[My] Life in Wisconsin

Mar 14 '09 -Kissing Pigs ~How Did YOU Grow Up?

  magnify
"The Full Worm Moon", with clouds.
Picture taken 3-13-09

In this month the ground softens and the earthworm casts reappear,
inviting the return of the robins.


The Northern Tribes knew this as the Full Crow Moon,
when the cawing of crows signals the end of winter.


Or the Full Crust Moon
because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night.


The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation.
.
.
Good Saturday Morning!
As you know, Casey was back to the hospital on Thursday night. (Technically Friday morning).
She is OK,
no better, but no worse for the wear.
We will be keeping our appointment in Minnesota as well.
We lost a whole night of sleep- (Methinks I made up for this last night- getting almost a record setting 9 hours)

Casey's colon is shutting down, probably has been for a year or two.
But this is fixable.
We will know how to fix it come Monday.

I received the following in my email a few days ago. While it is not new to any of us that have been online for more than a month, I thought that maybe it should rightfully be shared with everyone anyway.
Taking my cue from the last line, I believe it would make some wonderful dinnertime/classroom talk for the kids too.


FOR ALL US "KidS" WHO SURVIVED
(the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's).

pig kiss



  • First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
  • They took aspirin, ate bleu cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
  • Then, after those traumas, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
  • We had no child proof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets. Our parents actually took the time to teach us not to mess with things. When we were little, they actually even kept an eye on us.
  • Daycare was what Mom did. Or Grandma and Grandpa.
  • Dad went to work and made a life for us. We did not keep up with "The Joneses", but we were always happy, loved, warm, and fed.
  • As infants and children we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. And our cars were even made strong with American steel.
  • When we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, elbow pads or knee guards. Like everyone else, we "wiped out". But we got back up and dusted ourselves off without running home to Mama.
  • Not everyone passed the 2nd grade. We dealt with it, knowing that some kids just didn't get it the first time around.
  • Some kids even skipped a grade. We dealt with that too, knowing that other kids were very very smart.
  • We lived dangerously sometimes; not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
  • Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.
  • We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
  • We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
  • We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
  • We even got spanked, or got our butts kicked! We lived to tell about it, and to move on from there having learned a bit more respect for our parents, (and for our butts).
  • We didn't know dys-fun-ctional. And if we had, we would have just zeroed in on the "fun" in that word.
  • We would leave home in the morning and play all day; as long as we were back in time for supper, or when the streetlights came on.
  • Due to the diligence of our own parents (and others as well), we knew almost instinctively what we could do, and what would catch us hell when we got home. We usually chose to protect our butts, rather than suffer the wrath of our parents. They actually meant what they said.
  • As did our teachers. If we got spanked at school, the principal called our parents, and we would "get it" even worse when we got home.
  • When we went out to play, no one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.
  • We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
  • We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chatrooms. And yet, our lives were full.
  • WE HAD REAL FRIENDS. We just went outside and found them!
  • We got dirty, and had a great time anyway.
  • We wore hand me down clothes, and no one ever made fun of us. If they did we made the best of it anyway.
  • If we cussed, we did so in private because we didn't like the taste of soap. (But no one ever died from soap).
  • We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones, and even lost a few teeth. There were no lawsuits from these accidents.
  • We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt. The worms did not live in us forever.
  • On a related note, some of us even swallowed live goldfish. We lived through it, but the goldfish didn't.
  • We were given BB guns for our 6th birthdays.
  • We had to mow the lawns, shovel the snow, do the dishes, and take out the garbage. If we complained, we had to do this for a month.
  • If we argued among ourselves, the best remedy was to 'finish what we started'. (The other guy always looked worse). But we were still good friends the next day.
  • We made up games with sticks and tennis balls (and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes).
  • We rode bikes, -or (gasp) even "walked" to a friend's house. We knocked on the door, rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
  • Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!
  • The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
  • We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
You might want to show this to others who have had the luck to grow up as REAL KIDS, before lawyers regulated much of our lives "for our own good."
While you are at it, make sure to discuss it with your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Oh yes, this could make for some very lively supper table discussions. Hope you all will have the "fun" in doing so.

As for me, and my Saturday it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that I have a world of catching up to do with your own blogs.
(Sadly, a blind person could see how messy my house is).
Life goes on!
Casey just brought this one to my attention... Worth a listen for us all.


Lyrics | White Stripes lyrics - Effect And Cause lyrics


Have a 'wunnaful' weekend!

Again I ask, how did YOU grow up?
A better question...
How are we allowing our own children to grow up?

XOXO
Anne


Posted to my Y! 360, Saturday March 14, 2009 - 07:59am (CDT)

24 comments:

  1. I loved reading this - and it's all so true! Did I ever tell you about the time, when I was about 9 years old, that I fell out of one of our trees and broke my arm? It was many many years (actually about 30!) before I finally got up the courage to tell my mom the reason I fell out of that tree was because I was climbing it in a pair of her high heels! I made my best friend, who was climbing the tree with me, go hide mom's high heels under a bush before she went into the house to get my mom! LOL! With all the dumb stuff I did as a kid it's a wonder I made it to adulthood.

    Have a safe trip to Minnesota, and I hope they can do something for Casey to make her feel better while she's there instead of having to wait until summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High heels??? Holy crap, you deserved to fall out of the tree!
    hehehe


    You crack me up Sweet RT...

    ...As I remember my own broken arm. To be more specific, it was my left wrist.
    I was 12, and in the 6th grade...

    I had to go pitch hay down from the haymow during milking... But instead of getting on that right away, I decided to 'play' by climbing on the roof of the calf pen.
    Gravity, recent rain, (and bad luck) allowed that I fell off. I really got the wind knocked out of me, and as my lungs refilled with air, I realized that my wrist was in a very ugly world of hurt.

    Knowing how much trouble I would be in if I got caught, I hurried my little backside back up the hill (I'd tumbled down the barngrade too), and into the haymow.
    (At least no one could see me cry there as I pitched the hay). Yes, I did my work first!

    After I was done, I went in the house and showed Mom my little deformity.

    Taking one look, she asked how I did it?
    I told her that I fell in the haymow inbetween the lumber that Dad had stored up there (between the hay and the straw mows).

    She told me to change my barn clothes and get cleaned up as best I could while she went out and told Dad that I had to go to the ER because of my deformed little wrist.

    It was broken. But because I was needed to help out on the farm they didn't cast it, only splint.

    About a month later I fessed up to her- Knowing I would go to hell for my lie, and thinking that maybe hell could be avoided if I told the truth, even belatedly.

    She listened attentively.

    Then said those two little words that most kids have heard, (and choke on).
    She said, "I know."

    Not wanting to know HOW she "knew", I never did ask.
    Years later as she retold the story, I heard her (through her laughter), telling how she had been doing dishes and all she had to do was look out the window to see me break my arm.
    She was nice enough to recall (through her laughter), that she was surprised when I pitched the hay down before I came in.

    Yeah, moms are like that.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually only caught the last six months of the 70's but I do remember those things. I miss them. I can only dream of a world where Dalton can play outside by himself and be safe. There is no way he would be outside without an adult. I remember how nice it was to be able to do things on your own and not have someone watching over you all the time and sadly our children will never know this feeling. I can even remember a time where kids could go trick or treating by themselves.

    Anyway I do hope you have a safe trip and that things go well. Casey sure is a trooper.

    Lots of love! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this in an email a while back too. I thought the picture was priceless. Yucky in a way, but so so sweet!

    I remember when me and a friend of mine played on an old bicycle that had no rubber on the wheels. We took turns riding it down a hill on those rusty rims. We didn't have a lot of playthings like the kids do now. We used our imaginations. And felt lucky to occasionally get a used pie tin to made my own mud pies in out under the giant crab apple tree. Many of my toys were previously used. The new ones we got only came once a year at Christmas. Kids nowadays gets new toys all through the year. Then when Christmas comes around the parents think they have to buy 10 times more just to make it special! The old saying LESS is MORE means a lot more than people think. I had less but my for some reason I have more memories of the good times anyway. Now... the more the kids have.... the less they think of everything!

    Glad to hear Caseys suffering has eased up a bit for now. Make the best of those good days. The bad ones are always lurking around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Darla!
    Oh you ARE a young~un!
    hehehe
    But I like your dreams too. And wish a place for you to find for Mr. Dalton that he can be carefree!

    OMG! and speaking of not having someone 'watching you' 24/7.. In a way they always did watch- Somehow- Whether it was the neighbors or the parents.
    They ALWAYS knew!

    I remember taking the el in Chicago and going all over one day-
    Mama had given me a few $'s when we were visiting her sister, my aunt.
    A couple of cousins of mine from Lower Michigan were also there, and we had such a good day!
    Us, and in our teens! And we came back in one piece too!

    My mom and aunts were probably too busy having fun of their own to worry overmuch.
    We had to be back for dinner that night.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet PeachieBaby!
    The picture was more than suitable though- And I still have to go to their site and see what else they have.
    Sometimes these kinds of pics are so priceless!

    You are SO right about the toys- We made do with what our imaginations let us have too.
    But don't misunderstand, we always had bikes and wagons and stuff like that too. And dolls.
    I was never "into" dolls a lot, but had one little favorite one- NOT a Barbie either.
    Mary could play doll forever.
    Not me. I wanted to be outside all day.
    And it was tough when Ma said I had to be in...

    I also agree on the Christmas element- We never ever went overboard- Not even with my own kids.
    But there was one Christmas- Long ago. Jenne wanted a Mickey Mouse Talking Phone. I couldn't find one, and even if I would hvae, I would not have been able to afford it in those days. (Funny how that sticks with me) To this day, it is one (of very few) things that made me feel like a bad mommy.

    Less IS more Sweetie- Save for how I cherish my family and friends.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Times have changed. Some for the good, some not so good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny you should notice this.. I see it everyday.. we are raising our children to be whiners and neurotics.. Allergic to the world around them. A bunch of narcissistic little whimps that cant find their butts with both hands. and now.. Dependent on the government to see to every need. Now aint that a kick in the pants.


    sorry I do see it everyday.. it sickens me.

    beepluvsrock.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mommy!!!

    I love the Full Worm Moon! It makes so much sense why the first sighting of the robins signifies spring! Well, except for the ones at your house who seem to have lost their "migration chip" in their brain and stay all winter long!

    I hope Monday is so much more enlightening than the past three visits to the E.R. have been here in Green Bay... Ugh...

    I think the post about "surviving childhood" is a great lesson for everyone... A lesson for today's children who think everything will give you cancer, and a lesson for today's parents to stop sheltering their children...

    ~I could open child-proof bottles from the time I was a small toddler. I knew well enough to leave them alone, though, as medicine was only for when people are sick and it was dangerous to take it at any other time.

    ~I never wore a helmet, but I did know how to "look both ways" when crossing the street and to keep a constant eye out for traffic, potholes, people, animals and other types of dangers that could cause an accident. Accidents still happened and I'm sure I skinned my knees countless times... I got right back on that bike without worrying that I would get an awful bacterial infection in my wounds... At the end of the day I'd wash it up to remove all the dirt and I lived!

    ~I think that some parents now think all their children are above average so therefore tell the doctors that there must be a disease causing their child to get a "C" in school... So many conditions have been developed in the past 15 years. Some have true standing while others are overdiagnosed WAY too often. I do believe there are such things as A.D.D. (attention deficit disorder) but I side with my college psychology teacher when she said it's overdiagnosed. She did have a few confirmed cases and with those kids, they looked at the bookshelf of toys she had, grabbed every single one of them, played with them for about 3 seconds a piece and couldn't sit still for over 2 minutes straight. Those are the few cases where the child really doesn't have the ability to concentrate.... But a child that acts out every now and then shouldn't be treated for having disrespect... That is taught by the parents and any type of lack of respect should be reprimanded by the parents...

    ~I rode in the back of more than a few pick-up trucks, drank from the hose, helped out with picking rocks in the field working alongside a running/moving tractor, and also shared soft drinks with friends... Well, unless someone was REALLY sick...

    ~I ate quite the amount of sugary treats too, and ALWAYS played outside! Now they have to have ads on the TV telling kids to play outside for 30 minutes a day... 30 MINUTES?!?!?!?! I think I would've complained and asked for more time outside!!!

    ~Oh, and about complaining: I knew that if I complained and asked for something one time and the answer was "NO" to not ask again... No meant no... There was no temper tantrums in the middle of stores over candy bars... If we tried that, we got spankings...

    ~Spankings? YES! Hand across the backside, in public or not, true SPANKINGS... They didn't hurt, but they did tell us we had disappointed Mom and we'd better show her some respect. It injured our pride, that's why we cried, and it taught us right from wrong...

    ~It is so true that parents "actually meant what they said". Now parents will threaten spankings, time-outs, no candy or no more playing, but very few of these threats are carried out. This teaches the child that they can continue the wrong-doing because they will never be punished for it. How do these parents think their children will react to the law??? They'll just think that the punishment is just a threat and they can get away with it...

    ~About the soap-swallowing when you swore... Now parents won't do it because they're scared of poisoning their child... Guess what... Stool softeners are SOAP!!! Someone out there made alot of money by putting soap into a pill... Soap will not kill

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing how any one of us survived....

    ReplyDelete

  11. You are right Sweet Oka;
    Some have lost all sense of respect and responsibility.
    Some have to raise themselves.

    ...And after all that I have seen and lived through, I only WISH I would something to call it.

    The world is rampant.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Beep;
    What?
    I am not blind?! Am I?
    Well, without my glasses or contacts I am legally blind, but that's beside the point...

    Allergic to the world. I like that-
    But I think again they are allergic to sweat and backbone.


    XOXO
    Me

    RockLuvsBeep.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet CaseyFace...
    WOW! You have written of wonderful childhood experiences. Yes, even the bloodied knees and hands.

    And who told you to climb all the way up our silo anyway???
    (I have thanked God many times that I only "heard" about that).

    My funniest memory of pickup trucks?
    We were coming home from a Girl Scout meeting.
    Mrs. Sturke had picked us up in their truck. And it was a gorgeous day.
    She was early, and we had all been given little brown bags to go.
    We all climbed into the back of her truck.
    *Keep in mind that we were always told that anything could get tossed as long as the birds would eat it.
    I separated my sandwich, and took one bite. It didn't have any nuts in it. (Must have been my first experience with creamy style peanut butter).
    I didn't like it.
    So I simply tossed it without either looking or thinking.
    It landed on a cars windshield behind us.
    WHERE THE HECK DID HE COME FROM ANYWAY??? We were on the backroads.
    No there weren't automatic sprays to clean windows back then.
    The poor guy turned on his wipers, and pulled over.
    .... Hmmm It was on Freddie Bartz' road, and the thought just occurred to me. HAHAHA

    Love to you
    Forevermorelonger.

    XOXO
    Mama D.

    hehehe
    (Do use Ivory soap if you ever feel the need to wash a kids mouth out).

    ReplyDelete

  14. I checked Sweet Pea.
    I still have a pulse too.

    XOXO
    Mama D.

    ReplyDelete


  15. Am thinking one, or all, of these things MUST be blamed for your chronic pancreatitis.
    Who shall I sue? Please let me know.
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's the words to the above song.
    (For those of us with dial up)

    ***********
    "Effect and Cause"
    by White Stripes


    I guess you have to have a problem
    If you want to 'vent a contraption
    Well you cause a trainwreck
    And then you put me in traction
    First came an action
    And then a reaction
    But you can't switch around
    For your own satisfaction
    Well you burnt my house down
    And then got mad at my reaction

    Well in every complicated situation
    There's a human relation
    To make sense of it all
    Take a whole lot of concentration
    Well you can't blame her baby
    For her pregnant ma
    And if there's one of these
    On her auto applause

    It's just that you can't just take the effect and make it the cause

    Well you can't take the effect
    And make it the cause
    I didn't rob a bank
    Cos you made up the law
    Blame me for robbing peter
    Don't you blame paul
    Can't take the effect
    And make it the cause

    I ain't the reason that you gave me
    No reason to return your call
    You built a house of cards
    And got shocked when you saw them fall
    Well I ain't saying I'm innocent
    In fact the reverse
    But if your heading to the grave
    Don't blame the hearse
    You're like a little girl yelling at her brother
    Cos you lost his ball

    You keep blaming me for what you did
    And that ain't all
    The way you clean up the wreck
    Is enough to give one pause
    You seem to forget just how this song started
    I'm reacting to you
    Cos you left me broken~hearted

    It's just that you can't just take the effect and make it the cause

    Well you can't take the effect
    And make it the cause
    I didn't rob a bank
    Cos you made up the law
    Blame me for robbing peter
    Don't you blame paul
    Can't take the effect
    And make it the cause
    ***********

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up in the 80's.

    I didn't wear a helmet or kneepads while I rode my bike-- Guess what? I'm OK!
    I drank from the garden hose-- Guess what?? I'm OK!
    I spent more time outside than in-- Guess what??? The dirt didn't kill me!

    Yes, I think today's kids are WAY more spoiled than what we were 'back in the day'. This includes my 6 year old daughter... Unfortunately, I think it's just become a way of life to let them sit in front of the TV, computer, video games, etc. There are very few who actually 'go outside and play'. Maybe if we as parents, got up and did things with our children, they wouldn't be the whiny, self-absorbed people we are letting the turn into!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the question we have to ask is how much more Evil has been allowed to enter the world since Sunday has become just another day. More importantly though; How much more will we allow? Finger pointing is pointless. (forgive the pun) Ask not.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet SlurkieBaby!
    Oh your words are Heaven sent!
    It is the time we actually spend with our parents that is ever so important to our future successes and/or failures. (And there will be heartbreaks as well as triumphs)...

    God love ya.
    Now get outside, please.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  20. Your pun cracked me up.

    Sweet SD;
    You are basically correct...
    And yet I do not know if the evil enters because we simply miss mass, or are not a paid member of any congregation-
    I am thinking more along the lines that it is ALL a way of life- a morality issue- or one of ethics perhaps...
    Yet all in all, Sunday Mass is just that. Sunday mass.
    Know that there are those of us that would go if we could, and do not judge me by my absence there. (Methinks my priest does MORE than enough of that).
    We have to live our lives accordingly during the rest of the week too.

    There are others, like my mom before she died that had no way of getting to/from mass. And yet, she had more Faith and religion than most holy men I have ever met.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  21. Depends upon who is raising the babies...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh dear! You speak from a strictly Catholic point of view, and are defensive for reason I had no intention of striking on your heart. I was speaking of human's slow and steady drift away from God our Father and Jesus His Son. I am not without sin, and therefore throwing no stones. I apologize, My statement was not gotten as it was intended. I agree that we will all be judged by what's in our hearts every day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great blog! I am sorry Casey was back in the hopsital and I'll be continuing to pray for you all! Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete