[My] Life in Wisconsin

A Prayer- And a Promise.


As most of you know, I am, quite proudly Native American! Next month we celebrate Native American Heritage Month.
I have found this poem to have a very special beauty to me, in a special place in my heart...
My love to all

XOXO
Me

PS
I will post an update very soon. Promise.




Sunset at home



Ojibwa Prayer

Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds
And whose breath gives life to everyone,
Hear me.
I come to you as one of your many children;

I am weak-  I am small-  I need your wisdom and your strength.
Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever
behold the red and purple sunsets.

Make my hands respect the things you have made,

and make my ears sharp so I may hear your voice.
Make me wise, so that I may understand what you
have taught my people

and The lessons you have hidden in each leaf
and each rock.
I ask for wisdom and strength,
Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able
to fight my greatest enemy, myself.

Make me ever ready to come before you with
clean hands and a straight eye,
So as life fades away as a fading sunset,
My spirit may come to you without shame.

 -Author Unknown


It really doesn't matter who composed this prayer.
It's what the prayer means that's important.


8 comments:


  1. Time for bed now!

    Sleep tight all, and I will see you in the morning.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this originally in the Ojibwa language? Such great wisdom. You never hear about the wisdom of the people who were here first.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I have read it before, also- It touches me so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is one of those poems that have been around since time immemorial-
    Most have given credit to the Ojibwe/Chippewa- Yet there are others that have also been accredited with it.
    As the sign on the bottom says, it doesn't really matter as long as you understand what you have read, and try to live so simplistically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing people tend to look over about the Native Americans...... they all highly respected nature and gave Thanks to their surroundings just for being there. Everything works together when its working together. The Native Americans understand that rule.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Sweet PeachieBaby-
    You are right!
    Oh, there were so many things that struck a chord with me, inside; even before I had the proof that I am NA.
    I not only got the proof, but I now know why.

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete