[My] Life in Wisconsin

Pancake & Waffle Mix Recalled. (NOT about peanuts)

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/wholefood203_09.html
I am not even going to hazard a guess at how THIS got contaminated with Salmonella...

I make my "pennycakes" from scratch, but always have some type of mix on hand as well.

Check the states listings at the bottom.
If you, or someone you love, lives in those states please copy and send to them.
(If it's someone you despise, YOU make the call on whether to forward it or not).
hehehe

XOXO
Anne

**************


Whole Foods Market Voluntarily Recalls 365 Organic Everyday Value Brand Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix for Possible Health Risk

Contact:
Libba Letton, Whole Foods Market
512-542-3031

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- March 5, 2008 – Whole Foods Market announced the recall of its 365 Everyday Value Brand Organic Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake and Waffle Mix, which may have potential salmonella contamination. No other Whole Foods Market, 365 or 365 Organic products are affected.

The product, sold in two pound bags with Best Before dates of Nov 1 2009 and Nov 2 2009 stamped on the top, displays the following UPC code:

* 99482-42453: 365 Everyday value Brand Organic Buttermilk Pancake and Waffle Mix, 100% Whole Wheat

Salmonella is a food-borne illness that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

No illnesses have been reported in connection with this issue to date. There is very low risk of illness when preparation directions on the bag are followed and the product is not consumed raw or undercooked. Salmonella bacteria is killed at a temperature of 160° F.

If consumers have this product with the indicated UPC codes and Best Before dates, they may return it to the store for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company by calling 512-542-0656.

Whole Foods Market has removed the affected lot codes from all store shelves. Product was distributed to 19 states including Florida, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Utah, California, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

9 comments:

  1. nice.

    Yet another reason to make from scratch. I avoid mixes generally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, I will have to dig a bit (prolly tomorrow, I got meetings tonight) to get the info, but there is a danger to using outdated Pancake mixes too. Something about a flour mold, and it has been deadly. I am gonna send a friend here to look at this, she lives in one of those states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep my state is on there, I have recently purchase some not sure if it is this kinda but gonna check! Thank you both for sharing this with me :)
    (((((HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about mold in flour, but I have seen the weevils.
    But I don't think they kill you.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete

  5. Good luck with that!
    (And special thanks for letting me know you were here)!

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't use that brand of pancake mix. I do, however, keep my mix in the freezer to keep from finding weevils. I do the same with my regular flour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something else I have not had in a verrrrrrry long time! Like donuts, pancakes and waffles tend to sit in my stomach like a rock. I don't like that feeling, so I stopped eating them. I sure do miss them though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness way to many recalls lately! Thanks again my friend! Hugs hope your feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete