very necessary for people with Chronic Pain. There are no two ways around that.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  14. Sweet PeachieBaby;
    You are so correct with your analysis of someone elses pain. And between you and I (and the rest of the world), I do see more fathers that are willing to deny their children these meds.
    Are mothers more able to walk that proverbial mile?
    just wondering....

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete


  15. And then the power went out... Back again. (Lucky you all).

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was in the middle of your reply Sweet Pea-
    (The loss of power seems to have derailed my train of thought).

    People can like the word or not-
    Either way they have to respect the fact that "addict" must be lived with/through. And that, in and of itself, it must be respected.

    Agreeing wholeheartedly on the 'abuse'.

    As far as the meds go, it is so easy to call a doctor or even your pharmacist. Why don't people do this?

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Sweet SlurkieBaby for stating you will not allow Miss Kaylee to suffer. I think seeing what Randall lived through earlier this year has also given you a bit of perspective on that. I am sorry he went through it, but as an example to you it couldn't have been better.

    And I should add that when the question of anybody elses business arises, it usually isn't.
    The best reply to those who nose is "Why do you want to know?"
    Shits 'em right up.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  18. We just all have to remember that many words can be taken with/without context.
    Yes it is hard to write on the net. Yet, when people take the time to explain their words on an 8 year old level and still get grief about them, then someone obviously is just being st00pid.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet Baby Girl;
    I am happy to know that you have read my words how I wrote them. I know sometimes I don't "get it" as people write. But then I generally just ask. (But when people say st00pid sh*t I do have a tendency to let them know that too). hehehe

    I have a bloody headache now... Hope my comments back make sense.
    Yours always do, to me. But I have known you for 23 and a half years now.

    As far as the morphine goes, I truly believe that after your next 2 surgeries that you will not even have the morphine in the hospital. You will be recovering from those surgeries, and will probably only need a Vicoden or two after that.
    You have been through so much worse, so these will be a breeze.
    So.... Not to worry.
    And know if you must run down the halls of the hotel at 3 in the morning I will be there with you. (and my cane). hehehe

    Forevermorelonger.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just know that some people do not recognize their own addictions.....arrogant, opinionated, overbearing, ignorant, ill mannered, stupidity, need I go on? Everyone is an expert these day and seem to think that others want to hear from them. Don't they know that opinions are like butt holes....everyone has one but no one wants to hear from it. So what, our Girls are legally addicted, they are also, strong, brave, kind, loving, sweet and ALIVE...so to those of you who know everything...FU...oh how naughty of me...Merry Christmas to the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can remember that when we first started this trip down Pancreas lane I worried about the strong Drugs....However, I have since discovered the beauty of narcotics for horrendous pain sufferers. We thank God every night for these life saving "Pills". We experienced the same thing this morning. Melanie went by Ambulance to the ER, the Dr. wanted to do a complete physical, pap, etc the whole thing. With a J tube in her abdomen a pic line hanging out of her arm, they think she needs a pap test, oh my GOSH!!!!! What she needed was a shot and IV liquids. Needless to say she left and is suffering until tomorrow when her Dr. will be back in his office, then she can wait for him to return her call, which is at his connivance...man what a sorry field the Medical peeps have become. Anyway it continues and continues...feel better ladies.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet Beth!
    Prayers ALWAYS for Miss Melanie-

    But what a crock of crap! What's with the PAP test anyway?
    (What's with their - doctors- credentials)???

    I am happy though that you read these entries as intended. The pills are not only miraculously magic for those that need them, they are a necessity and a fact of life.

    Those damn doctors would have done the IV hydration AND the pain meds before I would have ever taken Casey home. (I am also very proud to say that Greg has also availed himself of the many many internet resources and is more than capable of telling the damn doctors their jobs, and protocols, if need be).

    And I'll be damned if my intelligence, and education along these lines, will EVER take a backseat to a doctors pride!

    Can't tell you how many times Casey has had her IV placed by her own doctor at the clinic too. And how many times those few steps have thwarted worse.

    XOXO
    Me

    PS
    I know this is off topic. Miss Melanie has been through such a rough time with her pancreatitis and her recovery.
    Would everyone that reads this please go to Beths site and wish her well..
    It only takes a minute of your time, and as a mother, those few words mean the difference between going mad or remaining sane in the face of this unforgiving disease.

    http://markbif.multiply.com/

    Love to all.

    XOXO
    Me again

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't believe anyone should have to suffer and that is why pain medication is available .. Sure people abuse medications for a high or whatever but when in pain , I would take anything to get rid of it because I don't like to hurt as I am sure NO ONE does...

    Why is there such a big issue about all this??? I am diabetic , I have to take medication everyday , its not addictive but if I didn't take it I would suffer for not taking it ..

    Anyone who goes on and says people shouldn't be taking things to help them cope with a painful illness , well in my opinion they are wrong and probably have not suffered the pain of an illness ...

    I have a friend who has very severe arthritis and she is on pain meds and even taking these meds my heart goes out to her , to see the pain she suffers ..There are days she cannot even get out of bed to go to the bathroom without help .. I would never want to see her NOT take her pain medications or OH how she would suffer ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. And yet, people (as parents, or some other person of influence) CONTINUE to deny their children/others these meds.
    wtf?!?

    They need just one day in their childs shoes... Just one. (I have a suspicion that most wouldn't even last those first few hours).

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree completely Annie .. I would NEVER watch my child suffer , I would do whatever it takes to make her pain go away ... I went through a rough time with my daughter a few years ago .. She was all the time having pain and I was taking her to doctors , emergency rooms , etc with no answers to what was wrong with her .. This went on for over 2 years and I was ready to pull my hair out .. They would do test and she was on medication for acid reflux , meds for a bad back but still she would have these attacks .. She suffered from water infections all the time and I was at my wits end , watching her suffer and feeling so helpless .. One day she took with an attack and I brought her to the hospital in my area and the doc finally sent her to a larger hospital .. When we got there she seen the doc right away and as soon as he saw her and knew the pain she was in , he admitted her ..They did test and finally discovered it was her gallbladder ( uncommon because she was so young) and her body was full of infection .. Her levels for her pancreas was out of whack plus infection throughout her body .. She was put on certain meds immediately and the surgeon told me that my child was lucky she didn't die .. A very very scary time for all of us .. She was in the hospital for 11 days before they could even do the surgery because she had been so ill but finally they were able to take her gallbladder out .. She was in the hospital for two weeks but after she got home , after a few days I had my little girl back and all the pain and suffering she had gone through for that period of time ( over 2 years) was finally gone ..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh Ooh Ooh...
    I had my gallbladder out when I was 26, just 2 months before Daddy died.

    When I was diagnosed, the doctor actually scratched his chin, and said, "I wonder?..."
    As I sat there on the table in my very chic paper gown, I didn't dare jump in and ask what he was thinking.
    Gathering my wits, (Oh yes, I could)! hehehe

    He told me then that the "guidelines" for gallbladder problems was
    ** Female.
    ** Fat.
    ** Fair haired.
    ** And forty.

    I was female.

    He sent me for an ultrasound anyway. They found something and my doctor referred me to a surgeon.

    My surgeon told me after I woke that mine was the worst diseased he had ever seen, they used a vegetable peeler to scrape its remnants off my liver. He had been removing gallbladders for 20 years at that time...

    "Gallbladder Disease" is passed ONLY from mother to daughter. Never to sons.

    It closed the book on why I was hospitalized every three years of my young life, beginning when I was 3.

    XOXO
    me

    So much for guidelines...

    ReplyDelete