[My] Life in Wisconsin

Holiday Eating Tips...





 
1.  Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday  spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately.
Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.


2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up!
Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something.
It's a treat.. Enjoy it.
Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think.


3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on.
Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.


4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother?
It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.


5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a  Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food, and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like thickly frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention.
They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same goes for pies.
Apple
, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three.
When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor
 Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention.
Re-read tips; start over.
But hurry, January is just around the corner.

XOXO
Me,
 - Special thanks to my Auntie!


14 comments:

  1. #3...excellent idea.

    #4...whole milk, real butter and sour cream.

    #8...haven't had mincemeat pie since my paternal grandmother died...and I miss it.

    #9...then you've never had a Hawaiian fruitcake...OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thought we were in Heaven when Spam first arrived in 1944. lol
    Not for sale, but available in selected eating places.
    A truck Driver was given a joint of Pork from an American Air Base.
    I was allowed to look at it. lol
    Send you a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good tips Sweet Annie. I will endeavor to follow all of them except for #9. I love a good fruitcake. I make pumpkin bread and then add the nuts and fruitcake fruit to it. MMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

    oxox,
    snotball

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent advice ! I hadn't thought of the in 3s concept and I guess for many things as long as you are true to it it works . 3 , 3 more , 3 more and so on all adds up to 3 !
    hugggs

    ReplyDelete
  5. words to live by.......lmao loved it sweet Annie
    xoxoxoxoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very amusing!

    #4. CREAM in my mashed potatoes with loads of butter, if you please. NO potato flakes! Real potatoes someone has to slave over to make creamy. Roast garlic in them as they're mashed is great.

    #8. No PECAN? I'd have three slices.

    #9. Where did fruitcake get such an awful reputation? Because most people make it so it's too heavy to lift. I don't like candied fruit anyway, but make one heck of a bourbon cake starting in October, wrapped in cheesecloth & given doses of bourbon....

    This was fun, Annie, thanks to your auntie & to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. give me all your fruitcake.

    you can have my eggnog... I love it but am so allergic it is no longer worth the thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Anna no way,
    I have been and will continue to be a good person this year as it takes 355 days to get all the eating weight off from the Xmas prior :-)
    Good tips though

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far I've lost 7lbs..and I'm trying to be good..as I really need to get this weight off me. Not eating that first week except to keep from getting a headache is where the weight loss came from.
    I've only made sausage and cheese balls...as there is no one here to help eat if I make alot of goodies. I would hate for things to go to waste...no one here any longer to take care of the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never overeat, but I wouldn't mind a doggie bag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cream AND Philedelphia cheese in my mashed potato! If you're going to be naughty, be very, very naughty!

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. No doggy bag? Isn't there a tip for giving doggy bags to people who don't eat much? (And besides, can't even cook.) (And sometimes can't spell.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mommy!

    LOVE the tips!!! My favorite is the gravy one! What's the use of gravy if you don't lather it on everything?? Hee hee hee....

    Wanted to stop online quick before we head out... I know it's been a while since I've been on... (BAD KC!!!)

    I also wanted to thank you for the most excellent Christmas Day!! The food was phenomenal, and I was surrounded by the two people who I love most! (And who must love me as they spent the special day with me! :D )

    I hope you're enjoying those presents!! The Sock Monkey you gave me now has a special place on our mantle!! I can't believe I've finally got one after looking for them all over! (I did find one when we were on a band trip years ago, but it was about $40 and I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a Sock Monkey....)

    Okay, must get dressed and ready for the last of the Christmas events... Monday is going to be a nap day! It was great that we got to nap on Christmas! I felt better after napping... With waking up early that morning, then of course being too excited about opening presents to get right back to sleep!

    I'll give you a call when we leave here... Happy Boxing Day!

    Love you MUCH MUCH!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this - except the fruitcake one. I love fruitcake!

    ReplyDelete