[My] Life in Wisconsin

Copyright; Multiply; their Terms of Service, and What They Mean To You


http://astranavigo08.multiply.com/journal/item/408

Please read; then sign the petition...



From "The Celestial Navigator"

Some of you have expressed serious concern over the past few weeks regarding Multiply's Terms of Service.  To that end, I was asked by a couple of people who are also writers, and who also post original material on this site, to craft a petition requesting that Multiply change its Terms of Service.

Why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because Multiply is still operating (indeed; they're the only major social-net which is still so-operating) under the TOS's which were used by Facebook and the others - they literally hold the right to your material, and may use it any way they choose.

As anyone who's ever published anything can tell you, this is serious, and significant.

From the TOS document:

"You retain all ownership rights in your Member Content. However, by posting Content to the Website, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to Multiply (and its successors) an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, assignable, royalty free, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, distribute and to prepare derivative works of such Content in connection with the Website and the Service, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."


In plain terms - you still own your material, but if you use Multiply to publish it, you also surrender a license to them - for free - to use that material. 

  • They can sell your original photos.
  • They can re-publish your serialized novels or short-stories.
  • They can take your video-series, and sell them for profit.

This won't apply to some of you, who use Multiply for a far-less-serious method of casual communication between your online friends.  

However, for those of us who view our material as having genuine value, not just emotional, but intrinsic, this is a very serious problem.

A few months ago, Facebook users created a petition, obtained over 10,000 signatures, and got that material in the hands of the media at the same time that they submitted it to Facebook for their consideration.   Facebook recognized that they were on the wrong side of history, and changed their TOS.

I have created a petition which may be found here:  (Click Here)   What I'm asking you to do - every one of you - is this:

1.    Go to the petition-site and follow the instructions.   If you feel like signing the petition, please use the "Guestbook" to do so with an affirmative statement.

2.     Forward a link to this post - the one you're reading - to every one of your friend's-list.   Yes; some will get duplicates, because we share, in a lot of cases, mutual friends.   That's all right.

3.    Encourage them to do the same thing - the sooner this petition goes 'viral', the sooner we'll reach our goal, which is to protect the material we've posted here.

4.    Please do not copy or create a new petition - refer people to this one.  Multiple petitions just confuse the issue - we want one petition with many thousands of signatures; in this way, it convinces Multiply that we're a serious group of people who want change, rather than a disorganized group with no cohesiveness.   Also, this looks much better when it's presented to media-outlets for coverage.


It has been my experience that these things do not change unless they're changed by people who care.   In the case of those of you who have put hours and hours (sometimes months and years) into the material you've posted here in the hopes of finding a publisher or gaining the attention of other writers with the eye to making a living from your writing, the existing Terms of Service are a serious impediment to your efforts, and could prevent you from publishing anything at all.

None of us who create for a living - or even a hobby - want to see our material co-opted by someone else.

Sign the petition today!

I'll thank you for it.

Best,

-- Will ("Astra")

12 comments:

  1. Here is the direct link: http://multiplypetition.multiply.com/

    If you have posted any photos, or any of your own words that you would rather NOT see anyplace else, please sign...

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this. I have already signed. But it is super important to those of us who write for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of mixed on this. I guess because of my opinion on what Multiply should be used for??? and secondly because most people use the "free" Multiply and not the Premium version. I for one think you should have more rights under the Premium version.

    I know my opinion is going to step on toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Oka;
    I don't understand why you might be conflicted
    It is to not have Multiply steal our original stuff. (Doesn't matter is it's premium or not). As it reads now, Multiply CAN take any/everything. Pictures, words, etc. What if, entirely, by accident I take a picture that I wish to share, and it turns out to be a shot in a million?

    This is only one of the reasons I rarely (only twice/thrice to date) post any of my poetry online. Copyright or no, they could take it and publish it.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really don't need to worry about Multiply's 'mission statement', or what Multiply should be 'used for'.

    That's not relevant to the conversation here.

    What IS relevant is the fact that Multiply owns the right to use anything that's posted here -- that right is perpetual (we can DIE, and they'll still be able to use our material) - go read the TOS document, and you'll see this, plainly.

    The real issue also has nothing to do with Premium or standard memberships - again; it has to do with the TOS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess this is what it boils down to for me. I don't use Multiply as a creative means of expression, just as a way to communicate with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then you're not affected by any of this. In that case, you really don't need to sign this petition - it doesn't apply.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, if I'm not using Multiply to express my creativity, just using it to blog the BS that goes on in my life... This petition doesn't apply to me??

    But who deems what as creative and not creative? Something that is creative to me may not be creative to you and vice-versa... So then should I sign the petition to protect my BS blogs that may only be creative to me??

    Honestly, this is how I feel:
    I don't care if multiply takes one of my blogs and publishes it. So what? So what if they don't pay me for it?? I didn't write it to get paid in the first place... So I guess the petition REALLY doesn't apply to me, so I shall just agree to disagree with it all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I highly doubt any of my photos or writings would be "print-worthy" by Multiply in other places. But I certainly understand that those who have a talent for such things would not want their works used in other places and then have Multiply or some other source take credit for it.

    ReplyDelete