[My] Life in Wisconsin

University of Minnesota... TP/AIT Procedure

Subtitled: "The Trouble With Casey's Referral."

Good Thursday Morning.

OK, Later than I'd anticipated...
Deep breath...
"Start over, Anna"...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Yesterday found Casey here early.
Sick. Tired. And in obvious pain.
But it was time to contact the University of Minnesota; and yes, I wanted to be in on those calls.

After placing her call to Dr. Sutherlands assistant, (and to the Finance Director), she was told that her doctor here had not returned a single call to them.
They had been trying to contact him since the 5th of November.

They had heard nothing back.
(As if Casey wasn't feeling poorly enough).

She then called to her doctors office here, and was put through to his nurse.
FYI. She was told she was on speakerphone; with myself and Casey.
(It might be important later).

At first this nurse 'claimed' she had received no phone calls from them.

When given the names of the people that had called and had requested for Dr "X" to call them back, she admitted that in fact she had received those calls.

BUT, she said she did not know of this procedure, and that she would not give it to the doctor until she knew about it. We answered her questions; but she had a hard time with ours...

Casey asked what the hold up was. Nurse then said she had nothing in writing.
We then got the fax number from her.
This finally, after she had 1st given us her mothers number in Upper Michigan.
¿WTfH?

I asked again why Dr "X" had not called MN back, she answered, "nothing gets to him unless it comes through me first." end~quote

Nurse needed to know the co$t as well.
Casey told her.

To say I was aghast at what this nurse said to her next is NOTHING when compared to how it left Casey feeling...

Nurse: "Do you realize this is our entire budget?"

Casey started crying, (can you blame her?)...
But crying only made her own words quite unintelligible.
I sweetly took over the phone at that point, (kissed a little backside), and ended the conversation almost as quickly as I had taken it over.

"Never let 'em see ya sweat"... (or however it goes).


As soon as Casey was able to talk, we called Minnesota back; speaking once again to Dr. Sutherlands assistant.
While she seemed to take it all in stride, she was more than a bit upset.
She said she would send all that this "nurse" required; along with the entire description of the whole procedure.
Kind of made it sound like she might flood their fax machine.
(Personally, I hope she did).

Casey has pneumonia, and all the coughing makes her pancreas hurt much more.
She has posted a blog about this... CLICK HERE.

(Rock ~Casey~ Hard Place)

Anyway, after that conversation, Casey had to go pick up a prescription. I told her to "wait a minute," ~and quickly penned a note to Dr. "X".

In the note, I asked him WHY he had not returned any of those phone calls, and gave him the dates etc of these calls.
After watching Casey for these past moments, trying to calm her while I was pissed beyond measure, that note might have been a bit scathing; (after all, I did write what his nurse had said about the co$t) of the procedure.
I enclosed ALL of our phone numbers, and asked that he get back to us.
I sealed the envelope, dated the outside of that too, wrote his name on it, marked it "Personal and Confidential".

I told Casey who to give the envelope to at the clinic, and to make sure that they gave it directly to Dr. "X". No problem.
(Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know).

While Casey waited for the prescription, she stopped by the "Contract Health" office. (This is where all of the insurance referrals go through). She filled them in on what had transpired.

THEY called the Administrator for her to talk to. Thank God someone is paying attention. He spoke to them all.
She left with her referral. (Budget be damned)!

Apparently Dr. "X" only works ½ day on Wednesdays. (The truth according to his nurse. When we had asked to speak with him earlier, she said he had patients all morning, and was gone in the PM).

So, not surprisingly, when my cell rang this morning it was Dr."X".
Sad that he had only called to tell me that he was upset and "took exception" to my note.
In laymen terms that translates to OMG was he pissed AT ME. (Oh well).
Said I made him feel stupid and a jerk.
I reminded him that I did not write those two words, and that I had a copy of that note.

He said that this was the 1st he knew of ANY of this all, and that a phone call would have done it.
"Not possible Doctor, see
your 'nurse' runs interference, and told me that unless we go through her first NOTHING goes to you."

He told me to make an appointment with him then. (Yeah, right).

He said he was there on Wednesday afternoons, but didn't take patients at that time. (Gee, and we were told he was gone)?

No, I didn't say those things, but I sure was thinking them. My attitude must have conveyed itself to him, and he told me I didn't have to get upset about this all.
I then asked him what HE would think if someone put a pricetag on his daughters head?
He also said he had no idea that she had even been seen in MN. I asked him who had written THAT referral? He said he didn't know, but that he would find out...

.~I am thinking that MORE than one head got rolled this morning. First by the Administrator; and then by the good doctor himself.

.


Cnv0857
A girl can only hope...

.

AT ANY RATE, CASEYS SURGERY IS A "GO"
And will be completely covered.
Praise God.
(And how very unChristian of me to wish it would come out of that nurses pocket).
Sorry.

sigh

Love to all.

XOXO
Anne

Counter
Counter

Originally posted to my Y! 360, Thursday November 13, 2008 - 01:01pm (CST)

28 comments:

  1. Thank God... and mom.

    is it wrong that I want to bitchslap that nurse? And YES I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, that is exactly how it all goes. I once worked for an Oncologist/Cardiologist and he never took phone calls until they were screened by us first. We would have a pile of notes that he needed to take care of and he never looked at them. We had to run along behind him and tell him what the note said (because it was the umpteenth one to come in from that person) and then he would turn and yell at us for bothering him for interrupting his train of thought. I watched him many times take those notes and wad them up and throw them in the trash without even looking at what was written on them.

    This is all the very thing that many people have had to deal with. Healthcare here in the states is NOT all it's cracked up to be. Only the wealthy or those with good insurance are even considered. The rest of us will have to suffer. Let them be the ones to suffer and I guarantee they will create a "Bill" of some kind that will give them medical care!

    I do hope this all gets resolved soon. Casey needs care and she needed it as of YESTERDAY. Not tomorrow or next week or next month or next year. Leave it up to rich doctors and they will hope the patient dies before they have to spend more time on someone they know they may not get paid for seeing.

    MONEY "is" the root of all evil. Whatever happened to COMPASSION for our fellowman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I am so glad that Casey's surgery will be covered completely!

    What the *H* is wrong with these so called 'nurses' and 'doctors'?????
    They have NO compassion whatsoever for their patients...

    Things start getting better NOW! This surgery comes in time for Casey to (hopefully!) start her 2009 off pain free!

    Much Love to the Both of you,

    Slurkie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Move forward to a successful and complete healing. Will keep praying for this situation.

    ReplyDelete

  5. hehehe
    Sweet Pea;

    You are NOT wrong to say that (or to want to do it either).
    I cannot tell you what was going through my own mind yesterday, watching Casey be almost inconsolable.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet PeachieBaby;
    From the $ end it IS resolved.
    I don't think that they will change their minds, (at least I hope they can't)...

    Now on to the surgery, next month.
    Until then it is patches and pills for her.

    I love the last line there Peach!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy now too Sweet SlurkieBaby!
    But I damn sure wasn't yesterday,
    (even earlier this morning when the Dr called and thought HE was pissed).
    hehehe
    AND... If he wasn't before he called, he sure was by the time he hung up.

    Not too sure if all the pain will be gone by Jan 1st- She is to be cut from sternum to pelvic bone I hear.
    Lots of muscle to heal there. Plus the "void" where the pancreas is taken out, and all the rest.
    But I do know this, after she heals we are looking forward to sure being in less pain.

    XOXO
    Me
    .

    ReplyDelete

  8. Well I thank you Mr. KhoolMan- for all those thoughts and prayers.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wooohooo Rock! Did anyone ever tell you .. YOU ROCK! Congrats to Casey and yourself for getting that confirmation and a scheduled date!

    Im with you.. as unChristian as it might be.. I hope it does come out of her pay.. the nerve.. the ... the.. GRRRRRRRRR! How .... I cant even think of the words.. If she doesnt know what the procedure is then you can not talk with the doctor? I be damned.. I would not have told her shit.. and demanded to talk to the doctor! ... oh hell.. gets my bloodpressure up just thinking about it!

    Now is time for the prayers and the REAL Hope for a wonderful future for that beautiful sweet child.

    Luv to you both!

    beepluvsrock.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a very ,very good mother.
    I love how you stand up for Casey & don't let anyone give you any lip!
    And Unchristian be damned! I hope it all comes out of her paycheck too
    Or that she loses her paycheck for being so uppity!
    Now thats unchristian!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, not at all, she was the one who decided to tell me that I was going to get fentanyl patches from Dr. "X" without consulting with him first. That isn't her decision to make, and Dr. "X" obviously said no, but did get me a quick appointment to the pain management clinic.

    When we saw her after not getting the prescription like she had said, I said, "I guess you really don't have to care or have any compassion because you get to go home and not live in constant pain."

    She had no reply, just a smug look and a shoulder shrug... UGHHHH I can't stand her...

    So go ahead and slap away sis!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mommy,

    This nurse just sends me through the roof. Especially when I have given her all she needed. When that first referral was made, she asked for info. I went down to the clinic and wrote a note that contained the procedure name, tentative consultation date, name of the doctor, name of his assistant, address, direct telephone number to assistant, and fax number.

    With all of this information they could have answered every single question they would have had. Since Dr. "X" has no idea who wrote out the first referral, I think the nurse never even discussed this with him. Why? Because it wasn't that important of a transplant? Because she "forgot"? She must've given it to someone because the referral was made. Undoubtedly, she didn't give it to the doctor.

    She seems to not know that she is BELOW the doctor. She works for him, not the other way around and someone needs to put her in her place.

    Oh, as for the money, they have an emergency fund for procedures like this so that the budget isn't affected.

    UGH...

    Well, I must head to bed here, I am so very tired...

    Love you much much!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sick to my stomach with reading how poorly you both have been treated! this is just NASTY! I am very happy however that the surgery is a go and hopefully pain free is in the very near future! Finally a normal life! Praise God for that! Lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Beep;
    We did ask to talk to the doctor more than a few times and she kept saying we had to go through her.
    Talk about exasperating...
    I didn't even want to talk to her in the 1st place.

    As far as my blood pressure goes...
    They used to say that in these times people can actually live on adrenalin.

    I do not call it adrenalin. I call it "bitch"...
    (There are times i cannot even stand myself anymore).
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    RockLuvsBeep.com

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go girl..........Call me and we'll go and throw her down and pound sand up her arse, and find a large cork to plug really plug her sorry self up.
    I send both of you my thoughts and prayers, for success of this procedure. God Bless you both.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry Sweet Bug;
    I got a little bit sidetracked reading about with Casey's stuff...

    That nurse only 'thought' I didn't respond to her cruelty.
    I can only hope she knows better now.
    Good grief, the $ it costs is very much. But if she doesn't have it done, that same money gets eaten up by all of the hospitalizations then, doesn't it?

    In a nutshell,
    She was a witch.
    I was a bitch.

    There are worse things... (I just couldn't think of anything more depraved at the moment).

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wrong Baby Girl.
    SHE WORKS FOR YOU, and for no one else.
    She also needs to be more tender, caring; (oh and a wee bit of professionalism wouldn't hurt either).

    As I wrote the above comment to Bug, it reminded me that I always have to be rewired and reminded the whole "Rock~Paper~Scissors" thing...

    Now my question is, if you put "Witch" and "Bitch" in there, who wins?

    I love ya foreverlonger you know.

    XOXO
    Mama D.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Sweet RubyBlue!
    this all made ME sick too.

    But I have one question for you before we proceed...
    Would you PLEASE define "normal" for me?
    (I am old and I forgot what that is).


    XOXO
    Auntie Me

    ReplyDelete

  19. Sweet Deb;
    God Bless YOU too. You made me laugh!!! (But methinks we would need more than you and me to get to her, and to hold her down).
    But that was sassy of me too.
    Oh well!
    (I shall say an extra prayer for forgiveness tonight).

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  20. That nurse should be fired...at the very least and there's nothing unChristian about that. Remember Jesus turning the tables over in the temple. I'll be he would have flipped that nurses desk right over and got up in her nasty little face over toying with your daughter's life! Love ya and continuing to pray for Casey, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet Sally!
    Where have you been hiding? hehehe

    I do not know what procedures they are to follow at the clinic, so I made no guess to her job, (or whether she still has one). This is not the first time she has screwed Casey over.

    I do know that Dr "X" called Casey last night and set up an appointment with him for next Wednesday. (Go figure).

    Loved the WWJD reference too!

    Thank you for the prayers!

    XOXO
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're good - very good! If I ever get sick, I want you on my side!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've not only got your 'side' Sweet RT;
    I've got your back!

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  24. The one who fights for and with the truth... For the one with the positive motive will surpass the one with the negative energy. It is good that always wins...

    Love you MUCH MUCH!
    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am sickened at so much of what I know that Casey has gone through, above and beyond her intense pain. It is almost incomprehensible to me that people in the medical field can be without compassion. SAD!

    Beyond that, I am glad you got the "GO" and the financial coverage. Way to GO!

    Hugs and prayers for it all to go (better than) well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. To think, that they are called "Professional Health Care Associates".
    They don't seem to be "professional" in any way, shape or form.
    As for Casey's "Health Care", I am seeing very little of THAT for her.
    Last, but not least, now I know why they're called "associates"
    It's a secret code in the meaning of this word ASSociates!
    Casey is so lucky to have a Mother like you, who will STAND UP to these
    idiots, and NOT let them take advantage of you, and have you walking
    away feeling as if you're not worth THEIR time. So you give up. So sad,
    but there has been cases like that. You fight to the finish because you
    KNOW that there's a loophole in there somewhere and you'll find it!
    Casey's life is worth MORE than ANY amount of money. You know they
    can do about that BUDGET? I think you already know the answer to that!
    I am so HAPPY that my Sweet Little One is able to get her surgery.
    It's long overdue for her to be able to live a normal, pain free life and NOT
    have to deal with all this CONSTANT BS! I know the healing process will
    be long for her, but it's small compared to what is at the end of the tunnel.
    A NEW BEGINNING! AMEN! Continuing my prayers for Casey AND you.

    Much love and big hugs ~ ღ♥§♥ღ Susan X♥X♥X♥ ღ♥§♥ღ

    ReplyDelete