[My] Life in Wisconsin

You Think You Work? My Tribute to a Wonderful Working Mom...



Good Morning Everyone;
I received this beautiful letter in my email last week.
In my book this family is Family of the Year! Any year. Every year.


Read this.  Then tell me your definition of work...

May Kristin forgive me...

***** Here is the letter I received, -edited for personal content-

Good Morning!
6:45am-
Kids in bean bags chairs, drinking chocolate milk, watching Little Einstein's.
I have a few minutes to touch base with you all.

Hard to believe summer is almost gone!
Not sure where it all went?  
We had a productive summer-  And I have been busy doing mom "stuff"-
Just trying to keep it all controlled chaos.

Kids start school Wednesday -the 1st of September. (My G-A-K squad had 4 weeks of prep for 4-year-old kindergarten).
It will be odd as it has been a LOOOONG time since I have not had "my" kids home for a few hours during the day.

Sean took Drivers Ed, & now has his temps! He will be able to get licensed in December. Hard for me to believe he will be 16 next week, & a Junior in HS this year! Of course he is bigger than mom, & looks manly. Not a little boy anymore.
I remember him, my little towhead, tagging the big kids around.  2 more years & he will be an adult  WOW! 
HS soccer has started already- One tourney done & regulation games have started.
I will be driver till Seth gets his license as his ride graduated; & so will be a bit of running for me this year.
We love Ashwaubenon school so far & don't regret our decision to school-choice the kids.

We did plant a garden-
Each child got to pick one variety of seed & watch it grow- 
BUT the pumpkins kind of took over the entire garden.
We have 2 large, already orange, pumpkins!

Our favorite is our BUTT pumpkin! (See top picture).
It grew through the chain link fence, & it looks like it is someone bending over!

We have not picked much- a few cukes & tomatoes, beans and carrots too. My raspberries didn't fare so hot. But it was fun to see a garden through little ones eyes again. 

Gabe's room got a new floor; & he chose blue for his wall color. Did a hard flooring in there too, wood look, (couldn't afford the real stuff), but 200% better than the old carpet!
Only one problem with that. Steve left
(brown) trim paint in there; & Gabe decided to paint the walls with it. So we still have a bit of "finish" work in there. 

We replaced our dinosaur fridge (at least 20 years old)! It gave off more heat than the AC could compensate for! LOL  

And our couches looked nice, but went to the curb. You couldn't get out of them. (Felt like Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnett show)!  You would either have to have someone pull you out, or make numerous attempts.

We had our mini-vacation; including one to one the many soccer tourneys we had for summer league.

We did our family camp and had a great time, in spite of a wicked storm one night.

10 kids in & out for foster care. [We] let one go after 8 months. It's odd, him not being here, but I do not miss the dissension he created.
I am a much calmer "mom" now. Just an incredible amount of stress removed! 

If all goes as planned an adoption will take place the 22 of Sept & we will have our little girl too. It has been a long year but our God has seen us through.
It is a "Good" battle to fight.

Cassie had another bout of rejection but seems alright for now. She spent a week in UW~Madison hospital.

Maria finished her teaching degree, and just needs a job. (Milwaukee let 600 teachers go, so it could be tough to find one).

Shane & Toni! (I am getting excited at becoming a granny in Oct). Her baby shower is this coming weekend.

I am a lead teacher for our Pre-K Children's Church program- And we are revamping the program, so a bit of extra work in my spare time.

Steve's knee is doing well after his replacement in April.
No pain. It still needs to strengthen as it feels tired if he pushes it. 

I have been seeing the chiropractor, as the reg doc just gives me meds, & I am not a fan of that.
I am doing exercises, -NOT MY STRONG SUIT, but I am regaining my strength in my legs. Balance too. I just think it is getting old, and my knees are wearing out with arthritis.

We are still half-done with our laundry room/bath on the main floor that Steve started. We have the walls done but no floor and are walking on concrete. Hope to get it in before winter as it is pretty cold already - & its still hot outside.

Hope this finds you all content in your life full of love, laughter, and the challenges that we all face as a part of our refining process.
Know I continue to remember you all in my prayers & thoughts throughout my day  

Love, Kristin

*****
My reply- Now. Very overdue and belated...

My Dearest Kristin;
First of all, forgive me for replying to you this way, but I needed to show you off a little. For all you do, - and for knowing that at times it is thankless work... You persevere and are so very happy!

You are a goddess my dear! 
I don't know how you do it?!?  I couldn't, that's for sure.
My 'semi-educated' guess, (from raising only 4 children), is that 99% of the population couldn't keep up with the 2 of you either. (By keeping up, I mean physically, mentally and emotionally)!
I cannot believe the only problem you have is your knees with arthritis! I would be insane, and sequestered in a quiet, warm, dark room -with lots of Kleenex! hehehe

I am happy that Steve's knee is doing so well. Many many people have that same surgery and only regret it.   He is very fortunate.
As you both are, to have each other!

Allow me to recap...
  • You have a garden
  • You cook 3 square meals a day
  • 3  Four-year-olds that start kindergarten today
  • 1  Sixteen-year-old in Drivers Ed that must to be taken out for driving lessons
  • 1 that was at Madison for her potential kidney rejection
  • 1 that has graduated college
  • You are remodeling the bath and laundry
    • You must do a zillion loads of wash every day?
  • Repainting Gabe's room-  hehehe 
    • (I can laugh, it didn't happen to me).
  • You have traveled to many soccer tournaments throughout the state
  • You have also had 10 extra children in and out of your home all summer long
  • You have taken your vacation with all of the above children and hubby-
  • You are in the process of yet another adotion
  • Shortly, you will be Grandma too!
  • And, you are volunteering to revamp the Pre K Church Programs, in your "spare time"


To you both- Thank you for being so wonderful- and happy- and loving! 
The example you set for all of the children is a legacy to be so very proud of!  (
But you sure raise the bar for the rest of the world).

Know how proud I am to have you all as part of my family. I could not have handpicked any better!

Please give my love to everyone, and kiss those triplets for me too!


Kristins Triplets


Know too that you are all always in my own heart and prayers.


All my love. Always.

XOXO
Me


PS 
You wrote, "
we are revamping the program, so a bit of extra work in my spare time."
How in the world is it possible that you even have any "spare time" ???

*****


And now, to all of my friends on here- Are you fortunate enough to have such inspiration and love around yourselves?
It is my most sincere hope that you do!


I thought I knew how to work and be busy.  Now?  I beg to differ with myself.

XOXO
Me


Have a 'wunnaful' Wednesday!


XOXO
Me


38 comments:

  1. That was MY first reaction to her letter as well.
    And I knew I had to write back... hehehe

    They are an awesome family- ever changing and yet always still the same too.
    Just grand people in every sense of any good word.

    Kristin has already replied to me- hehehe
    I think I may have embarrassed her a little. But I didn't mean to do that. I wouldn't ever!
    Just that I believe she/they deserve so much more credit than everyday life can remember to give out enough of.

    She deserves every bit of KUDOS that she gets here.

    XOXO
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful woman indeed.

    oxox,
    snotball

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, my Sweet Snotball, like you, my Kristin is ever too humble for her own good too!
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  4. And here I sit, still chuckling at the pumpkin on top! hehehe

    ...Not to mention the smile for those 3 little pumpkins in the 2nd picture!

    XOXO
    me

    Must fly for now. I am running so late once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely falls under Gods Angels are among us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabie picked a great set of parents!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

  7. Sweet Pamela;
    You are more than correct- And she just HAD to be an angel in a prior life as well!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Pea;
    I have said it for years (almost 5 as a matter of fact)...
    Master Gabriel is very very smart. hehehe

    And now he is more and more and more secure every day. "Love" does that!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. As an added PS here...
    Kristin has now sent me pictures of the first day of school.
    I must get to stealing them.
    (Er, I mean 'sharing' of course). hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  10. Whoo Hoo

    Pics are ready...

    Wait for them...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~

    ~

    Seth is thinking, "Gee only 18 more months of high school!"
    hehehe
    Or maybe he's thinking of girls...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaylee

    ~

    ~

    A beautiful smile for her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mommy!

    You're so right: we could NOT have picked a better family for Gabriel to be a part of... He is so much better there, HAPPY, FREE, SAFE, SECURE, LOVED... and the list goes on and on and on!!! We're so very blessed to have their family be a part of ours, and to know that we can still visit Master Gabriel when we can! :D Many other foster/adopted families wouldn't be so nice and compassionate...

    I just can't imagine where she gets any free time to devote out! I guess when you're that busy, though, ever minute of your schedule is given out to something/someone else... She is so humble, just think of all the good she does for the kids, and the entire world everyday! That is exactly the type of soul I strive to be everyday... Just like you, she will give herself up to anyone who needs it, and never think twice about doing so because of the love you both have for others!!

    I can only hope to be like you both someday when I have kids of my own. To always put them first no matter how "overlooked" I might feel, as I'll know that the children will give back so much more to me, with just one smile, than I've ever hoped for! To have a love for my children that doesn't waiver or falter even when the harshest words come from their mouths during those "rough" times... You BOTH are wonderful people, and even more wonderful mothers!

    I cannot believe that Gabe is starting KINDERGARTEN already!!! Where did the time go??? I remember when he was just a tiny infant and he'd look up at me with those gorgeous, loving, and kind eyes when I fed him his bottle! Then, the most wonderful experience, he'd fall asleep in my arms... There's nothing better than a child or an animal trusting/loving you enough to fall asleep in your arms. They truly are God's most perfect spirits!!!

    I must close for now, I'm kind of hungry and must eat some of that OH SO YUMMY beef stroganoff that you made yesterday! MMM MMM MMM!!!! I'll continue to keep Kristen's whole family in my heart and prayers, and you too!

    Love you MUCH MUCH!
    ~CaseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Master Gabriel

    ~

    ~

    A more serious scholar?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both... Definitely both... I remember how all the guys were in HS...

    "Girls, girls, girls... Food... Sports... Girls... Graduation... Girls... Sleeeeeeepppppp.... Girls..."

    Hee hee hee...

    Only I bet he treats girls absolutely wonderfully, thanks to the examples from his parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ya know, he never really was an enthusiastic photo-taker... We used to have to BEG to get him to smile for the camera!! That's our Gabe!!!! :D I'll be willing to bet that he'll adore school like we all did... AND he'll excel at it! I can see him being a doctor or any other "healing" profession... He definitely has the spirit and love for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe you are right Sweet Casey-
    Precious to see that in a young man's eyes.

    ReplyDelete

  18. Right again!
    He possesses the soul and the kindness too.
    -Well once he got past those noisy tantrums.
    hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete

  19. We, more importantly Gabriel himself- (Seth, Kaylee and Alexis too), are the most fortunate of all.

    And I must thank you for the compliments, though I surely could not hold a candle to Kristin and her family!

    All is right with the world.

    You will be a wonderful and kind mother too! And yes, the feeling of a sleeping baby is precious to behold.

    I love you.

    XOXO
    Mama D.

    ReplyDelete

  20. Yes, she is the prime example of what we should ALL be striving for every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We could have given him more of that had his birthmother not interfered all the time.
    Had my back been better.
    Had your pancreas not been so dang stubborn.
    If ...
    If ...
    If ... (The list could go on and on).

    The world, ours, cannot possibly revolve around any of these "ifs" though.
    Not when I see such happiness in his eyes.
    Not when I see such happiness, joy and love coming from ALL of them!
    He is SO MUCH BETTER, all the way around!

    And we are so richly blessed by all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i worked with foster parents for over 20 years and i have always said that foster parents are the kings and queens of the universe.. generous, compassionate people. God bless them!

    ReplyDelete

  23. Right you are Sweet SissyKrissiePoo!
    Your description is right on!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here is one of everyone ready at once...

    ~

    ~

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  25. The GAK crew at school-

    ~

    ~

    See the smile now?

    XOXO
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  26. And finally, Lexie and Kaylee on Seans birthday!

    ~

    ~

    What beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always knew he was one smart cookie....

    ReplyDelete
  28. It wasn't meant to be. Gabie was MEANT to be a GAK triplet.

    He has a destiny that can ONLY be fulfilled there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. An amazing and wonderful story Anna thank you for posting it and the photos

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with all the WOW's...and I'll put in my own....WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We were blessed to meet them this year when my oldest three played on the same soccer team as Seth. It didn't take me too long to figure out who Gabe was, knowing you. It was such a blessing to know them and see Gabe after all that I had heard from you. He is a delightful little guy!
    Christy
    mom to the great eight
    http

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very true.
    I thank you for the reminder of our 'roots' from the other side.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mr Lester-
    She is an amazing and wonderful woman.
    I don't kid myself that this isn't hard either. it would be much too hard for my particular level of patience. (My own kids used that almost all up- Or maybe that was their hormones). hehehe

    XOXO
    Me

    Glad you enjoyed it -and the pics too. (Thank Kristin for the whole thing)!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sweet Christy!
    I am so happy to hear from you!
    Happier still that you got to meet them all.
    I giggled at you 'knowing' Gabriel too! He is so happy now that it makes me cry such happy tears for him, and from the depths of my soul too. (Although I am sure he is also a handful at times). hehehe

    Yours too should also be included in that "Family of the Year" award.

    I have NO idea how you two ladies do it!
    SO MUCH LOVE!

    Love to you all!

    XOXO
    Me

    PS
    I have not been to your own blog for so long- And am honored that you did see this posting!
    Had just gotten an update about your own remodeling, and now it is gone from my homepage!?!?
    Dang Yahoo.

    ReplyDelete