[My] Life in Wisconsin

Good Grrrrrief!

 

magnify

Casey's bed tag...
"Endoscopic UltraSound"

Not sure what the final "E" was for...
Maybe to tag her as an 'experiment'?



.
.
Rochester Welcomes You by you.
A misnomer, this sign...
.
.

Good Morning Everyone!
We are home from Mayo once again.
Sadly, no wiser than we left.

And I have been battling a migraine since our return.
Not fun at all.

****IMPORTANT:
If any of you received text messages from CaseyFace on Friday, please know that she was more than 'under the influence' after her procedure.
(Mad as hell, and very much
misunderstanding what the doctor had told her)...

We left on Thursday...
... and during another new attack for her...
Knowing Mayo would do her blood work and let us know what was going on with her amylase and lipase counts.
She has not had any pain pills in a few weeks now, and has put herself through hell with that too.
.
.
Casey and Punk by you.
.
.
She slept for the most part after we finally found a hotel ~as did Punk.
(I say 'finally' ~because the fair was "happening" in Rochester, and there were no rooms anywhere).

Oh wait, yes there were... AND, we even had a choice!

Either we paid an ungodly amount to leave Punk in the car, or at another place, to sleep in one bed.
(A twin bed at that)!
hehehe
That's not going to work...

So on the phone with Casey's wonderful man. Greg googled everything for us, and found us a room at Stewartville. (Just a hop, skip and a jump down the road from Rochester).
I'd much rather be out of town anyway, so this was definitely not a problem.
I called there.
The people (Eastern Indian) were extremely difficult to understand on the phone.
But upon our arrival, were the most decent people I have ever dealt with in any hotel.

After getting settled in, (in our pristine and perfect room), we ordered from one of the town menus.
One pizza place offered Homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
Casey cannot eat pizza since her pancreas has gone haywire; so we both ordered a serving of their pie.
Casey was even bold enough to add some BBQ wings to go along with hers.
To say that these pies rivaled my own would be true. hehehe
OMG, but they were SO good!!!
Casey also had remarked that her wings were also the best she has ever ordered anywhere.
(She'd eaten about 4 bites of her pie before her pancreas violently objected to it, ~ so she was 'stuck' eating those wings)...

Punk simply drooled...
.
.
Punk, waiting to leave by you.
.
.

They both slept until I woke them at 10:30AM. We had to be out of the room by 11; which worked out perfectly to get to Mayo for Casey's appointment at noon.
.
.
Placing her IV by you.
.
.

Something funny? by you.
.
.
The nurses were quite kind...
Mayo had a visiting doctor,
(Clain), from USC who specializes in gastrointestinal stuff; a leading doctor on the pancreas.
He was also quite rude, not allowing Casey to say a word. When she did ask a question, he replied that she did not want to be telling him how to do his job.
WHAT?!?
All she did was ask a question of him!!!

So let's just get this over and done with.
First to sign a paper that authorized them to to 'use' her as a study patient.
.
.
Casey- Signed Consent by you.
.
.

They had found her interesting enough to place her within this group.
blah blah blah.
For Pete's sakes, who the heck cares about all of this?
Just please fix her already???
.
.
Almost ready for surgery by you.
.
.
Whenever one gets poked in the pancreas, it sets off an attack. This has always been her reaction to her EUS procedures, or the ERCP's she has had.
Any probing really p*sses off her pancreas.
Friday was no different.
She returned to the recovery room in pain.
They gave her Demerol, (25 mgs.), which did not even touch her pain.
Then finally gave her a hypo of Dilaudid.
That worked, and we would be able to keep our appointment for her results across the street for 4:30.

We used the skywalk...
.
.
Casey by you.
.
.

At this appointment, her doctor, (Kisiel), tried to explain to her the possible scenario of nerve damage from Froedtert's surgeries; and the possible inability they would have to control her pain. At some point, the dilaudid really kicked in... and she got everything a little mixed up.
Reflect back to my note about her text msgs... At no point did he say she was an addict. Good grief, she has gone many months at times with no relief at all.
This is a very touchy subject for us both, especially given what July had thrown our way.

Back to Dr. Kisiel.
Her EUS was unremarkable. No calcium deposits etc. (I know too, that the good Dr Clain had made up his mind about her pancreas even before he went in and looked around).
One gets to 'peg' these certain personalities after these many years of watching, ~listening to the nurses and doctors; seeing/reading their body language (that may/may not betray their words).

And so, like I said before, we know nothing more than what we did before we left home.

She is still in pain, with no good explanations, or help, or relief offered to her.
I for one, would LOVE to be a fly on the wall if her doctor here would ever be in the same room with this Dr. Clain. After all his work with her here, and to have his lab results simply dismissed by Mayo.
They also threw out her bloodwork from the hospitals here because it wasn't on their scale.

We drove home that night.
I didn't mean to, as I had been up since 4 AM.
But again, there were no rooms within a couple hundred mile radius of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, because of the EAA Convention. (CLICK for info).

I was dog tired, and my head was just starting to act up. I dropped Casey off at her place. Punk and I came home to a hot stuffy house.

We will know more once she speaks with her doctor here, and has him all filled in. I promise to keep you all informed.

For now, it will be back to my quiet dark bedroom... Maybe a nap?

I hope you are all having a grand weekend!

XOXO
Anne

Originally posted to my Y!360, Sunday August 3, 2008 - 09:22am (CDT)

49 comments:

  1. Now I can comment beings 360 is once again being an ass this morning and wouldn't let me in to comment.

    I was sure hoping you'd get some news about what's going on. That doctor had no right to be so rude. Casey probably knows more about what's going on with her body than he does. Doctors should stop and listen to their patients and not be rude. That was just plain wrong and rude on his part.

    Get some rest. You've all had a long couple of days. We'll be here when you are back to your ol' selves again....is that possible????? LOL!!

    Take care my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Pam,
    You are right in your thought that Casey sure as heck knows more about what is going on.
    One doctor even told her that they were "all in the business of contradicting other doctors anyway!"
    Go figure

    And thank you for your kind words too
    I shall try to nap a bit...
    A long warmish shower sometimes helps my head too.
    Maybe that first.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Clain sounds like a real piece of work.....oh sheesh!
    If it is nerve damage you would think there WOULD BE something they could do.

    Im at a loss.....I hope someone somewhere who knows something and has an inkling of respect would please step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am at a loss. Have you tried a local witch...they have to be better than those damned doctors at the "special" hospital !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I just had a thought. Hope no one thinks I'm stupid or anything but can they transplant pancreases? They can transplant just about every other internal organ, why not a pancreas? Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet BethieBaby!
    You are right. He is a piece of something.

    As far as the nerve damage goes, (if it IS that), then why on earth do her amylase and lipase counts go up???
    No?
    Makes no sense to me either.

    Find me that person you speak of.
    Please.

    XOXO
    Me



    ReplyDelete
  7. Which witch Sweetie~Bug?
    (She would already be healed)...

    "Special"
    ?
    Exactly how?


    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes they can do a transplant.
    But, (and it's HUGE but for Casey), you cannot have any children if you are taking anti~rejection pills.
    Nor can one forego those pills for 9 months.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that. Wish a transplant was an option for her but I understand that she would want kids. It was just a thought. Please give her my love and let her know that she is in my thoughts and prayers as are her family including you my dear friend....now go get some rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At some point in her life, that transplant may be necessary.
    That is why I have asked y'all a million times to SIGN THE BACK OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSES!
    You can't take it with you ya know.
    And even though I would not necessarily be a donor for her, I am sure that there are others that even my pathetic body might help, somewhere.

    Thank God it is not necessary now though.
    She has good blood sugar counts. And with taking the panacase (sp) digestive enzymes, it helps her to at least eat many things.

    At one point she had gone down to less than 90 pounds...
    Nerve damage does not do that to a body...

    I am venting today.
    My apologies.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vent away my friend!!!

    Just so ya know....I am an organ donor and always sign the back of my driver's license plus here they give ya little bright orange stickers to put on them as well. I'm a firm believer in being an organ donor.

    ReplyDelete

  12. You are a sassy Bug...

    I have no problem that this Dr. Clain is highly intelligent and capable.
    I just wish the entire effing medical profession did not put her in this category of...
    Therein lies the problem. I cannot figure out exactly what category they put her in, but it is a judgmental one and it does no good for her or them.

    Yes, this is highly bizarre and extremely rare for a 21 year old.
    And just because they have never seen it does NOT mean she should be dismissed!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  13. Gods blessings to you, and onto ALL of my friends that have made this extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Almost forgot---I've also made it know to ALL my kids that I want any and all organs donated upon my passing, too. After all they will be the ones taking care of things when I'm gone, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yuppers!

    I made copies of my signed, dated and witnessed living will and advance directives.
    I sent one to each of my daughters and to my personal power of attorney as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to sound stupid but how do I go about doing that? The living will type stuff. Here I am 50 years old and I don't have either a living will or a will at all. That's something I think I should be seriously investigating, shouldn't I? Any info would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I can say about the medical treatment she's received thus far from the so-called doctors at Mayo is: DAMN!

    Hugs to the nurses for being kind.

    Find a medicine man or witch doctor...they would do a better job.

    p.s. I'm a organ donor...besides it's mandatory in this state.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually asked my doctor for all of the papers.

    Now as for the personal will, just call an attorney. It should NOT cost you more than $100.00 (plus filing fees) to do this all.
    You do all the legwork etc. They will cut you deals that way!


    You can always look in the 'services' section of your newspaper too.
    There are always ads for making your will.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is actually the first thing that they have said that MAKES sense. That is what I want doctors to do! Ignore what went before and make up their own dang mind.

    But hey should still listen to the patient, who knows their body better? The one time actual progress was made in the fact that they at LEAST proved something was wrong with me was when the doctor told me, I don't seeit but if you tell me so, I trust you and will run this test.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Because the nerve triggers the brain to think something is going on?

    Just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How can it be mandated in your state?
    What of the religions that do not 'believe' in this?
    Jewish is one, although their canons are changing too.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think she meant the "signing of yea or nay" was mandatory not the yea....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet Pea-

    They only see her as a child!
    They do not see the wonderful young woman beneath the pancreas at all. Ever.
    Even one lady, looking directly at me and dismissing Casey entirely asked, "Can she talk about this all by herself?"

    DUH?

    I just turned the floor over to Casey then.

    Wish they would trust HER like they do you.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pea,
    When Casey asked Kisiel about that he said there is NO WAY that the nerve would impact or be able to influence her amylase and lipase counts.

    That's where HE is stuck now...
    sigh

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think her size misleads them into thinking she is a child.

    95% of my doctors dismiss me too. I am fortunate that my GP does not and ONE doctor at Doheny did not.

    I have been told all manner of things including I need to have children and get over myself, I am imagining the vision loss, and I am fat and need to lose weight (duh but not related)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hehehe Pea...
    (And they say size doesn't matter)!!!

    But you are right too.
    If they would just listen to her talk for 2 minutes they would KNOW how articulate and bright she is.
    But I suppose they don't have the time, OR maybe if they had to actually listen, they would not come up with so many harebrained things.
    And they might then be forced to actually DO something for her.

    Imagine the possibilities then.

    XOXO
    Me

    You are NOT fat!!!
    'Course these days they would tell Marilyn Monroe she was fat too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I swear, some of the smartest people in medicine and they can't even talk to Casey like a human being??! Are they still investigating this, or are they going to drop it? And why can't they spend MORE TIME with her at the hospital? Why do you have to go home after every test???

    I think that's enough for today... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Evenin Bart,

    Well.. at least they are looking and doing tests... This is a good thing right?

    But my thoughts are always, listen to the person.. ya know they are living it.. Heaven forbid they may give an insight to whats going on. hmmmmm Ya know my first thoughts when you said he told her not to second guess him..
    I'm wondering how he relates to wife or kids... ya know a question is not a criticism.. and if he thinks that way.. his poor wife.. geez.. Sure am glad JT is not like that.. cause I'm always asking him why hes doing something the way hes doing it.

    wonderful pictures.. not quite as good as the "dink" but pretty good anyways..hehe

    Glad you found a place to lay your weary head and bod.. I'm sure it was a saving grace to be a little away from all the activity. So how far is it from the house to the clinic? Or Rochester?


    Sorry the head is being nasty.. Hope its decided to settle down for awhile.

    Hugs

    beepluvsbart.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry to hear that trip wasn't immediately successful,though keep in mind that that doesn't mean it wasn't a step in the right direction. Keep fighting the good fight my dear friend.
    Peace - Khoolaid

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anne.. you all will be in my prayers.. I know I live with pain in my right side which I am so tired of the test and the Dr. looking at me like it's not really there.. I'm not really up to date on everything Casey is dealing with.. but I know what an awful feeling it is to be in pain and not be able to have it validated. I hope she doesn't suffer the pain w/o help.. I am a recovered Alcoholic.. (yes I believe we can recover fully with God's care) and it took me a long time of suffering through pain in fear of addiction before I admitted the pain was too much!
    Hugs to you both and many blessings..
    I am a donor too.. I remember when my daughter died from cancer and they said they didn't take donors with cancer? I believe very much our bodies are just a temporary house. Much love out to you and your family, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  31. You deserve a good rest...Casey as well.
    Hope the doctors and others involved in Casey's case will finally
    find the answers to her pains...Prayers go your way as always.
    God Bless! Hugssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok..so they're blaming the pain on nerve damage???..That makes no sense..and these idiot doc's you are having to deal with need the 3rd degree to say the least..furthermore..the jerks should realize how far you're traveling and the trouble you're going through and do something!!!

    And you have yet another effin migraine..maybe some of that is coming from your back problem and certainly stress!!!

    I'm glad you are home..rest up young lady..you need that so bad!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sweet Lisa,
    Your dogs called.
    They want to have at Dr. Clain.
    (I told them to go for it too).

    You have asked some real good questions.
    I apologize Sweetie, but I have no real answers for you.
    (So next time, you will have to take her there).
    Pretty please?

    Unless it's cancer (which she was told by Dr. Chari at Mayo this would turn into), or something else they can actually see, then it MUST not exist???

    Oy... If I thought she was treated badly at the hospitals here, I was wrong...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete


  34. Big Bad STORM now.
    Will be back soon...

    ReplyDelete
  35. sleep, sleep, sleep~and then keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just don't know what to say. My heart is so full of empathy for you and Casey. All I can think of to suggest is to keep trying different doctors. There's got to be an answer to all this, and there's a doctor out there somewhere who will find the answer. Keep trying... after you get some much needed rest. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  37. We need to make Casey a series of "Handle with Care" stickers to post on herself next time....

    ReplyDelete
  38. hehehe Beep!
    And I am chuckling at the 'dink' remark!

    Sad about his wife and kids... No ring but he was doing surgeries, so I don't know if he has a family. I would understand if he didn't.

    I have googled the guy- He said he was from USC. Not true- I cannot even find a board certification for any Jonathin Clain. Just his Mayo practice.
    Maybe someone here knows how to find out more info...

    Although he did attend a conference at Mayo:
    http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc2500-mc2599/mc2589-10.pdf
    With a disclaimer on page three I might add...

    It does say he went to school at "Federal Medical Center" Though I have no idea where that is.

    ---
    Never mind, I just found more here
    http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc2500-mc2599/mc2589-10.pdf
    ---
    And more at The Federal Bureau of Prisons
    http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/rch/index.jsp
    ---
    Claims that he wrote, cowrote about 80 papers.
    Not too surprisingly there were NONE on "BEDSIDE MANNERS" or "RESPECT" either.

    So now I know nothing that I wanted to know in the 1st place.
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    bartluvsbeep.com

    ~

    ReplyDelete

  39. Mr. Khool;
    Since she has been ill for almost 3 years now, nothing will ever be immediate.
    Damn shame for such a smart young promising kid too.

    No worries, I promise to keep fighting...
    (And I do have a mean right).

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you Sweet Sheila!
    And I am so happy you came by and commented too!

    Casey has Chronic Pancreatitis. A condition where, with each bout, her pancreas is slowly digesting itself.
    It is basically unheard of in a 19 year old, (that is when she was diagnosed).

    I am so sorry to hear of your own daughters passing.
    Sorrier still that they won't transplant less than perfection.
    I believe wholeheartedly that if I needed a transplant, and one came available from a cancer patient I would choose that organ instead of death.
    How ludicrous to believe that others would not!!


    YAY for you to be a recovered alcoholic!
    I have one daughter (Roberta) who lives by the damned stuff- drugs too, and who has just given birth (July 4th); testing positive for illegal drugs before they did the C-Section.
    Baby Sam was 7 weeks early...
    He is being taken care of and loved by his daddy, and daddys wonderful wife, Marie.

    You are right about our bodies only being temporary too.
    Our spirits and souls keep going onward though.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sweet Leticia!
    I am still in search of that good sleep!
    Though these naps are doing a good job to calm the head too, so I really shouldn't complain.

    We are still hoping!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  42. Sweet WyckieBaby!
    I am so ignorant, I actually thought that the nerve pain expanation was acceptable.
    See what I know???
    Glad you are a nurse-
    Sad that you are not Caseys nurse.

    There is NO patient respect.
    Or at least not enough for me to be thankful for...

    The migraines come about 3 times a week. But I have only complained here on this blog because I could.
    hehehe
    Some things NEVER change.
    ;-)

    Actually, the pills mostly do their job quite well. But I could not take them and finish driving home that night.
    Nor could Casey finish the drive, as she had been anesthetized and given dilaudid that day...

    XOXO
    Me


    ReplyDelete

  43. Sweet Thers,
    Casey is at her appointment as I type.
    She has had three/four godawful nights of pain now.
    Not too sure what comes next, but whatever it is, I will keep you informed!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  44. Sweet RT,
    Likewise I am at a loss for words too...
    Please join BethieBaby and find that doctor for us.

    Hugs right backatcha...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  45. hehehe Sweet Pea;

    She DOES need those-
    right along with a tattoo that says "attention all doctors..."

    XOXO
    Mama D.


    Please send stickers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anne..you are NOT ignorant..the people that you are counting on..the one's WITH the knowledge are ignorant..you are putting your trust in them to help you..you wouldn't be there is you didn't need them..please remind them of that xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Eastern Indians are some of the nicest people there are! I agree with you they are hard to understand but wonderful people and I am not just saying that because I am married to one but it is true. He also is hard for most people to understand him but is a great guy, cant wait for you to meet him!

    ReplyDelete