[My] Life in Wisconsin

Wisconsin- From a Teachers Perpective..



To add to my previous article -
This is copied from
a Forbes article (with reference to the author in my blog). as the same message as above, from within the comments section.

As the author of the referred article replies to every comment, this teacher was given high praise from him after stating the following...



______________________________________


I would like to dispute the claims that people don’t view state workers’ pensions as “gifts.”

I am a teacher in Wisconsin and by my own father, my high-school friends, and other people I have held dear to me I have been called the following told that am sucking at the private teat, getting unfair gifts on the back of the tax payers, a greedy pig wanting more special treatment and many more hurtful words.

Just today, DAYS after the unions conceded to the Gov’s economic demands, I saw a very inflammatory anti-union ad on TV claiming that the “public workers have special treatment gifted with benefits and pensions far better than the private sector.”

Fine you can say I’m overpaid, but there are a lot of poor people in Wisconsin right now and it is not fair for the Republicans and anti-unionists to use this rhetoric to split the middle class in half to get their big business agenda.

“Give me liberty or give me death–or at least make sure my neighbor can’t have it either…”

collapse expand

________________________________

*people I have held dear to me have called me
(I agree I want an edit function…I just get so emotion{al} when I recall those words I’ve been called…)

In response to another comment. See in context »

______________________________________


Ms Mary Matteson is a teacher-
And I believe one I would have loved for my children to have had.

By now, we all must know that this whole thing applies not only to our teachers-
Why is it that they are (seemingly) the only ones being singled out?

I have never met a rich teacher have you?  (On the other hand I know plenty of semi-rich babysitters)...
Hmmm? Somebody obviously has the wrong title.

My heart and soul goes out to ALL teachers- I only wish there could be more like Ms Matteson!

May all of our union brothers and sisters stick together until they win!

XOXO,
Me



8 comments:

  1. And these lines- from a future teacher:
    "As an English major, I very much would like to some day teach at my former high school. But with Scott Walker’s plans set in motion, if I end up getting teacher’s certification, I don’t know if I’ll even stay in the state. And at this point, I don’t know if I’ll be able to graduate from college. It’s already expensive, and I can’t afford much more. Nothing has ever scared me more, because nothing has ever felt as real to me as this does. My dad works for UW-Madison, and I don’t see even my family staying in state. Who knows how many other families there are like this."

    From "Scott Walker is a (Criminal?) Doofus"
    http://www.fbesp.org/synapse/?p=102

    ReplyDelete
  2. And these lines- from a future teacher:
    "As an English major, I very much would like to some day teach at my former high school. But with Scott Walker’s plans set in motion, if I end up getting teacher’s certification, I don’t know if I’ll even stay in the state. And at this point, I don’t know if I’ll be able to graduate from college. It’s already expensive, and I can’t afford much more. Nothing has ever scared me more, because nothing has ever felt as real to me as this does. My dad works for UW-Madison, and I don’t see even my family staying in state. Who knows how many other families there are like this."

    From "Scott Walker is a (Criminal?) Doofus"
    http://www.fbesp.org/synapse/?p=102

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like her quote here. I also know this sentiment is real because it was expressed to me by someone in a group. It went something like this:

    "And money isn't everything. Government workers have a sense of security that we private sector workers can only dream about!"

    Ironically that same sentiment is echoed throughout the right wing after all the rhetoric about class envy pertaining to tax cuts for the wealthy.

    What a bunch of hypocrites they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Miss Lorie!

    "Hypocrites" is definitely the right word...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Their three-mile prayers, and half-mile graces"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said that right!
    They cut off their noses to spite their faces.

    Hey! We made a rhyme.

    Their three-mile prayers, and half-mile graces,
    They cut off their noses to spite their faces.

    LOL Have a good day Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe
    It's an old quote from Robert Burns To the Rev. John M'Math-

    But I don't think they'd mind...

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete